Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these Engineers?

small scot

My Mum found an old photo (original approx 5 1/2 cm each way). We think that they're Great War vintage, and if they are, then the one standing up is probably my Great-Uncle Bill, who we know was in the Royal Engineers (as a 2/Lt).

Is there anything in the photo that can identify them as RE officers? Or indeed, as anything else?

Many thanks

Ailsa

post-17856-1174248856.jpg

And for extra data, closeups of the collar badges of the gentleman standing up, and of most of the uniform of the one sitting down.

Ailsa

post-17856-1174249014.jpg

post-17856-1174249027.jpg

Ailsa,

Thanks for posting the photo and close-ups and I would say that they're almost certainly Royal Engineers officers.

Graham.

They look like RE. Can you count the flames on the grenades?

The RE has 9 and RA 7

Unfortunetely both have Ubique underneath.

I would though be 99% sure they are RE.

stevem

Many thanks to both of you. :)

Unfortunately, the original is small, and enlarging it doesn't show the flames on the grenades very well for counting (not until I get some time to play with image processing software, anyway). But I'll gladly go with the opinion of RE, given that we know he was in them when he died.

Bit of a question about the one sitting down. Can anyone tell me why his uniform has such long cuffs with some sort of trim up them? Or is that just the standard uniform and I'm showing my ignorance? It seems a little more ornate than I expected for some reason...

Ailsa

Many thanks to both of you. :)

Unfortunately, the original is small, and enlarging it doesn't show the flames on the grenades very well for counting (not until I get some time to play with image processing software, anyway). But I'll gladly go with the opinion of RE, given that we know he was in them when he died.

Bit of a question about the one sitting down. Can anyone tell me why his uniform has such long cuffs with some sort of trim up them? Or is that just the standard uniform and I'm showing my ignorance? It seems a little more ornate than I expected for some reason...

Ailsa

That is his badge of rank -Officer - 2/Lieut by the looks of it - one pip!. adopted in 1902. they were difficult to recognise in the trenches so shoulder strap ones were used. The cuff badges were abolished in 1920.

stevem

That is his badge of rank -Officer - 2/Lieut by the looks of it - one pip!. adopted in 1902. they were difficult to recognise in the trenches so shoulder strap ones were used. The cuff badges were abolished in 1920.

stevem

Ah! Thanks again Steve. Should have guessed it would be related to officerdom.

I have now learnt something new, so today has not been wasted, despite the chaos at work. ;)

Ailsa