Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield clearance

gem22

I've been asked to recommend some books about battlefield clearance during and after the Great war. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about the subject so I'm asking for help. Does anyone out there have knowledge of any books or documents on the subjects of battlefield clearance or reclamation of the land on the western front at the end of the war?

Garth

Hi there Garth-

This is a subject that's come up before- somebody on the forum mentioned a book about this very subject. I can't remember the name of it and I'm hoping this "somebody" will check out this thread and refresh my memory. I did check on Amazon and it was available but at a stonking £50 or something.

Apart from that not at all helpful digression- I'd recommend a book called Aftermath by Donovan Webster. There's an interesting chapter on the battlefields of WW1 post war. The rest of the book visits the aftermath of other conflicts.

Mark

Hugh Clout seems to be your man. Ian Bowbrick started a thread about this a couple of months ago in 'Other'. I should be able by now to add a clickable thingy, but can't

The title of the book is After the Ruins: Restoring the Countryside of Northern France After the Great War, by Hugh Clout (Nov. 1996) ISBN: 085989416.

Happy reading!

Steve

The title of the book is After the Ruins: Restoring the Countryside of Northern France After the Great War, by Hugh Clout (Nov. 1996) ISBN: 085989416.

Happy reading!

Steve

Thanks Steve

However, at circa £47 I will probably have to give it a miss this time!

Regards

Burlington...

You might trying getting a copy through inter-library loan if your local library provides such services. I am a librarian and I, too, am trying to get a copy this way but am having trouble -- simply because the book is difficult to find here in the US. (The price is $85 and it doesn't turn up in any of the usual used lists.)

Good luck!

SJW

Garth,

I'm going to the British library at Boston Spa in january and can get you copies of the book if you want. Just give me an e-mail if you're interested.

I can also provide copies of the reconstruction of Ypres from the book 'Ypres, the reconstructed city (Ypres, de herrezen stad)'. Some very interesting stuff in there, but unfortunatly all in dutch.

regards,

Bert.

oh, and I have some copies of files from the CWGC archives which deal with the reconstruction of Ypres, especially the British plans, as well. It's mainly the things you will find in Dominiek Dendooven's article in 'Ypres, de herrezen stad', but in English.

Bert.

If you're wanting to buy a copy of Hugh Clout's book at a better price, try www.addall.com

It's a site that gives you comparative prices of the book you want. I've just bought a book for my daughter for £19.95 when Amazon wanted over £100. Even if you have to pay postage, it might be a lot cheaper.

Christina

If you're wanting to buy a copy of Hugh Clout's book at a better price, try www.addall.com

It's a site that gives you comparative prices of the book you want. I've just bought a book for my daughter for £19.95 when Amazon wanted over £100. Even if you have to pay postage, it might be a lot cheaper.

Christina

$69 at addall.com as a minimum.

No easy way I'm afraid.

Library here I come!

To All,

See also http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5795 .

The book " After the Ruins ... " states that Hugh Clout is Professor of Geography at the University College London.

The book itself is edited " University of Exeter Press ".

It can be very hard to find the book. I could find it in an antiquarian bookshop.

A lot of information is perhaps in the very local press.

The book " Halfweg Menin Road en Ypernstrasse " (written by Jan Vancoillie) comprises information and photo's, both linked to the rebuilding of the area.

Regards,

Gilbert Deraedt ;)

Pals,

I will enquire as to obtaining the book through work. It looks like I may be able to get these for approx £35. (I can of course get anything for myself but I would just have to get the okey dokey for multiple purchases).

If anyone is seriously interested let me know.

Regards

Ryan