Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lt Eric Arthur Cave RFC.

timhog

Hi to one and all.

Another name from the Shoreham airport WW1 list.

2Lt Eric Arthur Cave RFC.

All we have is CWGC and that he flew at Shoreham.

Can any one help with info please?

Tim.

Hi Tim,

According to "Men Who Died . . ." 2nd Lt Eric Arthur Cave, native of Rushden, of Number 24 squadron died in a flying accident in DH2 No: 5926.

As a matter of interest, Number 24 squadron was the first squadron on the Western Front to be established with a single type of aircraft (before that time squadrons used to operate a variety of aeroplanes) and also the first to be equiped with the Airco DH2 'pusher' scout, though there was a single prototype DH2 already being evaluated by Number 5 squadron. Number 24 squadron was formed in late 1915 and flew to France on 7th February 1916, under the command of Major Lanoe Hawker (first man to win a VC in aerial combat). In the early days of the DH2, there were many flying accidents - especially at Number 29 squadron - as it was not an easy aeroplane to fly and had engine reliability problems. 2nd Lt Cave died less than a week after being posted to France, possibly before he even flew on operations.

Regards

Steve

Steve.

Thanks as ever.

Tim.

Pam.

Thank you for that it`s all good stuff.

Tim.

• 1 year later...

I actually have the original of that photograph of Eric Arthur Cave, as well as one of his father. I have done some research into the Cave Family, who were very influential people in Rushden.

Eric is remembered on three memorials - The town one, The Church one and one relating to employees of the Yorkshire Newspaper where he worked as a reporter.

I also have his fathers Bank Book which shows a small payment to the Imperial War Graves Commission - no doubt for a small additional Inscription to his stone.

If anyone wants more I can provide it.

ken

From the Northampton Independent 12-2-1916

post-6536-1215108998.jpg

Steve.

I have also - since my previous post - noticed that Eric's Aviators Index Card Certificate is available on Ancestry - which also has his photograph. Not the one above but an earlier one.

Ken

• 6 years later...

I actually have the original of that photograph of Eric Arthur Cave, as well as one of his father. I have done some research into the Cave Family, who were very influential people in Rushden.

Eric is remembered on three memorials - The town one, The Church one and one relating to employees of the Yorkshire Newspaper where he worked as a reporter.

I also have his fathers Bank Book which shows a small payment to the Imperial War Graves Commission - no doubt for a small additional Inscription to his stone.

If anyone wants more I can provide it.

ken

I'd be very interested in a scan of the photograph, if possible, Ken. Eric Arthur Cave attended Kent College and I am writing a book about their war dead.

From 'Flight' of 2 March 1916:

Second Lieutenant ERIC A. CAVE, Royal Flying Corps, has been killed in action. He was the son of Mr. Arthur Cave, of Rushden, manager of the Standard Rotary Machine Company, and had crossed the Channel only eight or ten days before he was killed. Second Lieutenant Cave was 22 years of age, was an accomplished linguist, speaking French, German, and Italian fluently, and had travelled extensively in Italy and Germany. About two years ago he made translations of Mr. G. K. Chesterton's stories into German, but they were not published owing to some difficulties about the copyright. The gallant young officer was a journalist of considerable promise. He had occupied positions on the Northampton Daily Echo and the Northampton Independent, and at the time of his enlistment was on the staff of the Yorkshire Daily Observer.

Rather than being killed in action, he was killed in DH2 5926 when he spun and nosedived from 800 feet on a practice flight at Bertangles.

Graeme

• 4 months later...

Corvo

I am sorry that never noticed your request - If you still want more stuff relating to Mr.Cave please let me know.

kenneth59730AThotmail.com

• 1 month later...

Corvo

I am sorry that never noticed your request - If you still want more stuff relating to Mr.Cave please let me know.

kenneth59730AThotmail.com

Thank you, Kenneth. I've sent you a private email.

Graham