Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Trawler Bradford

calvin

hello everyone, first of all i would like to thank all the help up to now regarding my grandfathers frank baxter on another thread. i have another question, my great uncle percy kirby englefield was lost on the hmt bradford in 1916 and iwondered if anyone could help regarding info. about how the ship was lost and any info. about the ship itself. thanks again regards john baxter

HMT Bradford was lost in a gale near Cork 28 Nov 1916

Hello John, as regards the Bradford -

Sank 28th October 1916 - BRADFORD H.M.T. ARMED NAVY TRAWLER - 163 tons Wreck located OLD HEAD OF KINSALE - SOME SOURCES SAY CAPE CLEAR.

I may have a little more on my home PC and will post this evening (if the Forum hasn't already answered your questions).

Jarvis

John, I'm afraid I don't have much on the HMT Bradford - just a 'scratch pad' from various web searches.

Funny thing is I don't remember why I was researching her, anyway I have a couple of the victims and a little more on her. A bit here-and-there....

HMT Bradford 829 1896 Based Queenstown , Nov 1914 to loss in Gale near Cork 28 Nov 1916

Hired Armed Trawler

http://www.iol.ie/~mkeniry/Navalfleetsqueenstown.htm

Jacobs, Engineman George Richard, 1239/S (Ch.) H.M. Trawler "Bradford."Royal Navy

Name: JACOBS, GEORGE RICHARD

Initials: G R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M. Trawler "Bradford."

Date of Death: 26/10/1916

Service No: 1239/S(Ch)

Additional information: Husband of Nellie Jacobs, of 168, Patrick St., Grimsby.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In North-East part.

Cemetery: PULLA GRAVEYARD

ED, Dugald, Little Catalina, R.N.R., lost in the trawler Bradford, October, 1916

Jarvis

hello everyone, first of all i would like to thank all the help up to now regarding my grandfathers frank baxter on another thread. i have another question, my great uncle percy kirby englefield was lost on the hmt bradford in 1916 and iwondered if anyone could help regarding info. about how the ship was lost and any info. about the ship itself. thanks again regards john baxter

John, a few details

HMT BRADFORD Launched 1896, Builders Mackie & Thomson, Goven. Built for Hagerup & Doughty, registered to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co. ON. 106677.

Displacement 163 TG, Armament 1x6pdr, Admty No. 829, Port Reg. GY132. Requisitioned 1914. Foundered near the Old Head of Kinsale 28th Oct. 1916

Regards John

Name: ENGLEFIELD, PERCY

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M. Trawler "Bradford."

Date of Death: 26/10/1916

Service No: 174TC

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 20.

Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Copies of his service cards are at Kew in BT 377/7 on microfiche.

• 1 year later...
Guest mgmurphy3

Hi ya,

Just in case anybody is researching these older threads in relation to the HMT BRADFORD, I was in the Pulla

cemetery Dungarven, Co.Waterford, Ireland and I photographed the CWGC Headstone of G R Jacobs.

The cemetery is a common grave site for the dead of the Great Famine of 1845. Mass grave.

G R Jacobs is the only other headstone present. Also why was a headstone placed here? If the vessel sunk

off the Old Head Of Kinsale Dungarven is 70 miles from Kinsale.

I will try to upload the photo. Its a bit faint. I will be going back there soon and I will get a better one.

post-32932-1206390057.jpg

Found these in my database, last one died earler:

JACOBS, George Richard Engmn RNR 1239ES HM Trawler Bradford 26.10.16

JONES, David Ivor Trimmer RNR 443.ST (D) HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

LAFERTY, Edward Smn RNR 6033.A (PO) HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

MEIN, John 2ndHand RNR 2359.SA HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

PETHERICK, David James Engineman RNR 2485.TS HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

SHARP, John Hemy Deckhand RNR 2108.DA © HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

STEED, Dugald Smn RNR 1032X Newfoundland HM Trawler Bradford died 28.10.16

WOOD Andrew William Morncc Tnmmer RNR 65.TS(PO) HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

ANDERSON, Alexander Deckhand RNR 9932.DA© HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

BORMAN, Jack Deckhand RNR 2601.DA© HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

BRUCE, William (DSC) Temp/Skipper RNR HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

DAWSON, F. Trimmer RNR 1219.TS HM Trawler Bradford 12.12.14

Cheers Ron

One name to add to the casualty list from Admiralty death records:

ENGLEFIELD, PERCY, COOK, RNR T, C 174, BRADFORD H.M. Trawler (hired), 26-Oct-16, SHIP LOSS.

Apparently there were some fierce storms in the Kinsale area on the 26th.

Best wishes

David

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The old Head of Kinsale has cropped up in my Families history too.

The Trawler Respondo, Which my Great Uncle Served on went missing there, rumour has it it was sunk by a German Plane and survivors machine gunned in the water.

