Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Female casualties Etaples Cemetery

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents

Pal's,

I hope to stop off at Etaples Cemetery in the near future, can anybody please tell me if there are any female casualties buried there please?

If so any back ground information on them/circumstances of death would be gratefully received.

Thank you, Regards,

Scottie.

If you go in through the main entrance, at the foot of the imposing steps, turn right .There are a number of graves of nurses there...mostly killed by German bombing.

I would also suggest printing off a copy of the cemetery plan from the CWGC site.....it really is huge.

Bruce

Bruce,

thank you for those, I will have to try and track down my copy of 'Roses of No Mans Land' that i let somebody borrow a while ago.

Good idea on the map. been lost there several times in the past!

Coldstreamer,

thank you for the link, strangly enough I was trying to track Florence Grover down.

Regards and thanks to you both,

Scottie.

Bruce,

thank you for those, I will have to try and track down my copy of 'Roses of No Mans Land' that i let somebody borrow a while ago.

Good idea on the map. been lost there several times in the past!

Coldstreamer,

thank you for the link, strangly enough I was trying to track Florence Grover down.

Regards and thanks to you both,

Scottie.

She is in Etaples Military Cemetery plot Li.C.1. Her grave is on the left end of the third row of the plot behind her husband’s grave. For those that do not know of her she died whilst visiting her dangrously ill husband in hospital.

Jim,

had visited both graves many years ago and could only roughly remember where they were situated, should be able to find them easier now,

Regards,

Scottie.

Hi Hope the following is of use: These women are all buried at ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY - Pas de Calais

Commonwealth War Dead 1914-1918

BAIN, Nursing Sister, ANNIE WATSON, Mentioned in Despatches, St's John A.B. Hospital. St John's Ambulance Brigade. Killed in an air raid at Etaples 1st June 1918. Age 30. Order of St John. Daughter of James and Helen Bain, of Harrismith, O.F.S., South Africa. XXVIII. M. 3.

CREWDSON, Nursing Sister, DOROTHEA MARY LYNETTE, M M, A R R C, Voluntary Aid De-tachment. Died of disease 12th March 1919. Age 32. Daughter of Henry and Margaret Croom Crewd-son, of Nottingham. XLV. C. 13.

CROYSDALE, Nursing Sister, MARJORIE, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. 2nd March 1919. Age 26. Daughter of Thomas Croysdale, J.P., and Beatrice Croysdale, of Hawke House, Sunbury-on-Thames. Educated at Wycombe Abbey School XLV. C. 10.

DAWSON, Matron, EVELINE MAUD, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. 10th April 1917. Age 49. Sister of Miss E. Dawson, of 27, Queen's Rd., Bromley, Kent. XVII. D. 24.

GREEN, Nursing Sister, MATILDA E., 7th Canadian Gen. Hosp. Canadian Army Nursing Service. Died of disease 9th October 1918. Age 32. Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Green, of Virden, Mani-toba. Graduate, Medicine Hat Gen. Hosp., Alberta, Canada. XLVIII. A. 10.

HALLAM, Nursing Sister, ALICE VIOLET, 541. Voluntary Aid Detachment. 18th December 1916. Age 45. Daughter of John Brough Hallam, and Alice Aldersey Hallam. I. A. 77.

LOWE, Nursing Sister, M, 1st Canadian Gen. Hosp. Canadian Army Nursing Service. Died of wounds, received in German air raid on Etaples, 28th May 1918. Age 32. Daughter of Thomas Lowe, of Binscarth, Manitoba. XXVIII. M. 9.

LUKER, Worker, DORIS MARY, 6947. Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. Died of pneumonia 13th February 1919. Age 21. Daughter of James and Mary Luker, of Woking, Surrey. Joined in Jan., 1917, and had been in France 12 months. LXXII. B. 15.

MACDONALD, Nursing Sister, KATHERINE MAUDE MARY, 1st Canadian Gen. Hosp. Canadian Army Nursing Service. Killed in action 19th May 1918. Age 31. Daughter of Mary Maud and the late Angus Macdonald, of Brantford, Ontario. XXVIII. L. 8.

MATTHEWS, Worker, MARY MARIA, 47814. Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. 17th February 1919. Age 28. Daughter of Walter and Ellen Matthews, of Coltishall Rd., Buxton, Norfolk. LXXII. B. 36.

McARTHUR, Civilian, Miss MARGUERITE MAUDE, Young Men's Christian Association. Died of pneumonia 13th February 1919. Age 26. Daughter of Allen Gordon McArthur, J.P., and Emma Maude Finley McArthur. Born in London. XLV. B. 7.

NISBET, Civilian, E M, Attd. Scottish Churches Huts. 16th August 1916. Daughter of David and Jane Stevenson Nisbet. I. B. 43.

PAGE, Worker, BLANCHE AMELIA, 1162. Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps attd. Signals Sect. Royal Engineers. Died of pneumonia 7th December 1918. Age 30. Daughter of Edwin George and Mary Anne Amelia Page, of Southampton. XLVII. B. 16.

