Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Lothian Newspaper Archives

tommie

Tom, that really is tremendously good of you. Much appreciated, Dom

PS If you need a look-up at NA let me know.

Dom

Sorry not got round to typing it yet.

post-13002-1183989666.jpg

PM me your Email Address and i will email the full size scan.

You can also see full size scan here

Naval Raid

Tom

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for that. I've managed to print off a readable copy. Just wondered if you could tell me the newspaper and date.

Many thanks once again.

Dom

Hi Tom

Can I ask if the papers cover the Dalmeny area?

I'm currently trying to work my way through the memorial and there are a few names that are difficult to reconcile with the CWGC and SDGW CD-Rom.

Regards

LIT

Tom, Are you still able to do a look-ups?

Captain Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell MILLER MC, 1/10th Royal Scots

Miller lived in Edinburgh and his territorial unit came from Linlithgow and the West Lothian area.

Thanks, Tim

Hi Tom

Can I ask if the papers cover the Dalmeny area?

I'm currently trying to work my way through the memorial and there are a few names that are difficult to reconcile with the CWGC and SDGW CD-Rom.

Regards

LIT

LIT,

So Far

21st July 1916

Private James Cameron, Cameron Highlanders Died of Wounds.

He was the younger son of Mr McKenzie Cameron, Longgreen. Dalmeny.

27th October 1916

Pte J Wilson 12945 Dalmeny Scots Guards Wounded

20th April 1917

Private John Gibson late Scots Guards who resided at Dalmeny was killed about 930 on Wednesday evening by being run over by the Edinburgh motor Charabane in the vicinity of Dalmeny Station. Private Gibson had been at the front since the early days of the War, he had been called up as a Reservist, and served with the Seaforth Highlanders until returning home due to being wounded in the Head and Leg.

12th October 1917

Mr George Livingstone Mine Fireman Dalmeny has recienved word from General Hospital France that his eldest son LCpl John Livingstone Lewis Gunner Royal Scots (TF) has been wounded in the Leg.

June 28th 1918

Mr Moodie residing Rosehill Dalmeny has received word from an Army Chaplin that his son Cpl Charles Moodie Royal Scots has been Killed in Action.

Charles prior to enlisting was a Porter at Dalmeny Station.

5th October 1918

Pte H Fleming 3381 Dalmeny Royal Scots Wounded

29th November 1918

Mrs Reilly Dalmeny Village has been notified that her son Sgt Reilly has been killed in action on the 29th October. + Letter from Captain RW Pedder.

Will have a look at 1914 1915 tonight

Tom

Hi Tom

I really appreciate all you have done. There are a few extra pieces of info for some of the men you mention that I didn't have.

The John Gibson one is really interesting as he is not menntioned on the Dalmeny or South Queensferry memorial, I assume because he died as a result an accident at home presumably having been discharged due to wounds.

The Dalmeny memorial is quite basic with only the surname and first initial given. The other men that I can't pin down to a definite Dalmeny/South Queensferry connection are:

Anderson, P

Campbell, A

Campbell, R

Campbell, W

Cullen, J

Johnston, C

MacKay, J

McKinlay, J

Nelson, J.C.

Robertson, R

Rutherford, A

Many thanks for all your help.

Regards

LIT

Tom, Are you still able to do a look-ups?

Captain Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell MILLER MC, 1/10th Royal Scots

Miller lived in Edinburgh and his territorial unit came from Linlithgow and the West Lothian area.

Thanks, Tim

Tim,

I have had a look at i cant find anything about Capt Miller, i did not note from the London Gazette that he was a Cadet Lance Corporal, Charterhouse School Contingent, Junior Division, Officers Training Corps.

The West Lothian Courier had articles for the 2/10th during thier time on costal defence, but as i say i could not find anything for him.

Sorry

Tom

Thanks for looking Tom. I was aware of the Charterhouse link. I was just hoping his MC or a wound would have led to a small piece in the local papers. Kind of you to offer, regards Tim

Hello Tom,

I wondered if you might have had a chance to look for any mention of 650401, Cpl/Gnr John William Munro Hunter, as described in my earlier request ? As I haven't heard anything I thought it might have got overlooked due to the many other requests for help. Hoping you can help or advise on where to look or who to contact. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Tom,

I'm not sure if my request fulfills the criteria for your generous offer, but I would be most grateful if you would be kind enough to do a look up for me in the Edinburgh Newspapers on one of your visits to Edinburgh Library.

I am researching the career of 650401, Cpl/Gnr John William Munro Hunter who was awarded the Military Medal whilst serving with 383/ BY: Royal Field Artillery. His MM was announced in the London Gazette dated 19 March, 1918 and he was shown as coming from Edinburgh. This corresponds with his number, which belongs to the sequence allocated to the 1st (City of Edinburgh) Brigade RFA, part of the Lowland Division. He was most probably a pre-war Territorial as he was entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal and continued to serve post-war and was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal. Many thanks.

