Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Reinforcements NZEF

Gehrig23

Hi All

Does anyone out there have any photos or materials about the fourteenth reinforcements of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF).

Any info would be appreciated - from training in Trentham to their arrival in England. My Great Grandfather was specifically in No. 11 platoon, 'C' Company, 14th Reinforcements.

I have an informal group photo of the 30 odd men of that unit - if anyone is interested in a copy of that photo just send me an e-mail.

Once he arrived at 'Sling' he was transferred to 2nd Company of 2 Bttn, Canterbury Regiment - any info regarding that unit would also be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Darren Davies

New Zealand

(e-mail: ddavies23@hotmail.com)

Hi Darren,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum :D

I can help with some info on the 14th reinforcements. These reinforcements left New Zealand on the 26th of June 1916, they arrived in France at the tale end of the bloody Somme tour in September/October of 1916. Your relatives unit, was the 2nd (South Canterbury) Company, of the 2nd Canterbury Battalion. What was your your realtives full name and regiment number, we may be able to help you further if you gave us his full detials. Also, give me a couple of days and I will see what else I can dig up on the 14th reinf. for you. Would you also like to know what your relative did in France...we can provide details of the actions of his unit if you like.

kindest regards Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the welcome.

His name was Morgan William Davies, #14955. I have an old photocopy of his service/ discharge papers - most of it is almost impossible to read.

Very interested in all information about 14th Reinforcements - I think they left from Wellington but I do not know what ship or what route they took.

From what I can tell he was posted to A company of the 4th Reserve Battalion (Canterbury Regiment) once he arrived in England.

It looks like he joined 2 Company of the 2nd Battalion (Canterbury Regiment) on 25th July 1917.

It seems he was wounded in left arm 1st August (where?)

I can make out the name 'Rouen' in the notes of where he was located after being wounded....maybe that was where a hospital was?

Thanks again for taking the time with this - very much appreciated

Best Regards

Darren

Surname DAVIES

Given Name Morgan William

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 14955

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs Emily

Next of Kin Surname DAVIES

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address 207A Salisbury Street Christchurch

Roll 34

Page 10

Occupation Clicker

Well according to the History of the Canterbury Regiment, I can give you the following information.

(Ref, Pg 177.)

Meanwhile the 2nd Battalion had left Neuf Berquin on July 19th and returned to its old quarters at Romarin, from where it supplied working parties to the front line. After the capture of La Basse Ville, it carried up the wire and standards required by the Pioneer Battalion for the work of wiring in front of the new positions.

The next entry is for the period 05/06 Aug 1917. So looking at that, can you assume that he was wounded during a working party? He certainly was not with the Company very long. (less than a week)

Darren,

Interesting stuff, thanks for his name and regimental number. I know for sure that the 14th reinforcements arrived in France in the autumn of 1916, so we are missing nearly a year if his record states he joined 2/Canterbury in July of 1917. If would be good if I could view a copy of the service papers you have, I maybe able to help with further interpretation. If you like I can PM you my phne nukmber and we can arrange this. In the meantime I will find out what I can about the 14th reinforcements for you.

Best regards Aaron.

Hi

Was very interested to come across this post. A couple of months ago i posted about a Pte. 16578 Ernest Henry Shackwell Piper whose picture i had found amongst some postcards by a Lincolnshire photographer. Last week his service papers arrived and they show that he was initially a member of the 14th reinforcements. Now i am sure Aaron can answer this but on Pipers records the date of leaving Wellington is given as 29/7/16, rather than the 26th June 1916. Would they have gone in two batches? Anyway Piper travelled on a boat called Uli?ar?a (sorry record is somewhat smudged and name is not clear. It travelled via Cape Town and arrived in Devonport on 28/9/16. Piper arrived in Sling on the same day. At this point (4/10/16) Piper is transferred to the New Zealand Machine gunners at Grantham; no doubt at this point he had the photograph taken which sparked my interest in him. He recieved a wound to the neck on 4/10/17 whilst with the 3rd Coy M.G.C (not sure of the action this was yet), but recovered. Was hospitalised with a hernia in Feb 1918, but happily survived the war and married in 1919.

