Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches at Oxford

Guest Hill 60

I have a copy of Edgar Wallace's book 'Kitchener's Army and the Territorial Forces: The Full Story of a Great Achievement'. Across pages 54-55 is a photo of (quote) 'The Pioneer Battalion of Kitchener's Army (8th Battalion Oxfordshire & Bucks Light Infantry) Trench-Digging on the Outskirts of Oxford'.

I know this is a long-shot, but does anyone have any idea where these trenches were?

I am assuming that the trenches will have been built on by now, but any help would be gratefully received.

Lee,

if you could post the photo - I might be able to let you know where it is and whether or not there is any chance of survival (I lived in Oxford for 10 years). there are many trenches etc in the meadows to the north of Oxford (Port Meadow) which flood in the winter months. I had always thought that they were anti-glider defences from WW2 though

Ok Lee no worries,

have you tried contacting the Sites and Monuments Record Officer at Oxfordshire County Council, Susan Lisk? She might have some information that she can give you. Her email is: susan.lisk@oxfordshire.gov.uk (tel 01865 810825). cheers Richard

• 15 years later...

I realise I am replying to a a thread a decade and a half old, but I today I googled the book mentioned above to see iif it had been digitised anywhere.

It has, and here's the photo.

https://archive.org/details/kitchenersarmyte00wall/page/54

It's certainly not Port Meadow, but could it be Wytham Woods?

Adrian

There's a thread about the trenches at Wytham recently started - have you seen that?

I just realised that you started that!

Edited by seaJane