I would like to trace my Grandfathers ww1 RNR history, but dont know where to start ?.

Hi Darren - Welcome aboard.

Re. your Grandfather, I think it best to start a new topic in this Ships and navies section and post his name and any info you have and I'm sure the resident experts here will do their best.

S.T. Respondo was lost with all hands in September 1940. So not a subject for this Forum but you can find details about her on this: LINK.

Cheers, Terry

Hi Darren - Welcome aboard.

Re. your Grandfather, I think it best to start a new topic in this Ships and navies section and post his name and any info you have and I'm sure the resident experts here will do their best.

S.T. Respondo was lost with all hands in September 1940. So not a subject for this Forum but you can find details about her on this: LINK.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks Terry i'll start a new thread now.

• 4 months later...

Hi I am trying to find out about H M Trawler Bradford and seaman Edward Lafferty s/n6033a Royal Navel Reserve I have his date of death as the 26/10/1916 hoping somone can help All the best and thanks Inniskilling :rolleyes:

Hello Inniskilling :rolleyes:

Yes indeed, Edward Lafferty died on HMT Bradford, along with these other guys:

JACOBS, George Richard Engmn RNR 1239ES HM Trawler Bradford 26.10.16

MEIN, John 2ndHand RNR 2359.SA HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

PETHERICK, David James Engineman RNR 2485.TS HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

SHARP, John Hemy Deckhand RNR 2108.DA © HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

STEED, Dugald Smn RNR 1032X Newfoundland HM Trawler Bradford died 28.10.16

ANDERSON, Alexander Deckhand RNR 9932.DA© HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

BORMAN, Jack Deckhand RNR 2601.DA© HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

ENGLEFIELD, Percy, Cook, RNR T, C 174, HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

WOOD Andrew William Morncc Tnmmer RNR 65.TS(PO) HM Trawler Bradford died 26.10.16

BRUCE, William (DSC) Temp/Skipper RNR HM Trawler Bradford drowned 26.10.16

Bradford was 163-tons and was launched on 12 October 1896 by Mackie & Thomsen at Old Goven as Yard No.122. She was requisitioned in 1914 as Admiralty No.829 and armed with a 6 pounder. She foundered near the Old Head of Kinsale on 28 October 1916

Cheers Ron

Inniskilling,

I have the service records for both Edward Lafferty and Kenneth McKenze, PM me your e-mail address and I will get them to you when I go back to work and photocopy them.. Do you have an interest in the other Campbeltown RNR men.... JIM

• 5 years later...

Afternoon

My great-grandfathers half-brother was the above George Richard Jacobs. Its interesting to see all the information regarding the trawler and its crew.

I do have one query regarding the loss of both crew and trawler. The crew have a death date of 26 October, yet the trawler is listed as lost on 28 October. Does anyone know why there is a date discrepancy between the loss of the men and the loss of the trawler? Was it that the trawler drifted for ~2 days before sinking?

Hi Jibba, Welcome to the Forum.

Re:

H.M. Trawler BRADFORD Admiralty No. 829

(Requisitioned Grimsby Trawler Bradford GY 132)
26 October 1916:
Disappeared off Old Head of Kinsale, last seen at 4.40pm on
26th October. Presumed to have foundered with the loss of all
hands, one officer and eleven ratings, in strong winds and heavy
seas that affected the area on the 28th October.
[ADM 137/455]
In a situation where vessels are not seen or heard from again, and are given up as lost,
the last known sighting is given as the date of death. Quite often this is the date when they
Sail from port. In this case it was the sighting on the 26th October.
Terry

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just discovered my ggrandmothers brother was one of the listed above:

Can I ask, where this Trawler was based? 

My relative was b Morriston Swansea Wales, why would he be on the above trawler?

Was he part of the Navy? and why would he have been of this Trawler.

For any other info where would I look.

Thank you

58 minutes ago, Jef said:

Can I ask, where this Trawler was based? 

She had been based on and parented by HMS COLLEEN (the Queenstown base) since 23 November 1914.

1 hour ago, Jef said:

My relative was b Morriston Swansea Wales, why would he be on the above trawler?

Was he part of the Navy? and why would he have been of this Trawler.

He was a trimmer (= stoker) in the Trawler Section of the Royal Naval Reserve and he was serving on the BRADFORD because the Admiralty required him to. BRADFORD was a Grimsby fishing trawler that had been hired by the Admiralty to form part of the Auxiliary Patrol that patrolled waters around UK (and the Med)  on anti-submarine and minesweeeping duties. She was based at Queenstown in Ireland because the Admitalty required it. Neither men nor boats could expect to be based on their home port during the war. Both served as directed.

File ADM/135/455 would certainly provide context into Area XXI activities based on Queenstown.

Edited by Hyacinth1326