Hope of interest

Chris

Chris,

Good stuff, Yes the 14th reinforcements could have left in two batches, I will look up your man's ship while I am checking Darrens request as well. The 4th of October 1917 is very significant in New Zealands First World War History, it was the Battle of Broodseinde, one of two battles which the Kiwis took part in during the final stages of the Passchendaele battles. The attack on the 4th of October was highly succesful and encouraged Haig to continue with further atacks as he was convinced the Germans were at breaking point. Then the disasters of 9th October and the New Zealanders worst day in miliatry History - 12th October 1917 - followed. The kiwis had a very tough time at Passchendaele, as did everyone. I have some info on the attack for 4th October, I will see if I can find any mention of the 3rd MGC and email it through to you, ( out of respect for Darren's original query).

Best regards Aaron.

Thank you Aaron, and my apologies to Darren, if it seems i have sidetracked on his thread. i was hoping to give some indication of the journey from Wellington to Europe. Darren (and AAron) if you would like a copy of the picture of Piper just let me know.

Kind Regards

chris

Darren,

This is what I have found out for you re the 14th reinforcements. There were two ships for the infantry, and one shp for the mounted troops.

Details as follows.

Transport number 56 - SHip - Maunganui Departed 26th June 1916 Arrived Devonport England 22nd August 1916.

Transport number 57 - Ship - Tahiti Same dates as above.

Transport number 58 - SHip - Waihora Deaprted 10th July 1916 arived Suez 20th August 1916.

Your man would have been on board the Maunganui or the Tahiti. This reinforcement batch was just over 2200 strong. I tried to find out the route that they took but thier are no publications giving details of this. However, often reinforcements, created and published thier own magazines as a souveneir for the troops of thier voyage overseas. I managed to find a full listing of all the magazines. These are very rare but most libraries hae some to refer to. Their is one magazine called "The Taihitian," and it was dated 1916 Library ref sT2c. Go to your local library and see if they have a copy, that may very well be the publication you are after, if so that will give you full details of the voyage from New Zealand. Thier are several other publications for 1916 and I ran out of time at the library to check them all for you. That will be the next trip !! Anyway, I hope that proves helpful to you.

regards Aaron.

a boat called Uli?ar?a

Ulimaroa - a hospital ship

Chris,

It appears your man Piper actually sailed with the 15th reinforcements, he probably entered camp for the 14th, but for whatever reason ( normally sickness) he effectively "missed the boat"when the 14th reinforcements marched out and he joined the 15th reinforcements instead. The same occured with a relative of mine who entered camp for the 10th but actually sailed out with the 11th.

Best regards Aaron.

Aaron

Many thanks for looking up the info and explaining the different dates. Much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Darren,

This is what I have found out for you re the 14th reinforcements. There were two ships for the infantry, and one shp for the mounted troops.

Details as follows.

Transport number 56 - SHip - Maunganui Departed 26th June 1916 Arrived Devonport England 22nd August 1916.

Transport number 57 - Ship - Tahiti Same dates as above.

Transport number 58 - SHip - Waihora Deaprted 10th July 1916 arived Suez 20th August 1916.

Your man would have been on board the Maunganui or the Tahiti. This reinforcement batch was just over 2200 strong. I tried to find out the route that they took but thier are no publications giving details of this. However, often reinforcements, created and published thier own magazines as a souveneir for the troops of thier voyage overseas. I managed to find a full listing of all the magazines. These are very rare but most libraries hae some to refer to. Their is one magazine called "The Taihitian," and it was dated 1916 Library ref sT2c. Go to your local library and see if they have a copy, that may very well be the publication you are after, if so that will give you full details of the voyage from New Zealand. Thier are several other publications for 1916 and I ran out of time at the library to check them all for you. That will be the next trip !! Anyway, I hope that proves helpful to you.

regards Aaron.

Hi All, Thanks so much for the information to date - you have all been fantastic.

Sorry for my delay in responding to you all before now.

I am armed with enough info to head of to the research section of the Canterbury public library

this weekend to see what else I can find.

I also plan to get the service records scanned so I can pass them onto Aaron who was interested in having a look.

I will let you know what I find.

Thanks Again

Darren