Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Lothian Newspaper Archives

tommie

Hello All,

Just to let members know that I will, in April be taken some time off to go through the Newspaper archives of the Linlithgowshire Gazette and West Lothian Courier 1914 - 1919.

If anyone would like anything checked while I am there just drop us a line and I will do my best to find something!

Cheers Tom

If you could have a look for anything on:

Name: MORRISON

Initials: J M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 119th Heavy Bty.

Date of Death: 09/12/1917

Service No: 72407

Additional information: Husband of Helen Webster White Morrison.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. E. 8.

Cemetery: GREVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY

Full name is John McKillop Morrison. He's commemorated on the Linlithgow War Memorial.

If there's a photo I'd be very interested in a copy, but whatever information you can find would be great.

Regards,

David

Hello Tom,

I'm not sure if my request fulfills the criteria for your generous offer, but I would be most grateful if you would be kind enough to do a look up for me in the Edinburgh Newspapers on one of your visits to Edinburgh Library.

I am researching the career of 650401, Cpl/Gnr John William Munro Hunter who was awarded the Military Medal whilst serving with 383/ BY: Royal Field Artillery. His MM was announced in the London Gazette dated 19 March, 1918 and he was shown as coming from Edinburgh. This corresponds with his number, which belongs to the sequence allocated to the 1st (City of Edinburgh) Brigade RFA, part of the Lowland Division. He was most probably a pre-war Territorial as he was entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal and continued to serve post-war and was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal. Many thanks.

Regards,

Ron

Tom

I would be grateful if you could find anything for these two men, both from Newbattle / Newtongrange but enlisted in West Lothian.

Joseph Darling L/Sgt 35457 1st Bttn HLI , died of wounds 20/10/1918 Mesopotamia, enlisted Fauldhouse

Born Newbattle.

Frank Morrison Pte 47665 RAMC , killed in action 30/09/1918 F&F, Enlisted Broxburn, Born Newbattle.

If I can assist with anything in the Dalkeith Advertiser, don't hesitate to contact me.

John

I dont know if this one qualifies as he was discharged and died in 1917. I would be extrememly happy if there was anything on him.

My Great Grandfather, Robert T Greenlees served in the RNR from Jan 1916 to Aug 1916. He was discharged for TB and later died in 1917 in Livingstone.

His death details are:

Robert Greenlees (Shale Miner, formerly Trimmer in the RNR [Discharged]), married to Sarah Hunter.

Died 22nd April 1917 at 117 Main Street, Livingstone Station, Livingstone

Cause: Pulmonary TB

Thanks,

Andy

:) Hello,

Would you be good enough to look out for information on an Armadale Man? His name was Peter Brannan and he was wounded in action at the battle of loos on the 26 Sept. 1915. He was a Pte in the 7th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders and had enlisted into the 1st Battalion in 1896. He fought at Omberman and also served in South Africa. It would be great if there was a photo of him, but any information would be great. There was a small entry for him in the Edin. Evening News.

Regards,

Stewart

Would you be good enough to look out for information on an Armadale Man? His name was Peter Brannan and he was wounded in action at the battle of loos on the 26 Sept. 1915. He was a Pte in the 7th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders and had enlisted into the 1st Battalion in 1896. He fought at Omberman and also served in South Africa. It would be great if there was a photo of him, but any information would be great. There was a small entry for him in the Edin. Evening News.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

Armadale is my town, and i do have some details on Peter Brannan, I do recall I have a news article about his home being broke into when he was serving in France, and also one on him being wounded.

He was employed as a miner when War broke out, and his United Collieries Roll of Honour is in the Local Library.

I will have a look tonight when i get home and get back to you, i have all the articles i could find for Armadale and Blackridge from the War dated papers.

Tom

:) That's amazing. The Mining Roll of honour you mention is now online and I found him on it under Blackriggs Colliery. I have a full set of his service papers, ie Victorian, WW1 re-enlistment and discharge. I also have his original parchment discharge from the army dated 1910. If you would like copies for your archive, I would be more than happy to send them. He served with the D Company, 7th Seaforths in WW1 and was wounded in the arm.

