Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
John84

Ring Paper

John84

Could any 'Pals' please tell me what a 'Ring Paper' was. It is revered to in a article from a local newspaper relating to a local War Relief Fund who helped the needs of soldiers families etc until their separation allowance came through.

From the paper.

'A soldier’s wife whose ring paper was long delayed, to whom loans were made, has now received her ring paper, and returned the money lent.'

Thanks

John.

BeppoSapone

From the context, marriage allowance?

John84
From the context, marriage allowance?

Thanks Beppo, that sounds logical to me. Anyone else got any thoughts

John.

truthergw

I think that Bepp is probably right. The only other thing is just possibly a copy of her marriage certificate.

Tom Morgan

It is often mentioned in articles in "The Times" as being an identity certificate which soldiers who were eligible for pensions had to present to the post office. You often see the phrase, "Identity Certificate (ring paper)" so it looks as if if was an early form of what we might call a pension-book.

Tom

T8HANTS

Could it be popular slang for a marriage certificate, used to prove you are entitled to allowances, and only issued when you've got the "marriage ring.

Gareth

John84

Thanks All.

I think Tom has nailed it, an early form of pension-book. I have just had a look on 'The Times' online, and everything relating to Ring Paper, points in that direction.

Thanks

John.

clive_hughes

Hello,

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames; but from a very vague recollection of seeing one of these documents many years ago (?in the IWM Library) the sheet had rows of empty circles or rings, ready to be filled in with a Post Office handstamp when each week's allowance was claimed.

Anyone else confirm my (failing) memories??

LST_164