Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

March 1918- South Africans- Marrieres Wood

Kathie

On 16/06/2018 at 01:13, fitz_merc said:

I am researching a Wilfred Fairlamb who served with the SAI and was reported missing at Marrieres Wood.

Are South African service records available on the net?

As far as I know the South African service records are not available on the net, but you can apply for them, details within the following link

Information about Documentation Centre (Department of Defence Force Archives) which holds military records, including personnel records. archivalplatform.org

Cheers

Maureen

I have had many 2nd war South African service records copied, some included men who had served in the first conflict. 

Unfortunately, Audrey informed me earlier in the year that the records office had moved. Since re-opening  There is now a policy similar to the UK one on restricting access. Mainly due to the 60 year rule.it. May be possible to still get earlier records.

me being synical , thinks it's a money making attempt. Even the long standing researchers can not get access, yet a year ago could.

Edited by chaz

• 3 weeks later...

The SA records appear not to be digitised but the SA archives gave me the name of an individual who copied the complete 16 page service record and emailed me them for £12.00

On 15/06/2018 at 16:13, fitz_merc said:

I am researching a Wilfred Fairlamb who served with the SAI and was reported missing at Marrieres Wood.

You will Find some details (photos of the man himself and service card ect) regarding Wilfred/Wilfrid  Fairlamb

on the South African War Graves Website

Ray

• 6 months later...

Hoping someone can help, whilst building my partners family tree we discovered that her great grandfather Henry Spedding serving with 4th Regiment South Sfrican Infantry was killed 25th March 1918, He is remembered at the Pozieres Memorial. Researching the date at the regiment led me to his death most likely being part of the withdrawl to marriers wood. I can find no further imformation on his service or his death or burial location, could anyone possible help? Many thanks in advance.

Looking at the Pozières Memorial description and history information on the CWGC website, it would seem that if commemorated thereon he has no known grave:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/87600/pozieres-memorial/

• 3 months later...

Hi Shaun

Henry Spedding is also the great grandfather of my wife and I have also been researching his service in the Great War with the South African 4th Infantry Regiment. You are correct in saying that he was part of the South African withdrawal from Chapel Hill to Marrieres Wood, where he was one of the 500 South Africans who defended their positions to the last bullet.

Henry appears to have been severely wounded and died in German captivity during the battle. I have a German report to say that he was buried at the side of the road between Marrieres Wood and Hospital Wood (Hospital Wood is about 1km North West of Marrieres Wood). This method of roadside burial was apparently quite common and although the German report is quite specific I do not think Henry's remains were recovered for a proper burial. As such, he has 'no known grave' and is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial.

An earlier post in this topic by ‘tesrein’ (April 2010) mentions that “7 South Africans were originally buried at a German Cemetery between Bouchavesnes and Marrières wood and were reburied after the war in Assevillers New Brit. Cemetery”. I also came across this information and although it is possible that one of these remains may have been Henry Spedding, as some were un-identified, I cannot prove this.

I don’t mind helping you out with any info I have about Henry Spedding if you want to contact me.

Last year on 21st March, and one hundred years since the German Offensive, my wife and I visited Gauche Wood and the Chapel Hill area and then the Pozieres Memorial. Although we did not get to Marrieres Wood it was still a moving experience.