Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lt Leslie Oakes Crowther.

timhog

Hi to one and all.

Another name from the Shoreham WW1 list.

2 Lt Leslie Oakes Crowther, 9th Royal West Kent Regt.

Pilot U/T RAeC Cert 2233, 20-12-1915.

We have CWGC and a little from RFC Communiques.

Any other info please?

Tim.

Tim

Obituary from The Times dated 12th Dec 1916

"CAPTAIN LESLIE OAKES CROWTHER. Flight Commander, R.F.C., killed on December 6, was the second son of Mr. and Mrs. H. O. Crowther, of Broadclyst, Beckenham, Kent. Born in 1891, he was educated at St. Andrew's School, Eastbourne, and Malvern College, afterwards spending two years in New York and Dresden for educational purposes. Captain Crowther joined the Royal West Kent Regiment in September, 1914, and in December, 1915, transferred to the Royal Flying Corps. For many months he had been at the front, where he was engaged in many air flights and bomb-dropping expeditions. His major writes:- "The squadron has lost a most capable and poular officer, and I cannot say how sorry I am and my officers to have lost such a good fellow""

Regards

Pam

Tim

Capt Leslie Oakes Crowther (formerly 9th Bn, Royal West Kent Regiment) was flying BE 2d 5832 of No 12 Sqn RFC when he was killed in an accident on 6 December 1916. He ius buried at Avesnes-le-Comte, France. The observer in 4832 was 2Lt A B Fanstone, who was injured.

It may be significant that the RFC Communiqué says of the period 5 to 9 December (inclusive): No service flying took place due to unfavourable weather.

I hope this helps

Gareth

Pam.

Thank`s a lot for that.

Tim.

Gareth.

Thanks for that, yes the weather may have been part of this crash.

Tim.