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

I have had a look and have found nothing for John William Munro Hunter, the West Lothian Courier does not cover the city of Edinburgh as such but occasionally some men are mentioned mainly officers.

Sorry

Tom

Dom

Not sure if this is what you are after:

West Lothian Courier Friday June 21 1918

A Hero of Zeebrugge

They had with them that day (Armadale Galaday) one of the crew of the Vindictive - Mr McMaster, Armadale - one of the Zeebrugge heroes. they were pleased to see him, hale and hearty, and he (Provost Greig) asked that he be given three hearty Cheers. (Cheers)

A Couple of Columns Opposite

Among those who took part in Armadale Children’s Galaday was Thomas McMaster, a young man of 20, whose parents reside near Hardhill Terrace, Armadale. He was in the Gun Section on board the Vindictive, and took an active part in the blocking of Zeebrugge.

As a result of the trying time through which he experienced, he has been recuperating since.

Prior to the War, Mr McMaster had qualified as a wireless operator in the Mercantile Service. On the Outbreak of War it was natural that his tastes lay with the Navy and not the Military and so he joined the Navy. He has been is several Naval adventures, but that of Zeebrugge proved to be the hottest of any previous adventure. He had several close calls, but was able to get through without any injury. As natural so soon as it became known he had been in the big naval stunt, he was cynosure of all eyes, and the recipient of many hearty hand shakes from old and new friends.

Tom

Dom,

Maybe another one for you

West Lothian Courier

Friday 16th August 1918

On Wednesday, Leading Stoker Robert Smellie, son of Mr & Mrs Smellie, Chapel Lane Bathgate, rejoined his ship, after having a short holiday on shore. Mr Smellie took part in the Jutland fight, and also in the fight at Zeebrugge.

At Jutland he was mainly engaged keeping the engine going, so saw little of the fighting, but at Zebrugge he formed one of the party who took one of the ships in, and helped in blocking up the entrance channel. After the ship had been taken in and sunk, Smellie and others made of in a fourteen oar cutter. They ran the gauntlet of the German machine gun fire, and after clearing were almost within Holland Territorial Waters. On realising that they were nearing the three mile limit, the Cutters course was altered, and she was able to get within the safety of British destroyers.

Leading Stoker Smellie entered the Navy in May 1915. The Jutland fight took place in September, 1915 and the Zebrugge manoeuvres in April last.

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks very much for looking for John William Munro Hunter in the West Lothian Courier. Can you advise on what resources exist re: the Great War and men from the City of Edinburgh who were awarded Gallantry Medals, in Edinburgh Local History Library please ? Thanks for your help.

Regards

Ron

Ron,

For my Armadale & District research I have used the West Lothian Courier and Linlithgowshire Gazette archives, which are held on Microfilm at the West Lothian Local History Library in Blackburn, unfortunately these do not cover Edinburgh.

I am not sure what resources are available for the men from Edinburgh, but I will find out and get back to you.

Tom

Dom,

I will keep my eyes open for any more.

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks very much for your offer to check out what resources are available at Edinburgh Library regarding men from Edinburgh who served in the Great War. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

• 11 months later...

Davie,

post-13002-1215113725.jpg

post-13002-1215113734.jpg

This is very kind of you. If you can find anything I these men I would be grateful...

John Stevenson, 14th Hussars att RHG

Born in Bo’ness, Falkirk, near Linlithgow,

Killed March 1917 France

James Anthony QOOH

James Anthony was born and enlisted in Bathgate the son of William and Agnes Anthony of Bathgate, West Lothian, Killed April 1917

Or any other 14th or 20th Hussar

Many thanks

Patrick,

James Anthony QOOH

James Anthony was born and enlisted in Bathgate the son of William and Agnes Anthony of Bathgate, West Lothian, Killed April 1917

I have the details for James and his brothers i will look them out tonight, as for any others i will have a look.

Tom

Tom

Wondered if you had any details of the funeral of the following:

Lieutenant William Alexander Whitelaw

Date of death – 14th February 1919.

Service – 3rd Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Service no. – n/a

Place of burial – Liberton Cemetery, Edinburgh, grave C 134

Thanks

Stuart

James Anthony QOOH

post-13002-1215197403.jpg

post-13002-1215197506.jpg

Many many thanks Tom, have you the date of the newspaper?

Would you mind telling me his brothers' names & units if you know them for the full picture about him and his family? Very grateful for this

THANKS

hussars[symbol for at] which.net