Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut. T.H. Gladstone, POW

zeusstamp

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time finding any service information on a T.H. Gladstone. His diary lists his full name as Frances Thomas Henry, but he puts his initials as T.H. It also seems he was engaged to an Alice Whiting. According to the name-page in the diary he was in the 24th Bn. London Regiment and attached to the 2/2 Bn. London Regiment. He was taken prisoner on March 21, 1918 and eventually released after the armistice. Any help would be great!! Thanks.

welcome to the forum

This him ?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=3

Medal card of Gladstone, Thomas Henry

Corps Regiment No Rank

11th London Regiment 1272 Serjeant

11th London Regiment 450054 Serjeant

4th London Regiment Second Lieutenant

4th London Regiment Second Lieutenant

Im sure there is a book that lists POW officers.

Like you say , the unit details dont tally exactly but the name isnt common so likely to be him - but you never know!

Im sure there is a book that lists POW officers.

Like you say , the unit details dont tally exactly but the name isnt common so likely to be him - but you never know!

Looks like you were right. The medal card seems to confirm the regimental details in the diary..so I guess this is him. The medal card also contains a lot of info I can't seem to decipher and the "How To Read a Medal Card" wasn't that helpful...I attached the medal card - Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

post-19961-1174170738.jpg

post-19961-1174170772.jpg

shows he went to Egypt 10/8/15 - medals 14/15 star and war/vict medal

entitled to a SWB - wounded /injured/sick at some point

off/30 page 133 - relates to the book and page of the 1914/15 star medal roll (held at the NA)

comm 24 London regt - date commissioned into the 24 th - 30 may 1917

medal cards links on line are often "wrong" compared to the actual card - if we struggle to decipher then so did the person who typed it in !

Also, the other numbers. ie nh/2/13017 are reference to correspondence - personally never worked out that they mean anything

Just to confuse things Officers taken Prisoner lists him as 2nd London and being captured 21.3.18 and released/repatriated on 18.12.18

Just to confuse things Officers taken Prisoner lists him as 2nd London and being captured 21.3.18 and released/repatriated on 18.12.18

Thanks!!! Everyone's help on this has been amazing! From what he says in his diary everyone is right about the details.