Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Medical Corps Training

manchester terrier

I've recently acquired a copy of "Royal Army Medical Corps Training 1911 (reprinted 1914)".

The owners name "astley" is written on the inside. Obviously with only that, the MIC returned ten possible matches of Astleys serving with the RAMC.They were all privates.

In the back are some hand written notes on "circulation" and "blood vessels" and a note of a book "text book of anatomy cunningham 179754"

Cunningham's text book of anatomy seems to be standard work on the subject, though what the number means I don't know.

Would a training manual such as this be issued to a private for his training? What was the general level of training for RAMC soldiers. Any ideas on narrowing down it's owner?

cheers

barrie

Hi,

Having served in the AMS myself, and also having been involved in the healthcare industry, I would say that the names and numbers are those to whom the items were issued or bought. It is still common practice for Drs /Nurses, if they have bought a book to write their name and title in it. When I did my trg with the AMS, we all got a manual, and I would think that it is one of those army trades that is essential to have own book of reference. I have also seen from WWII, that First aid books were issued to individual soldiers.

Hope that this is of some help, sorry to waffle on. The AMS museum at Keogh Barracks may be of some help to you.

Hillgorilla

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the AMS had a museum, will give them a try.

I've bought the book as a present for my brother's birthday. He's a medic with an interest in WW1 so I thought it would be an appropriate gift. I was hoping that I could give it him with some details of the previous owner.

Your handle of hillgorilla puts me in mind of "Chatty" Corner from Evelyn Waugh's "Sword of Honour Trilogy", for some strange reason. Conjures up images of an old Africa hand with a brass bound thunderbox!

I've recently acquired a copy of "Royal Army Medical Corps Training 1911 (reprinted 1914)".

The owners name "astley" is written on the inside. Obviously with only that, the MIC returned ten possible matches of Astleys serving with the RAMC.They were all privates.

In the back are some hand written notes on "circulation" and "blood vessels" and a note of a book "text book of anatomy cunningham 179754"

Cunningham's text book of anatomy seems to be standard work on the subject, though what the number means I don't know.

Would a training manual such as this be issued to a private for his training? What was the general level of training for RAMC soldiers. Any ideas on narrowing down it's owner?

cheers

barrie

Hi Barrie I am researching the AMS and RAMC the book sounds interesting where did you get your copy please Colin

Thanks for the info and link Dave, I'll look into them. This could mean a trip to the museum with bro' in tow!!

Colin I came across my copy at Sharston Books, in Manchester. They had it upstairs where they keep stock they put on Abebooks. It was a chance discovery. I was up doing some jobs for the old dear and always pop into Sharston Books when I'm there. I had a good root round downstairs and then the bloke that owns it took me upstairs and left me to have a look. Thats when I found the manual. Well worth a visit if your in the area, or look them up on Abe. Hope thats of use.

cheers

barrie

Take a look at the web links below, there is some intresting information and photos of the RAMC during

WW1.

I have just returned from a visit to the AMS museam at Keogh Barracks and it well worth the visit.

http://www.glensidemuseum.pwp.blueyonder.c...sychiatry_3.htm

http://www.stanleyspencer.co.uk/

Take a look at the web links below, there is some intresting information and photos of the RAMC during

WW1.

I have just returned from a visit to the AMS museam at Keogh Barracks and it well worth the visit.

http://www.glensidemuseum.pwp.blueyonder.c...sychiatry_3.htm

http://www.stanleyspencer.co.uk/

Hi I am going this Thursday 5th April do you have any tips. Colin

Hi I am going this Thursday 5th April do you have any tips. Colin

See my PM, Have an intresting day as there is lots to see at the AMS museum

and take a look at the Falkland section, there is a small tribute to Maj Roger Nutbeem

who was my old boss in the late 70s/80s