Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting article but which tank?

delta

Have been reading the article http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War...Cruising_01.htm

which clearly draws on a wide number of sources (some of which i recognise). What I don't recognise, however, is the tank at the top of the article which, given the date of the publication, may have been a protoype of some sort.

The caption states that is "Creme de Menthe"; however that tank 721 or C5 was male and this one is clearly female (albeit a Mark I). The top of the cab is curved, something I have not seen before. I know the website is caled Great War Different but the cab-top appears to be unique.

Can one of my fellow "tank spotters" let me know if they have seen this beast in any other photos?

Stephen

Hello,

I wonder if the cylindrical object is a bit of kit being carried, not part of the hull. The fascines for trench crossing were carried on the hull in a similar position. Of course they were much bigger.

Old Tom

Stephen, I am unaware of any MkI variant which had a cylindrical cab. I suspect the that the photo attached to the "Cruising in a Tank" article has been rather inaccurately retouched for sale as a postcard. For example, the bolt pattern on the cab side is the same as a typical tank despite the unusual shape of the cab. At higher magnification, some of the details appear to have been drawn onto the photograph. Hazarding a guess, I'd say that the source of the retouched photo may have been this view of C16.

post-11482-1173928551.jpg