Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Vasiliy Nikitenko 129340 RGA

eltoro1960

Keith, I think and stress think , that he stayed in Lingerwood Road just round the corner from me, he enlisted in Edinburgh and given that it was RGA , maybe at the Peirshill Artillery Depot. I am 'enlisting' the help of Alex McKinnon an expert on all things Eastern European in the area to assist. Certainly his MM listing in the Gazette gives his residence as Newtongrange.

Peter

As has been discussed on this forum many times there are a myriad of reasons that names were not put forward for inclusion on war memorials, who are we to 2nd guess. CWGC is there to ensure that "Their name liveth forever more".

Andy

Andy, having being involved in some research regarding adding names to memorials, I beg you to consider the following.

The remaining family/relatives were illiterate and could not reply to written requests

The casualty had no relatives whatsoever

In their grief and suffering the family could not bring themselves to reply

The family had moved to another address which could not be traced

Whilst the CWGC is the sacrosanct record, the young people who are the future of our memories need to be reminded of the fallen on their local memorial

I think a good example is of a Dewsbury Widower who had two sons killed in the war and a third was a POW not repatriated until 1919. he drowned himself in late 1917. Who then to take up his cause ?

Possibly no relatives was becasue soldier was an orphan?

I know of one case of a Jewish Soldier in the Royal Fusileirs was a casualty of WW I and his parents were listed as his survivors at their home in Post WW I Poland on CWGC website.

I had a reply back today from my local Councillor, she was helpful and is refering the matter to the Chairman of the Community Council. The 'cost' word was mentioned but I know the Chairman and the Treasurer so fingers crossed. At least they have not said no at this stage which is encouraging.

• 7 months later...

I have not heard officially as yet, but through the 'grape vine' I am led to believe that the Council have agreed to put Vasiliy's name on the memorial. If it's true then I am absolutely delighted, hopefully I will be able to confirm this by the end of the week.

John

• 1 month later...

Well it wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped, it appears there were a couple of objectors on thr Community Council, but they were eventually over-ruled I am pleased to say,and this appeared in todays Midlothian Advertiser. I am very grateful to Charlies Sandbach for all the support he has given me in this campaign.

Ukrainian soldier to join village's roll of honour

THE name of a Ukrainian soldier who lived and worked in Newtongrange is to be added to the village's war memorial — almost 90 years after he was killed in action in the First World War.

Gunner Vasiliy Nikitenko MM of the Royal Garrison Artillery, originally from Little Russia, was a volunteer soldier who lost his life fighting for his adoptive country just six months before the end of the Great War.

Vasiliy had emigrated to Scotland as a young man, and settled in Newtongrange after finding work at the Lothian Coal Company.

He had already had been decorated for gallantry with the award of a Military Medal for bravery in the field. Tragically, he was killed in the summer of 1918 as he fought in resistance to the German onslaught.

Social historian Dr Charles E. Sandbach said:

“There is no doubt that Vasiliy was a brave man, forgotten simply because he had no next of kin to put forward his name for inclusion on his local war memorial.

“The sadness of the story is compounded by the facts that he left quite a sum of Army pay unclaimed and his gallantry and campaign medals never got issued, as there was no one to send them to.”

After a campaign backed <_< by Midlothian Councillor Wilma Chalmers, Vasiliy’s name will finally be added to the memorial at Newtongrange Park.

Councillor Chalmers said: “Having read the information I was of the opinion that it was only right and fitting that a young man who lived in Newtongrange, and who was willing to put his life on the line along with his adopted countrymen, should be recognised on our memorial stones as part of our war dead.

“He paid the ultimate cost for his bravery and no matter whether you consider him to be a transient worker, or a resident of Newtongrange as evidence has proved, he chose to sign up for a Scottish regiment.

“His actions speak for themselves and I think that our actions in Newtongrange should reflect our appreciation of his efforts and eventual sacrifice in our name.”

Rest in Peace Vasiliy.

Excellent result John, well worth your effort!! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter I have not been made privy to their objections, but I know that the first time around some were not too keen to have 'foreigners' on the memorial, which beggars belief. Some of the lads that appear on the memorial were just young kids when their parents brought them to Newtongrange at the turn of the century, and knew of no other home.

Fortunately common sense, decency and honour appear to have prevailed, as is usually the case.

John

• 3 months later...

Proud to say that Vasiliy Nikitenko's name was added to Newtongrange War Memorial in the Welfare Park today, his is the 75th name on the stone, an incredible amount for a village like mine. Now he can be remembered forever in the place he decided to make his home.

post-12171-1208374810.jpg

John

Well done John - a result!

Fortunately common sense, decency and honour appear to have prevailed, as is usually the case.

John

John, well done and congratulations on your resolve and fortitude.

• 10 years later...

Special i visited him he was in my great grandfathers regiment! Thanks for adding him!

Nikitenko.jpg

He and my great grandad had the MM i havnt found anyone else yet who won this medal..