Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Feldgrauen --Is My German Correct?

Nathan Greenfield

Pals:

Need a foreign language check.

Is the singular for Field Gray "Feldgraue"?

And, is the plural "Feldgrauen"?

Thanks,

Nathan

Grau and Feldgrau have no e on the end. They're adjectives, neither singular nor plural.

Pete,

The adjective, as you say, is 'feldgrau', with a lower-case 'f'. But there is also a noun, equivalent, if you like, to 'the boys in blue' or 'the lads in khaki', which is used to denote the ordinary German soldier: der Feldgraue/die Feldgrauen. Examples below:

"Wie der Feldgraue spricht. Scherz und Ernst in der neuesten Soldatensprache".

Der Übermensch

Unter dem Schlagworte »Die Feldgrauen für die Feldgrauen« veranstalten Offiziere und Mannschaften der hiesigen Ersatzformationen ein ganz eigenes Theater, wobei sie das von einem Feldgrauen verfaßte Stück »Der Hias« zur Aufführung bringen.

Mick

German is not my mother tongue, but am I right when I think that in this case (ein substantivisch gebraucht Adjektiv) the ending of the substantive depends on the article (indefinite and definite) ?

Ein Feldgrauer, but : Der Feldgraue.

(And if the indefinite article is Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ, then : eines / einem / einen Feldgrauen.)

Aurel

Pals:

Thank all of you.

The debate reminds me of a story about Mark Twain. Apparently, while travelling the world to gather the material for A TRAMP ABROAD, he found himself in Germany. He either attended the opera to hear Wagner's Ring Cycle four Sunday's in a row or every other day for a week.

At the end of the last performance, he did not leave the opera house. A cleaner came up to him. The cleaner spoke English and recognized Twain from his famous main. The cleaner said: "Mr. Twain, the performance is over. What are you waiting for?" Twain answered, "The verb."

Again, thanks for al lthe help.

Cheers,

Nathan

Ein Feldgrauer, but : Der Feldgraue.

(And if the indefinite article is Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ, then : eines / einem / einen Feldgrauen.)

Yes, Aurel, you're right — see, in the second example I quoted: "...das von einem Feldgrauen verfaßte Stück ..."