Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Official History...

Chris Boonzaier

Well I guess I'm number 5 with an interest in the Campaign in German South West Africa! I've added a couple of photos from when I visited Gibeon in 2001. I have to say I could have done with the accounts of the action on the kaiser cross website and the Harry Klein version posted above. J.J. Collyer's Official History of 'The Campaign in German South West Africa' gives a confusing account of the battle. I walked all over the battlefield site and couldn't make a lot of sense of his map, detailed though it was, or the description of events. The usually reliable Gerald L'Ange in his 'Urgent Imperial Service' helps but he evidently got confused as well. Throughout 'Urgent Imperial Service' the maps he uses are tidied up versions of the ones in the Official History with one exception. Gibeon. The map L'Ange uses instead just muddies the waters further! Sometime I will get round to pulling together all the accounts I have. Enjoy the photos. If anyone is interested I can post more.

james

post-36214-1263330186.jpg

German graves at Gibeon, Namibia. The former railway station is in the background.

post-36214-1263330202.jpg

Natal Light Horse graves at Gibeon, Namibia.

I've added a couple of photos from when I visited Gibeon in 2001. If anyone is interested I can post more.

james

Thanks for the photos, would love to see more- i doubt i'll ever get to go there.

jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to some earlier posts of 19 March 2007 and the death of Captain C.K. de Meillon of the Rand Intelligence Corp I found, whilst looking for the rest of my Gibeon slides, a photograph of his grave at Aus Cemetery. Taken on a visit to Namibia in 2001.

james

post-36214-1264543682.jpg