Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Suffolks disbanded February 1918

steve fuller

Hi all

When the 9th Suffolks were disbanded it appears by looking at the Bedfordshire Rgt Medal Rolls that some Suffolk men went into the 7th Bds. Does the Btn war diary have a record of where the OR's went please?

Cheers :D

Hi all

When the 9th Suffolks were disbanded it appears by looking at the Bedfordshire Rgt Medal Rolls that some Suffolk men went into the 7th Bds. Does the Btn war diary have a record of where the OR's went please?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer Steve (I'd also be interested to know!), but I notice from a number of MIC's of 9th Suffolk men (e.g. those with numbers in the 43800's and 43900's) there appears to be no regiment to which they were subsequently attached. Those unequivocally of the 9th Battalion I've found to have been transferred to subsequent units include the following regiments (I don't have the battalions at the moment I'm afraid): Norfolk, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, London, Northamptonshire and Labour Corps. Many of these, of course, could have been transfered following being wounded, and not neccassarily related to the battalion disbandment in 1918. Some casualties of post-February 1918 within this number range were in the 12th and 11th Suffolks - but may or may not have previously been in the 9th Battalion.

Probably doesn't help much I'm afraid - I guess more questions raised than answers given!

cheers

Steve

Thanks anyway Steve - hopefully something will crop up ...

Steve and Steve

A lot of Suffolks seem to have been transferred to the Middlesex. I have 50 or so who ended up serving with the 1/19th Londons given the affiliation between the 19th and the Middx. Presumably many other Suffolks ended up in other Middx bns. 12 Suffolks were the most common battalion of origin, but there were 6 from 9 Suffolks as follows:

RICHARDSON R Pte 617101 Suffolk (09th) 14344

WARWICK JR Pte G/63241 Suffolk (09th) 4163

ALDRED VS Pte G/63251 Suffolk (09th) 12632

BLAKE E Pte G/63253 Suffolk (09th) 13443

FELSTEAD G Pte G/63267 Suffolk (09th) 45741

FITZJOHN R Pte G/63270 Suffolk (09th) 50432

The first number is the Middx/19th London number, the other is that of the Suffolks

The transfer must have been 1918 as all fatalties from this group were in the 100 days.

Charles

The Regimental History comments that drafts were sebt to the 11th and 12th Suffolks. The surplus went to the 5th Entrenching Battalion, eventually joining the 25th Division after 21st March. The survivors then were "parcelled out" to the 74th Brigade.

Unfortunately, there are no numbers included - only "drafts".

Hope this helps.

Thanks Charles and Steve. Looks like the block I have on my Medal Rolls are men returning from wounds etc then. The info is useful though as it eliminates possibilities, which is good of course!