Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hertfordshire Regiment

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's

did not really know where to place this so settled for 'Places to go' section on our forum.

(Mods, please advise/move if this is the wrong place.)

There is a small display on the Hertfordshire Regiment currently on show in the Hertford Museum, 18 Bull plain, Hertford, SG14 1DT, it is on until 19th May 2007.

It covers all their history with a nice little display on their Great War Service/period.

I found it a nice way to spend half an hour when I should have been shopping. :D

Regards,

Scottie.

Hello Scottie.

Thankyou for telling us about this display in Hertford Museum. I was unaware of it. In Hertford last week, missed it! I will pay a visit tomorrow.

Cheers.

Terry W.

Scottie,

as an ex-resident of 111 Ware Rd, is there any chance of a few pics?

And if there is, also a photo of the Jacobean garden out the back will do as well :P

Peter

Terry,

have an enjoyable visit, opening hours; 10am-5pm closed Monday. ( www.hertfordmuseum )

Peter,

drove past your old house last night ! (so what I hear you cry!)

Will try to get some pics (I take it you want the museum and not Ware Road?)

I will have a look at the knot garden as well, by the way they are advertising 'Cream Teas' May - Sept in that area! (How terribly English!)

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie,

just spotted this at the museum

An Exhibition of Exhibitions

9th December-20th January

This touring exhibition on the ground floor of the museum traces the story of major exhibitions held in Great Britain since the 1850s, such as the Festival of Britain.

I would love some pics of the Festival of Britain as I was 5 when I visited it and the memories a bit hazy

Peter

Peter,

thanks for the link, could you remind me nearer the time and i will pop into the exhibition. (Can see myself attending the talk on the home guard on the 17th April as well! :) )

Terry,

more than likely this is posted a bit late for your visit, but for your info there is a Great War link in the street outside the Museum; Apparently on 13th October 1915 a Zeppelin passed over the area and was caught in searchlights, a number of people left the Hertford Club to witness the spectacle, a stick of bombs were dropped and killed four 'prominant' towns people, two soldiers were also killed nearby in North Road.

The Hertford Club is still there in Lombard House, if you turn right out of the museum, walk about 25 yards, cross a small pedestrian alley and it is right in front of you on the side of the canal!

Best wishes,

Scottie.

Scottie: Slightly off-topic, but there is a Memorial (an old grave marker) to an officer in the 1/1 Hertfordshire regt, killed in January 1918, propped up outside the church in Gustards Wood (I think) - on the road from Wheathampstead to Kimpton. I can't remember the poor chap's name, but I know he went out in '14 as a Private in the HAC. The memorial is easy to see, as the church is in the middle of some traffic calming ( <_< ).

I guess the Herts are an interest of yours you know about this, but I thought I'd mention it. The cross is looking a bit seedy and could do with being taken into a place of safety, I think.

Steve,

thanks for bringing this to my attention, i did not know about it, I may be out that way next week on a spot of business so will try to have a look at it.

Starting to get an interest in the Herts boys, funnily enough before this sort of 'thing' became a real passion with me I used to attend a meeting of the local WFA at the 'HAC' HQ in City Road. This was back in 1975, I used to chat to many of the Great War Vets over a beer or two, like an idiot I did not record or write any of it down!

Regards,

Scottie.

Good luck - I used occasionally to stop and say hello when i passed by on my way to Kimpton on business; job change means I won't any more :( . I wish I'd had the gumption to photograph it, but you know how it is.....

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

got a couple of pictures of the garden if you would like to see them, if you pm me with your e-mail address i will send you them,

Regards,

Scottie.