Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major R Hayes-Sadler

WASMAN

Hi looking for any information on Major R Hayes-Sadler, his son was killed 3.9.1916 serving with 2nd Battalion The Royal Warwick Regiment, his name was Lieutenant G R Hayes-Sadler, think the Majors name was Reginald but not sure at this stage, any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

The only info I could find on Hayes-Sadler Snr. was found in The Times from 1917, and there was a mention of his son in the September 1930 edition:

Temp. Maj. [Major] [...Afr. Def. Force] R. Hayes Sadler relinquishes his command on ceasing to be employed, and is granted hon. rank of Major [Nov 1917][The Times, Saturday, November 17, 1917. p. 10]

IN MEMORIAM

Hayes-Sadler--In loving memory of Gerald Ralph Hayes-Sadler, Lieutenant 2nd Royal Warwickshire Regt., killed in action near Delville Wood, September 3, 1916 [The Times, Wednesday, September 3, 1930. p1]

Kind Regards,

Dave

This chap seems quite elusive Wayne.

Found Gerard Ralph as a 4 year old in the 1901 census living at Farringdon House, Farringdon (near Exeter)

with brother Cecil William - 8, and sisters Mildred Sophia - 10 and Ethel Beatrice - 14. Head of the family was mother - Anne Beatrice - 37. There was also a visitor + 10 servants

From the 1891 census - they were living at: The Cottage, Hurst Green, Etchingham, (near Ticehurst in Sussex) - and it seems to confirm dad's first name was Reginald - and he was a military man (even if the transcribers couldn't work out his regiment). From the original it looks like ? = Yorks

SADLER, Reginald H Head Married M 34 Captain 3 ? Light Inst Militia London

SADLER, Anne B H Wife Married F 29 Kingston On Thames

SADLER, Ethel B H Daughter Single F 4 London

SADLER, Sophia M H Daughter Single F 0 (4M) Etchingham Sussex

SADLER, Ralph H H Brother Single M 36 H M P Ties Consul Chicago U S ALondon

+ 3 servants

The Times of 3/4/1900 reported (courtesy of a fabulous Boer War website - http://hometown.aol.co.uk/heatherasplin/bwsl00.html)

Dateline Albert Docks, April 2. The British Princess sailed at 2:30 this afternoon with 16 officers, 398 men and 350 remounts. The troops were drafts for the 2/Lancashire Fus., 2/Royla Highlanders, and 2/Warwick Regt. The officers were:

Lancashire Fusiliers, Maj. Amber, Capt. Radcliffe, & 2nd Lt. C.R.J. Hopkinson.

2/Royal Highlanders, Lt. Innes, 2nd Lts. D. Campbell, A.E. Parker, & J. Mackenzie.

3/Yorks. L.I., Maj. Hayes Sadler

RGA, Capt. Parry.

1/Bengal Inf., Lt. MacTavish

Reserve of Officers, Lt. Ferguson Davis.

4/Bedford, Lt. Talbot

2/Northampton, 2nd Lt. R.B. de B. Hodge.

5/D.G., 2nd Lt. M.A. Black

Civil Surgeon, C.H. Ralston

Civil Vet. Surg. C.J. Carrick

Certainly only guesswork from here - but wonder if the Major stayed on or went back to Africa - there is a MIC -

Description

Medal card of Sadler, R Hayes

Corps Regiment No Rank

South African Service Corps Transport and Remounts Captain

British Red Cross Society and Order of Saint John of Jerusalem

East Africa Unattached and Miscellaneous List Major

East African Police Major

I notice on Gerard Ralph's CWGC info - his mother wasn't mentioned - maybe there was a family falling out - as it doesn't look as if she died till 1940 (Anne B Hayes-Sadler aged 79 regd 1st qtr - Surrey S.E)

Other family MIC's -

Medal card of Sadler, Cecil William Hayes

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers Signal Company 2805 Mechanic Corporal

Royal Engineers Signal Company Temporary Lieutenant

and

Medal card of Hayes-Sadler, Mildred Sophia

Corps Regiment No Rank

Voluntary Aid Detachment

The Africa connection continued with Cecil William (who married a Winifred Danson) going out to Kenya. I found some BMD entries in The Times that I looked at briefly last night (but can't now access) for his marriage, the birth of 2 daughters in the 30"s and sadly the death of one - Anne Winifred on 20/2/45 in Kenya aged 12 years 4 months.

