Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The "Misser"

Rory Reynolds

Hi all

On one of the service records I have appears the words - Disembarked Alexandria ex "Misser" from Sollum 3/4/16.

Could anyone demystify this for me please. I suspect that Misser must be a ship (disembarked sort of gives it away...) but I can find no reference to her.

Regards

Rory

Hi all

On one of the service records I have appears the words - Disembarked Alexandria ex "Misser" from Sollum 3/4/16.

Could anyone demystify this for me please. I suspect that Misser must be a ship (disembarked sort of gives it away...) but I can find no reference to her.

Regards

Rory

MISSIR

Khedivial Mail S.S. & Graving Dock Co.; 1864; Barclay Curie &

Co.; 786 tons; 226-5x28x15-6; 135 n.h.p.; 9 knots; compound

engines.

The steamship Missir was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean by German submarine UB 51 whilst on a voyage from Alexandria to Sollum 80 miles W. by N. of Alexandria on May 29th, 1918.

Thirty-four persons were killed. The captain was among the

survivors

Regards John

Sollum in Egypt is in the right area if the ship was in fact the Missir and torpedoed off Alexandria.

I can only find a couple of references to the Missir.

Missir, 786grt, 29 May 1918, 80 miles W by N from Alexandria, torpedoed without warning and sunk by submarine, 34 lives lost

http://www.worldwar1atsea.net/WW1oMSLosses1918.htm

British transport Missir (786t) sunk 80 nm off Alexandria by U-Boot. 44 (including 34 crew) lost.

http://www.stile.coventry.ac.uk/cbs/staff/...ahnavy/1918.htm