Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte George Henry Hutchinson 205490

mawgan

I just wanted to share this with you all, it made me feel very proud. My daughter (13) went to Ypres yesterday and this is what she said about Tyne Cot,

" It was so big, with just so many graves, I said a quiet thank you to them all. They're all together but they must get lonely so I chose a grave & sat with him for a while & just kept him company. I promised him he was not forgotten & we would always remember."

The soldier was Pte George Hutchinson, 4 Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment, died 26/12/1917 age 19.

She also kept company awhile with an unknown soldier (who would visit him?) & was proud to take part in the Last Post ceremony laying a wreath in memory of her great great uncle KIA 08/08/1918.

If anyone has any info about the 4 battalion at this time we'd love to find out about George.

Thanks for your indulgence, I really was so proud of her & must admit that I had to stop the car when she was telling me , to wipe away a tear.

Amazing how its affects even the young. My G/daughter (see avatar) did the same thing. She is 9 and sat for ages with the 'unknown' and then asked if I could photgraph them together!

She also complains like mad when I do not take her on my trips. Even on holiday on the Belgium coast she will visit cemeteries with me.

The 1/4th east Yorkshire were part of 150th brigade, 50 Div.

Soldiers Died has

1/4th East Yorks-

Hutchinson, George Henry, born Tursdale Co Durham, enlisted Ferryhill Co Durham, (abode Metal bridge),

205490, Private, Killed in Action , France and Flanders, 26/12/17.

A sad Christmas present for his family.

stevem