There is one other fellow who, if you come across, I would be interested to hear about. His name was John Munnoch. He was a Pte in the 5th Royal Scots, but was also a fairly well known artist prior to the war and had shown a few pieces at the Royal Scottish Academy. His was from Broxburn. He was wounded at Gallipoli and a notice to that effect was in the Edinburgh Evening news on the 10th July 1915, according to which he was in Hospital in Alexandria. He was killed in action on the 28th June 1915, but offical intimation does not appear in the Edinburgh papers until about September 1915. You will have noticed his wounding appears in the papers after he was killed, it just shows how long it took official news to travel back from Gallipoli. Some of his work can be found via Google.

Regards,

Stewart

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart Found This under 1st October 1915

post-13002-1174386826.jpg

Tom

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

Also found this under 6th October 1916

post-13002-1174387484.jpg

Tom

Dear Tom,

Please look for anything on Patrick McCavigan 20318 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, killed on July 1 1916 on the Ancre. He is commemorated on the Winchburgh memorial. Thank you,

Kevin

Thank you very much for these newspaper cuttings, they add so much to his story. It's amazing they did not just patch up his arm as best they could or just cut it off, I did not realize they did skin grafts at this time.

Regards,

Stewart

If you could have a look for anything on:

Name: MORRISON

Initials: J M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 119th Heavy Bty.

Date of Death: 09/12/1917

Service No: 72407

Additional information: Husband of Helen Webster White Morrison.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. E. 8.

Cemetery: GREVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY

Full name is John McKillop Morrison. He's commemorated on the Linlithgow War Memorial.

If there's a photo I'd be very interested in a copy, but whatever information you can find would be great.

Regards,

David

Hello David,

Sorry could not see a photo in the Courier, However i will check Gazette in April.

Did However find this

post-13002-1174565569.jpg

PM me your email Address and i will send you the full size scan.

Tom

:) That's amazing.

There is one other fellow who, if you come across, I would be interested to hear about. His name was John Munnoch.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart found two little bits in the Courier:

post-13002-1174565783.jpg post-13002-1174565809.jpg

Will email you the full size scan.

Tom

:) Tom,

You have blown my socks off twice in one week. Thank you very much, it's great to see a photo of Mr Munnoch. I wounder what was in the article about his trying to leave Holland?

Thanks once again,

Stewart

:) Tom,

You have blown my socks off twice in one week. Thank you very much, it's great to see a photo of Mr Munnoch. I wounder what was in the article about his trying to leave Holland?

Thanks once again,

Stewart

Stewart,

I will keep my eyes open for the Holland article.

I will be spending some time at the archives at the start of next month.

Also with reference to Peter Brannan, his United Collieries Active service roll was handed into the local Library, I will speak to the Library Manager and ask her who handed it in, I am pretty sure it was one of Peter's Descendants, you never know there may be more related items!

Tom

Tom, I am interested in Nurse Elizabeth Simpson, TFNS, who died on the 10th May 1917 and is buried in plot 1.33 Uphall Cemetery, West Lothian. I don't know if she was a local girl or was buried in the area where she died. I suspect the latter and so there might not be much in the local paper. Hers is also a case where I am hoping to get someone to take a photograph of her headstone so if you are passing the cemetery .........

Jim

Tom, I am interested in Nurse Elizabeth Simpson, TFNS, who died on the 10th May 1917 and is buried in plot 1.33 Uphall Cemetery, West Lothian. I don't know if she was a local girl or was buried in the area where she died. I suspect the latter and so there might not be much in the local paper. Hers is also a case where I am hoping to get someone to take a photograph of her headstone so if you are passing the cemetery .........

Jim

Jim

Will check the archives.

i will go to Uphall on Saturday and photograph the Grave no problem, just hope the weather is nice for a good Photo.

