The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 80th Infantry Regiment

Trenchrat

Hi,

I have an old phonograph record with the 80th IR's band playing two songs. Could someone tell me where the regiment was from? I know they were called the Fusilier Regiment von Gerdsdorf (1st Kurhessisches). What does Kurhessisches mean? What was the difference between a Fusilier Regiment and a regular Infantry regiment? Also, would it be possible to get a list of their battles and engagements? Did they take part in the Battle of the Somme and if so what did they do there?

Hello Trenchrat,

I have noted you have quite a few threads where you are looking for details on uniforms, units, etc. from the German army.

There are a number of excellent guides (in English) that provide a wealth of detail on all of these subjects. You could then research each unit quite easily. Do you have any of these references?

If not then I am sure the members can supply their names and ISBN numbers if available.

Ralph

In the German Army Fusiliers were traditionally smaller, more trustworthy men used for flank and advance guards. By this time it was, as in the British Army, an honorific title.

Kurhessiches means they are from Hesse-kassel (as opposed to Hesse Darmstadt or Hesse Homburg)

These lads were the senior Hesse-kassel infantry regiment and were based at Wiesbaden, their nickname was the Summer Guards, they were formed in 1813

Could you tell us what tunes are on the record?

Hi Ian,

The record was made by Lyrophon and the tunes are on side one:Deutschlanus Waffenehre

Marsch von Blankenburg. On side two we have:Gott mit uns March von Schroeder. You'll notice that the word March is spelled the English way on side two,perhaps that was an error on someone's part back when the record was made? The band was led by Kapellmeister E. Gottschalk. So the men of the 80th regiment would have been considered Hessians like the ones who fought against the US in the revolution right? Any idea as to why they were called the Summer Guards?

Hi Ralph,

I do have a number of reference books,but my collection and thus my knowledge isn't as extensive as it could be.

These soldiers are indeed Hessians as in the American Revolution. Hesse-Kassel sent 17,000 soldiers to America to fight for King George.

Blankenburg was, and is, a very famous composer of marches writing around a 1,000. Many of these were sadly lost in the WW2 bombing. His critics sometimes say he wrote so many he plagirised himself.

I will look up Schroeder and Gottschalk - the names seem familiar

IR 80 (21. Division)

25.9.-6.10 Somme

7.10.14 –

18.10.15 Roye

29.10. – 2.11. Le Quesnoy

3. – 4.11. Andechy

9.2. – 27.4. Verdun

17.5. – 10.9. Aisne

13.9. – 4.10. Somme

9.10 – 12.11. Mihiel/Apremont

27.11.16 –