Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swan Chateau

Guest Montay

Hello there,

My hero is Pte. Frank Shawcross who was with the 8th Batt. South Lancashire regt. He was killed on 16/7/1917 near Busseboom, Ypres at a place called Swan Chateau. Can anyone please suggest sources where I might find out a bit more about this "hot spot" ?

Thanks

Jane

Jane.

According to the Battalion history,the Bn marched to Dominion Camp near Busseboom on 8th July. Here, they partook in various tasks in preparation for the forthcoming offensive and lost men nearly every night on working parties, "notably on the 16th, when 2/Lt.D.H.Wilkinson was wounded and 27 other ranks killed or wounded.The Germans were using a large proportion of gas-shell which forced the working parties to wear their masks, thereby reducing everybody's efficiency by at least 50 percent".

Dave.

Thank you Dave......that's very useful. Frank was part of a working party when he was killed, or at least mortally wounded by a shell explosion but I hadn't realised the extent of the gas threat at that point. Tom TM is in the process of retrieving the battalion diaries for me so hopefully I will have a better idea then. Do you know anything else about Swan Chateau at all?

Thanks again,

Jane

Do you know anything else about Swan Chateau at all?

Not a lot to be honest, apart from the fact that it was quite a way behind the front line, so Frank probably was killed by a shell going to or from the front.

Below is a trench map extract showing the location (Swan Chateau is smack in the middle) just South of Ypres.

Dave.

post-4-1071272787.jpg

...and this is the location of Dominion Camp, near Poperinghe (mentioned in my first posting)...

post-4-1071272927.jpg