I wonder if a Boer War expert could provide some more info on Reginald

Cheers

Sue

Can't help with the army lot, but Who's Who for 1923 has a naval chap who looks as if he belongs. Do you want the entry, which has no family info? If yes, I shall dig it out on Thursday.

Daggers

Can't help with the army lot, but Who's Who for 1923 has a naval chap who looks as if he belongs. Do you want the entry, which has no family info? If yes, I shall dig it out on Thursday.

Daggers

I know there was a Rear Adm Hayes-Sadler in the Great war but I am yet to establish a family connection, Major R Hayes-Sadler and the Rear Adm Hayes-Sadler could be brothers or cousins but no connecting line as yet, thanks and I would like to take a look at the who's who entry, cheers Wayne

Wayne

Here is a two-fingered transcript, the book is too old and fat to scan. He is listed under S, with no hyphen.

"SADLER, Vice-Adm. Arthur Hayes, CSI 1916. Commander, Legion of Honour 1916; b.9 Oct 1863; 3rd son of late Sir Henry Hayes Sadler KCMG. Entd Navy 1877; Capt.1904. Rear-Adm.1915; Vice-Adm.1919; served Egyptian War 1882 (medal with clasp, bronze star); European War 1914-18 (CSI); retired list. Club: Naval & Military."

No others of similar name listed in this 1925 edition, not 1923 as I said earlier.

Hope it helps.

Daggers

Son Gerard Ralph aged 19 when killed. Father,the major, lived Cooleen, Farnborough, Hampshire. (CWGC)

Hello

This photo of his son appeared in The War Illustrated

Ian

Its amazing how young he looks there, fantastic picture, thank you.

• 5 years later...

From the 1891 census - they were living at: The Cottage, Hurst Green, Etchingham, (near Ticehurst in Sussex) - and it seems to confirm dad's first name was Reginald - and he was a military man (even if the transcribers couldn't work out his regiment). From the original it looks like ? = Yorks

It's 3rd Yorks Light Inf = 3rd Battalion, Yorkshire Light Infantry

Andrewr

I think that they must be related to Capt E.R.Hayes-Sadler, 2/8th Gurkha Rifles, Kia 30/10/14, and his younger brother Lieut E.J.B.Hayes-Sadler, Royal Engineers, Kia 28/10/14.

• 2 months later...

I've been researching the son, G. R. Hayes-Sadler, KIA 3.9.16, listed on the Roll of Honour in Winkfield Church. His Officer Service record contains a mention that administration of his estate (just under £100) would be considerably delayed as "Father on active service in German East Africa. Boy not over 21"

Andrewr

• 1 year later...

Better late than never! Major Reginald Hayes-Sadler was the son of Sir James Hayes-Sadler, KCMG. Born in 1856 he served in the Boer War and in WW1 as a political officer in German East Africa. A fuller account is in http://angloboerwar.com/index (p7226). He was the elder brother of the naval officer Arthur Hayes-Sadler.

• 10 months later...
Guest tobiasdevilliers

This projct came along during the past week or so. 2 Photo albums were picked up on a rubbish dump not far from my town. I thought how could people just throw away
their whole history from where they came from etc etc. I removed 400 + photos from the albums, scanned them and put them through Adobe Lightroom. I have put

my photo album I made up, on facebook and shortcuts to Rhodesian pages. I am now looking locally for the family to return their photos on diskette. Someone I

contacted pointed me toward this page. ESSKAY seems to have the best info so far and if I could help WASMAN to fill in the gaps with photos, so be it. Below my

link to that album. I am very new on this site so I do not know how to contact WASMAN. I am also looking for info on this family because I do not really know how

the family got down to Stillbay in the Western Cape province of South Africa.

https://www.facebook.com/Tobie.M.de.Villiers/media_set?set=a.10206864841880097.1073741902.1248437752&type=3