The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lonon Air Raid Activity Just Prior to 12th March 1916?

londons

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help in my research for a book I am writing about the life of a man who was born in 1916 who lost his father KIA two years later in Palestine?

All family stories suggest my man was born prematurely on 12/3/1916 as a result of his mother witnessing some kind of aerial attack from their home in Liverpool Road Islington.

Does anyone know of any such event that would have been visible from here on the 11th or 12th March 1916?

Many thanks in anticipation and in the hope someone here may be able to help.

Kind regards,

Lee

Lee

According to the lists of raids in The Air Defence of Britain 1914-1918 and German Air Raids on Britain 1914-1918, there wasn't a raid that exactly fits your time frame.

The nearest airship raid was on 5/6 March 1915, involving Naval Zeppelins L11, L13 and L14, and was directed at East Riding, Hull, Lincolnshire and Rutland. After crossing the coast over the Humber, L13 was driven south by the wind and flew over Eastchurch. My UK geography isn't all that strong, so I don't know if this airship would have been visible from Islington.

The closest aeroplane raid was a night bombing mission by a solitary Friedrichshafen FF49 seaplane on Broadstairs and Margate on 1 March.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Lee.

Gareth is spot on. The next London raid I think was 31 March 1916.

Tim.

Lee.

Gareth is spot on. The next London raid I think was 31 March 1916.

Tim.

Thank you both very much for your help.

I guess its another case of a romantic family recollection!!

Lee

The only other thing I could find was on the 19th March, when 4 FF33b's, 1 HB NW and a Gotha Ursinus WD attacked Dover, Deal and Ramsgate, resulting in 14 killed and 26 injured. A bit far away from the London area...