ROUTLEDGE, Assistant Forewoman, E H, Mentioned in Despatches, 1585. Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. Died of pneumonia 5th March 1919. Age 29. Eldest daughter of George and Elizabeth Routledge, of Rock Ferry, Cheshire. LXXII. D. 37.

SMITH, Nursing Sister, JEANIE BARCLAY, R R C, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. 28th April 1916. Age 42. Daughter of John and Margaret Macpherson Smith, of Aberlour, Banffshire. I. B. 27.

STEVENSON, Civilian, BERTHA GAVIN (BETTY), Young Men's Christian Association. Killed in air raid at Etaples 30th May 1918. Age 21. Croix de Guerre avec Palme (France). Daughter of Arthur G. and Catherine Grace Stevenson, of Harrogate, Yorks. Born at York. XXVIII. M. 6.

WAKE, Nursing Sister, GLADYS MAUDE MARY, 1st Canadian Gen. Hosp. Canadian Army Nurs-ing Service. Died of wounds, enemy aircraft action, 21st May 1918. Age 34. Daughter of Gervas Foun-tayne Wake and Amy Rosamond Wake, of Compton Hill, Malvern, Worcestershire. Born at Esqlai-mault, British Columbia. XXVIII. L. 5.

WAKEFIELD, Nursing Sister, JESSIE EMILY, A R R C, Territorial Nursing Service. 7th February 1919. Age 39. Daughter of Richard and Emily Wakefield, of Maidstone, Kent. XLV. B. 3.

WHITTAKER, Worker, E, 35663. Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps. 15th February 1919. LXXII. B. 26.

Any other info about women casualties, please do get in touch. I have a reasonably comprehensive list of women's burials.

best wishes

Viv Newman

Viv,

well that looks like a pretty comprehensive list, thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post them for me i am very grateful,

Regards and thanks again,

Scottie.

Have a good visit to Eat Apples!

Viv

Viv,

well that looks like a pretty comprehensive list, thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post them for me i am very grateful,

Regards and thanks again,

Scottie.

Pal's

back from my trip, I have been to Etaples many many times in the past but thanks to your input i genuinly found this visit to be the most rewarding. My mate and I were the only visitors present, there was not a cloud in the sky and it was a most memorable visit.

Still think its heart breaking the the Grover's are not actually buried together!

Viv, visited most of the ladies on your list and paid our respects, thank you for your help.

Thanks again,

reegards,

Scottie.

Looks like you had the weather for it!

Thanks for sharing the photos Scottie

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon.

Just hijacking this thread ... thaks for the comprehensive list, Viv.

BUT... question... there's supposed to be one civilian lady burried there also, the wife of a sick soldier who died whilst visiting him... they are buried side by side??

Any idea who that is and what the grave reference might be?

Thanks

M.

55 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Hijacked the wrong thread 🤔

Ken

Nah... just jumped on in, following a search on Dorothea Crewdson...

it was a good plan since you were there to point me to the right one !!!

THANKS !!!

M.

This is good stuff.  Thanks.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Nah... just jumped on in, following a search on Dorothea Crewdson...

it was a good plan since you were there to point me to the right one !!!

THANKS !!!

M.

Have you seen this film of the devastation and funerals following the bombing raid at Etaples. 

The film shows a later raid on the 31 May 1918 and one of those killed is Nursing Sister Lowe (post 13). Believe her colleagues are paying their respects to her.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060022723

I previously posted on this thread

but the link I posted  to the Canadian Film Board film is now dead. However there is a more recent film which at 3.16. on shows the mass funeral following the raid of the 19th/20th May.  It does appear to have been 'cleaned up'.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/front-lines-nurses-at-the-front/

I downloaded the film but it was ten years ago but I may still have it.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Ken, this is great!!

You might have notices my thread about looking after ALL the women who died on the Western Front. I'm catching up with reading right now and researching before going out there again and go pay them all a visit.

the video is a thrilling piece of information !!!

M.

• 1 year later...

I am reading "Pearls before Poppies" and there is quite a lot about this incident.

It says that the family and friends of Katherine Maude Mary |MacDonald tried to get her remains repatriated but were not able to get permission.

The book does not come out a say directly, but I presume they were quite deliberately targeted by the Germans?

Edited by mbriscoe

Hi. 

I've researched Katherine Mc Donald's story but have not encountered anything that indicates the family wanting to get her back home. 

Concerning the attacks on Etaples, let's say that if the main objective was the railway bridge, the pilot needed some new glasses. the hospitals were clearly visible, so there was no way to miss our the fact that he was bombing a hospital. Now as long as we don't have the written orders given to the pilots by their hierarchy, all we're left with are suppositions. 

But it's all a bit flagrant. 

Thanks for the hint on the Pearls. I vaguely remember having read something about it, but had put it aside until now. 

M.