The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"B" Bty. 173rd Bde., Royal Field Artillery

rbrauerei

I'm looking particularly for location information around the dates of June-July 1917; however embarkation date, home depot, or anything else would be appreciated.

What I already know from other places on the site or gleaned from general sources: Was part of CLXXIII (East Ham) Brigade: War Raised Unit; Formed at East Ham in 1915 and consisted of A, B, C and D Batteries; 36th (Ulster) Division. The Division moved to France 3-6 Oct 1915; Divisional Artillery remained in England until November 1915.

My interest revolves around KIA 3 July 1917 Gunner William J. Marsh, L/22283 RFA:

CWGC - [in Memory of Gunner W J MARSH, 22283, "B" Bty. 173rd Bde., Royal Field Artillery, who died on 03 July 1917; Husband of Mrs. H. E. Marsh, of 34, Peacock St., Newington Butts, London. Remembered with honor LONE TREE CEMETERY.] {This cemetery was started in June 1917 after the first day of the Battle of Messines, it contains the burials of 88 men, many of whom served with the Royal Irish Rifles, 36th (Ulster) Division, most of these men were tragically killed when they left their trench early and were killed by the blast and debris from the detonation of the Lone Tree mine. This cemetery stands close to the Lone Tree Crater, now renamed the 'Pool of Peace'.}

SDGW - Royal Field Artillery; Battalion/etc – None; Surname – Marsh; Christian Name - William James; Initials - W J; Born – Unknown; Enlisted - Camberwell, S.e; Residence - Southwark, S.e; Rank GUNNER; Number L/22283; Died Date 03/07/1917; Died How - Killed in action; Theatre of War - France & Flanders.

Given Marsh's connection to the LONE TREE CEMETARY, his unit most probably participated in the 36th Div's action during the Battle of Messines, 7-14 Jun 1917. His death was a couple weeks later, but I've found no significant action on 3 July.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

You may be able to glean more information from the unit diary from the National Archives. Here is the link for 173 RFA:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=0

You might get some more specific location around the time your relative died. If you request the date from about a week from when he died you might get lucky. Hope this helps.

Keith