Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

JOSTURM

What if the RFC had been at Gallipoli ?

rod.rocket1

Former Royal Australian Air Force intelligence officer Hugh Dolan authored a book called "Gallipoli Air War" published in 2013 covering in detail all aspects of the air war. Essential reading for anyone interested in the war over Gallipoli.

Rod

lancashire

Thanks, Ben-My-Chree Ian Burns also main subject of Gallipoli.

Helicon1918

"Are there any lists of personnel were stationed on / flying off the islands, my grandfather was on the Ark Royal (RNAS Pilot)"...

I've only just read your post from 4 years ago as I'm currently researching my great uncle Eric Barton Thompson!  He enlisted with the RNAS in August 1915 and was on ARK ROYAL by October 1917.  The National Archive tells me that his "BE2c was completely wrecked, pilot slightly injured" in September 1916 and, tragically, he was then "accidentally killed" flying a Sopwith Camel on the 8th of April 1918.  He is buried on the island of Limnos (Greece).  I'm trying to find out more.  The cemetery at East Mudros on that island has over 800 graves, looked after by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and it looks like there are other RNAS personnel from Eric's era buried there too.  Where do I go to read ARK ROYAL's log for that period of the war?  Or indeed anything from the Navy's 2nd Wing (that seemed to be operating from Mudros)?

Eric copy.jpg

Edited by Helicon1918

charlie962
5 minutes ago, Helicon1918 said:

currently researching my great uncle Eric Barton Thompson

Welcome Eric. Did you see this old thread about him ?

Charlie

Helicon1918

Many thanks, Charlie.  I had NOT seen that thread.  Chasing it down now.

charlie962
36 minutes ago, Helicon1918 said:

Where do I go to read ARK ROYAL's log for that period of the war?

try this

Helicon1918
18 minutes ago, charlie962 said:
ago, Helicon1918 said:

Where do I go to read ARK ROYAL's log for that period of the war? 

Now that's a fascinating resource.  But the information seems 'administrative' rather than 'operational'.  There are occasional references to people coming and going (albeit my great uncle doesn't get mentioned) and, even though it looks like ARK is in Port Mudros on the 8th of April, no mention is made of anything to indicate there has been a fatality in the ship's company.  There must be another document somewhere...