The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help/enlighten me

priv

Afternoon all.

I have the medals to this man, and they are bar mounted, stitched together, yet there is no 14/15 Star. Can anyone help me as he clearly qualifies for it by the date of entry an it was issued, but was subsequently returned. I realise that this may only be answered by consulting the rolls or pulling his records if they survived, but can anyone cast any light on this one ??

Many thanks

PrivHadden_H_E_MIC.doc

Hello Priv

The 1914-15 Star was definitely returned but for probably no more sinister purpose than to adjust/correct the inscription.

For some reason losts in the mists of time, the corrected medal may not have been sent out or was sent out but not added to the rest of the set by the recipient.

Regards

Mel

The issue of the medal may have been in error date of enrty into the Balkans was very late prehaps his arrival was a little later but not recorded as such.

The issue of the medal may have been in error date of enrty into the Balkans was very late prehaps his arrival was a little later but not recorded as such.

The date is perfectly in line with the arrival of the 8/RSF at Salonika. I think that units of the 26 Div left Marseille for Salonika at the beginning of November 1915.

Andy

But just because a unit arrives in theatre does not mean all men in that unit are present (eg left in hospital). So would such a person be awarded, in this case the 15 star, based on the unit arrival or not?

But just because a unit arrives in theatre does not mean all men in that unit are present (eg left in hospital). So would such a person be awarded, in this case the 15 star, based on the unit arrival or not?

You could be right, I haven't got a clue...I am having a sod of a job tracking down the meaning of the regulations reference. What does strike me however is that if the star was forfeit for some reason, that is precisely what would be stated on the MiC, Forfeit, not Retd. I suspect that the medal was either undeliverable or returned to amend an error in the inscription. The only way you can clear this up is via the medal rolls proper or reference to the specific KR...where is Grumpy when you need him?

Andy

the one MIC I have is for a 1915 star trio returned (as already won a 1914 star trio stated on the MIC) it said 15 star BW Vict retured RvB?303 Star and medals scrapped. So at least in this case it was clear why. Gareth

Ribbons were issued before the Stars, so he could have the ribbon even if the Star had been returned.

Returned under paragraph 992 of Kings regulations 1923.

Re-issued by Issue Voucher 8362/Amendment.

Andy

This is most interesting and many thanks to all who have posted.

Andy - if it was reissued he must have subsequently lost it. I will have to hope that his records survive and that there are further clues.

Many thanks agin

Priv

• 1 year later...
Afternoon all.

I have the medals to this man, and they are bar mounted, stitched together, yet there is no 14/15 Star. Can anyone help me as he clearly qualifies for it by the date of entry an it was issued, but was subsequently returned. I realise that this may only be answered by consulting the rolls or pulling his records if they survived, but can anyone cast any light on this one ??

Many thanks

PrivHadden_H_E_MIC.doc