Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Stoneham

gramal

Hello, I'm new to this website so please bear with me if I seem a bit thick!

I'm trying to find out more information on my grandfather and have a copy of his medal card with two regiments on it:

Royal West Kent Regiment - Regiment No: 15619 and

R Fusiliers - Regiment No: GS/60727

His SWB number is: TP/3388.

Family stories differ regarding whether he was injured in Ypres or Somme.

I visited the National Archives in Kew in November, trying to find out where and when he lost his leg but was unable to find his records on WO 363 or WO 364. I'm going back up there on Tuesday and would be grateful for any tips.

Many thanks

Marilyn

you could check the PIN series

also look at the medal and SWB rolls - they might give a battalion and then look at the war diary (but its rare to get OR mentions)

also check the WO mis sorts

Marilyn

The only Stoneham G I found was in WO339/58376 which is the Officers Long Number papers from 1914-1922. My search didn't show any Stoneham G in the WO363 Mis-sorts so I would think that his papers weren't there. I have done these Mis-Sort checks on line before. If you enter the surname only on the NAs Catalogue search page and WO at the bottom it should give you all WO references for Stoneham and there wasn't one in Mis-Sorts for your man.

If his records were in the normal WO363 microfilm spools they would be in WO363/S2359.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Morning Marilyn,

I would like to point you in a different direction for your visit to Kew Tomorrow. I sense that you mainly want to know when and where George was injured. Military Medical Records for soldiers of the Great War are held at Kew, the document reference numbers are MH 106. Apparently they are in 2000 boxes but are in Regimental order. The index to what is where is in box MH 106/ 2386. If you are lucky and I think you will be, you will get the date he appeared at a Casualty Clearing station, then the base hospital etc.. A second line of enquiry is to try the pensions records. He will surely have got a pension for the loss of a leg. These records are the ones currently coming on line from Ancestry U.K. and I think they are also available from the Veterans Agency, Norcross, Blackpool. I have never as yet used the MH 106 boxes but am assured all is as stated, so please come back and let me know how you got on.

Happy hunting Mike

I thought these medical records only cover 2 or 3 regiements (leicestershire I think was one)

be interested if they do exist for the coldstream gds but pretty sure they dont

Thanks for looking into this for me. I did check spool S2359 when I was last at Kew in November. Also looked on WO364 with no luck. I didn't realise you could do a search online for the mis-sorts, you learn something new each day! When I go up there tomorrow, I'm going to try PIN 26 and the Medal Roll Entries - hopefully I'll find something there.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this for me, it's much appreciated.

Regards

Marilyn

Thanks everyone for your help on this, I really didn't expect to receive so much useful information. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your time.

Kind regards

Marilyn