Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM must see?

Len Trim

I am in London with my wife and daughter over the Easter.Iwill manage to escape to the IWM for a couple of hours. What are the must see exhibits.

Len

In all honesty try and set aside more than a couple of hours to do it justice. I always used to try and get there for opening time and rush down to be alone in the Trench Experience. Obviously the 14-18 galleries are interesting for us lot but taking the museum as a whole then do try and see the Holocaust exhibition, it really is very moving. I think you may need to book it these days? The Blitz thing is clever but there is so much to see across so many conflicts that you really need a couple of days. :)

In the WW1 section you will find a diaroma of an attack on the first day of the Somme. I guarantee you will spend a few minutes peering into this glass box.

And the next time you come back - and you will - you will do the same again.

For me, the trench signs collection, the snipers tree, the WW1 section generally, the only spitfire left in original WW2 paint finish, (quick see it before they paint the thing like they ruined the RE8 in Duxford).

The Sopwith Camel that has been ditched in the drink, and the remains of the zeppelin cloud car.

Plus you must stop and spare a few moments next to the atom bomb! How many people do?

Guy

post-2161-1174444537.jpgI was there last thursday,worth the trip

In the large Exhibits hall I stood next the the RHA gun and limber and was hard put to convince myself that there were still people alive who could remember them being used in anger.

Seeing these artifiacts is so different to reading about them.

John

Hi,

thanks for all the responses. Now looking forward to my visit even more. Have now negotiated a whole morning's visit. No doubt it will prove expensive as my wife and daughter will be loose in Oxford Street :blink:

Len, more groveling! A morning is not enough for just WW1 and WW1 art upstairs, the cafe is just fine maybe you can get more time by having lunch with wife there.

in the great war section do not miss a small display cabinet,in it the last letter still unopened that private jack mudd 2/4 battl london reg wrote to his wife,a photo of her that he carried and a faded dry poppy, kia 26-10-1917 one of the most moving things I have seen, can any member do me a look up,as I would like to visit his grave to say thank you

soren your a top man,thats him,pity he is unknown,but after seeing his picture he is known to me and the big fella,once again thanks

biff

soren your a top man,thats him,pity he is unknown,but after seeing his picture he is known to me and the big fella,once again thanks

biff

Biff,

Did you take a photo of his picture? I'd like to see it...

Hi,

I'm really looking forward to my visit. It's heading towards thirty years since I was last there. I popped up to visit when I was based in Aldershot. All I really remember are the huge gun barrels outside and a SMLE engraved to Lawrence of Arabia inside. The bookshop will get a serious visit.

I'm not going to push for longer time in the IWM as I am now working on getting a few days on the Western Front in October :P

Len

Biff,

Did you take a photo of his picture? I'd like to see it...

soren you are a pal,no I didnt take a photo and yes thats the man,nice to have a bit of this mans life

I am in London with my wife and daughter over the Easter.Iwill manage to escape to the IWM for a couple of hours. What are the must see exhibits.

Len

The Trench Weapons Section I.E. Fighting Knives,Body Armour,Grenades,Knuckle Dusters,Cut Down Rifles,Various Pistols (Service and Private purchases).