Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Service Numbers

londons

Hi,

Can anyone out there help me with this mystery and comment on the number and where it may have related to in the RWR?

I am puzzled how my gg grandfather could have moved from the 6th Londons to the 1st RWR or the 1st RWR Garrison Battalion. I know his first overseas posting was to Egypt prior to Palestine so this is why I guess it is the Garrison Battalion.

However, I cannot ignore that the medal roll shows his regiment as being "1st RWR" and not the Garrison battalion. Could this be an error or was he in the regular 1st RWR and become injured and moved to the Garrison Battalion. If so would he have kept the same number?

We have no stories of him being on the Western front though.

I would be very grateful if someone could help as its driving me mad!!!!

Many thanks,

Lee

What will surprise you even more is that the number 269365 was one of a block of numbers actually used by the 7th Bn, R.Warwicks Regt(No.'s 265001 - 305000)from the beginning of 1917. What you see on both Medal Index Cards and Medal Roll Sheets is only the units they served overseas with and no units served with at home.

If there is no mention of the 7th Warwicks on either the MIC or Medal Roll Sheet, then the transfer from R.Fusiliers to the Warwicks was possibly carried out whilst at home. Certainly clerical errors do creep into the Medal Roll Books and it is possible that it should be 1st G.B., R.Warwicks cosidering his service in Egypt.

Graham.

What will surprise you even more is that the number 269365 was one of a block of numbers actually used by the 7th Bn, R.Warwicks Regt(No.'s 265001 - 305000)from the beginning of 1917. What you see on both Medal Index Cards and Medal Roll Sheets is only the units they served overseas with and no units served with at home.

If there is no mention of the 7th Warwicks on either the MIC or Medal Roll Sheet, then the transfer from R.Fusiliers to the Warwicks was possibly carried out whilst at home. Certainly clerical errors do creep into the Medal Roll Books and it is possible that it should be 1st G.B., R.Warwicks cosidering his service in Egypt.

Graham.

Many thanks Graham,

This information is intriguing. I do know that his first overseas posting was with the Warwicks and assumed the 1st RWR was the Garrison Battalion as they were in Egypt. The number being in this block for the 7th Bn RWR is a puzzle although I believe they only served at home til 1917? So maybe this proves it must have been 1st RWR whether it be reg Bn or Gn Bn!!

Do you happen to know if he could have been moved from 1st RWR injured and moved to the Gn Bn with the same number? Or maybe he went from the 6th londons to the 7th RWR and then his first posting overseas was 1st RWR Gn Bn. It appears he may well have been unfit for overseas service as he was both short and had eyesight problems.

Thanks again for your help.

Lee

Lee,

Gets even worse this. Are we looking at David M. Vincent? I had a a look at the online MIC site and typed in Royal Warwickshire Regiment and the number 269365 and came up with this lad;-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

If the order of precedence is to believed then we're looking at R.Warwicks followed by Labour Corps(360789)

then by the 10th Londons(424457). Their new block numbers issued in 1917 were 420001 - 450000.

The fact that no pre-1917 four figure Territorial numbers appear seems to implicate all of his service was post 1917/18, that's if we have the correct lad. If we have the correct one then there is also a good chance he may also be on the London Rgiment Medals Rolls and if so you'll be quids in as they usually give dates of service overseas and units.

Where did you get the 6th Londons from - family or a documented source?

Graham.

Lee,

Gets even worse this. Are we looking at David M. Vincent? I had a a look at the online MIC site and typed in Royal Warwickshire Regiment and the number 269365 and came up with this lad;-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

If the order of precedence is to believed then we're looking at R.Warwicks followed by Labour Corps(360789)

then by the 10th Londons(424457). Their new block numbers issued in 1917 were 420001 - 450000.

The fact that no pre-1917 four figure Territorial numbers appear seems to implicate all of his service was post 1917/18, that's if we have the correct lad. If we have the correct one then there is also a good chance he may also be on the London Rgiment Medals Rolls and if so you'll be quids in as they usually give dates of service overseas and units.

Where did you get the 6th Londons from - family or a documented source?

Graham.

Thank you both,

Yes we are looking at David Martin Vincent and the order you give is confirmed on the Londons Medal Roll but no other details. No service record exists. I had a reasearcher go to Kew and like so many WW1 service records they were destroyed in WW2 so the Londons Roll is all I have.

The 6th Londons is definitely correct as his starting point as it is quoted in Soldiers Died and on his marriage certificate and photos. His number was 1349 and i'm sure he was never posted with these and spent time at home on zeppelin watch at Southwold and camped at Burgess Hill. I think he was unfit for front line service.

I think the 7th RWR if he was in this prior to the 1st RWR Garrison BN (1st overseas posting) would have been the 3/7th RWR.

After the 1st RWR Gn Bn in Egypt he was in the LC and then after the troubles in March 1918 he was upgraded as fit for front line as emergency infantry with 10th Londons when Allenby lost more troops to the WF. He was KIA 19 Sept 1918 in Megiddo.

What do you think?

Many thanks again,

Lee

Lee

Lee,

Sounds as though you're on the right track here, although I hadn't realised he was a KIA with SDGW record.

Graham.