Tom

I think you are going to be extremely busy! It would be most appreciated if you could find anything on Midshipman Humphrey ML Durrant died 6th June 1916, commemorated at Dalmeny and Queensferry Cemetary, West Lothian.

He was only 16 and was one of the few survivors off the Queen Mary at the Battle of Jutland.

The only thing My father in law told us about his time in both wars was about Humphrey. He was on the jetty somewhere at Helles and saw the battleship Canopus off shore and asked the rating if anyone ever came ashore as he knew his brother was on it. At that moment a boat came towards them, and the midshipman-in-charge was Humphrey. The brothers were very close and that was the last time they saw each other.

Never fails to move me, God bless him

Shirley

• 1 month later...

Jim

Jim

Got it Eventually!

post-13002-1178185438.jpg

Was looking for a CWGC Headstone and could not find one, but i did go back and search the entire Graveyard and found the above.

Tom

If you want a copy of the original photo drop us your email address.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello All,

Just to let members know that I will, in April be taken some time off to go through the Newspaper archives of the Linlithgowshire Gazette and West Lothian Courier 1914 - 1919.

If anyone would like anything checked while I am there just drop us a line and I will do my best to find something!

Cheers Tom

Hello All,

I have not forgotten about these inquiries.

This past bank holiday I spent all day printing off all the West Lothian Courier articles that were War related from August 1914 through till November 1919.

Now that I have a hard copy with all the Newspaper dates I am hoping it will make look ups a lot easier.

Tom

PS I hope to get all the Linlithgow Gazette articles that did not appear in the Courier

Tom,

Don't know if your research will cover the following 4th, 5th, & 4/5th Black Watch men that hail from Edinburgh (but could have possibly lived on the outskirts), however, if you do chance upon any of these soldiers, and take down a few notes, I would be extremely grateful. Also, if you need any Dundee/Angus lookups, I will do my best:

1/4th Black Watch

Masson, Alexander Robert -- Pte -- S/28707 -- 15/10/1918 -- Died At Home -- Duffus Cemetery, Moray, Scotland, Row C. 307. -- Born Edinburgh

1/5th Black Watch

Hutchison, George -- Pte -- 467 -- 10/10/1916 KIA -- Thiepval Memorial, Pier and Face 10 A. -- Born Edinburgh

4/5th Black Watch

Clark, James -- Pte -- 291951 -- 31/03/1918 -- KIA -- Crucifix Corner Cemetery, Villers-Bretonneux , Somme, Row VII. A. 10. -- Born Edinburgh

Doig, Alexander -- Pte -- S/21949 -- 09/02/1918 -- KIA -- Fins New British Cemetery, Sorel-Le-Grand, Somme, Row IV. B. 4. -- Born Edinburgh

McGlidill [McGledill], Alvin -- Sgt -- 1435 -- 01/04/1918 -- KIA -- Pozieres Memorial, Panel 49 and 50. -- Born Edinburgh

Nelson, Andrew -- Pte -- 201061 -- 20/07/1918 -- KIA -- Soissons Memorial -- Born Edinburgh

Aye

Tom McC

Hi Tom,

I am researching participants in the naval raid on Zeebrugge 22-23 April 1918. Would you be kind enough to check whether, in the aftermath of the raid, there was any mention of any 'local heroes' who took part. If any were decorated, they'd have been mentioned shortly after publication of the London Gazette of 22 July 1918.

Very many thanks for looking,

Regards,

Dom

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tom,

I am researching participants in the naval raid on Zeebrugge 22-23 April 1918. Would you be kind enough to check whether, in the aftermath of the raid, there was any mention of any 'local heroes' who took part. If any were decorated, they'd have been mentioned shortly after publication of the London Gazette of 22 July 1918.

Very many thanks for looking,

Regards,

Dom

Found a small article referring to two local men that were there.

I did scan it but it did not come out well, so I will type it up at the weekend for you.

Tom

Tom, that really is tremendously good of you. Much appreciated, Dom

PS If you need a look-up at NA let me know.