Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SALONICA?

aley

Hi all, I know little about this theatre of operations. Can anyone suggest some appropriate reading.

More specifically, I am researching a descendant who served as a staff nurse with the Australian Army Medical Corps in this area, so suggestions to work/s of relevance are of particular interest.

Thankyou for any assistance - David.

P.S. Have read Official History Medical Services (Australian). Small reference on page 659.

"Till the middle of 1917 the Australian Nursing Service in

the east was comprised within the staff of No. 14 General

Hospital, whose matron, Miss Creal, acted as Principal

Matron. Early in 1917, at the instance of the Director-

General at the War Office, Australia was asked to send nurses

to staff four British general hospitals at Salonica. On July,

19th three “ nursing units,” each comprising ninety-one

nurses, arrived at Suez in charge of Matron McHardie White,

and went direct to Alexandria for transhipment to Salonica."

Desmond, thanks for that. I've also discovered it doesn't hurt to do a search of this site first - apologies - am finding some very interesting material with thanks to previous posters.

- David.

Have located following titles so far, interested in additions:

Author: Davis, Robert H.

Title: With the French in France and Salonika.

Publisher/Date: 1916.

Corporate author: Great Britain. Imperial War Graves Commission.

Title: The Mikra memorial, Salonika : bearing the names of those nurses and soldiers from the United Kingdom, New Zealand and India who were lost at sea from hospital ships and transports while proceeding to, or being evacuated from, the Salonika theatre of war, Greece / compiled and published by order of the Imperial War Graves Commission.

Publisher/Date: London : Imperial War Graves Commission, 1930.

Description: 29 p. ; 26cm.

Corporate author: Great Britain. Imperial War Graves Commission.

Title: The Doiran memorial : bearing the names of those soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in the Salonika campaign and have no known grave : Greece / compiled and published by order of the Imperial War Graves Commission.

Publisher/Date: London : Imperial War Graves Commission, 1929.

Description: 2 v. : ill. ; 26cm.

Author: Hutton, I. E., Mrs.

Title: With a woman’s unit in Serbia, Salonika and Sebastopol.

Publisher/Date: [1928].

Corporate author: St. Barnabas Pilgrimages.

Title: Gallipoli, Salonika.

Publisher/Date: [1926].

Title: The ship of remembrance : Gallipoli-Salonika / by Ian Hay.

Publisher/Date: London : Hodder and Stoughton, [1926?]

Description: 43 p. : ill. ; 18 cm.

Title: Return to Salonika.

Publisher/Date: London, Cassell [1964]

Description: xi, 164 p. maps, plates (1 fold.), ports. 22 cm.

Author: Mann, A. J.

Title: The Salonika front / painted by William T. Wood, described by A.J. Mann ; with a prefatory note by Sir George Francis Milne.

Publisher/Date: London : A. & C. Black, 1920.

Description: xiii, 196 p., [40] leaves of plates : ill., map ; 23 cm.

'Under The Devil's Eye' was a book i bought on Amazon that was written by 2 guys on this site and it was about the Salonica campaign. I've not had time to read it yet due to serious family illness but I will do one day. My grandad was in Salonica and I have his WW1 diary that I found last year that made interesting reading. He had 13 teeth extracted whilst on duty and had a fever, which was probably malaria a few times.

Have a look for this book as it is very good.

Claire

I second the recommendation of Under The Devil's Eye, by Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody - an excellent easy-to-read overview of the British side of the campaign.

Also Gardeners of Salonika by Alan Palmer, if you can find a copy - harder to read, but rewarding.

Then there's The Story of the Salonica Army by G. Ward Price, which you can read online at http://net.lib.byu.edu/~rdh7/wwi/memoir/Salonica/salonTC.htm

Sue Light of this forum has recently pointed me in the direction of The Quality of Mercy - Women at War, Serbia 1915-18 by Monica Krippner, which sounds right up your street if it does what it says on the tin. I haven't read it yet.

Adrian

The Salonika campaign Society has a website (google will find it) which includes a critisal bibliography for further reading. The list does not include "Under the Devil's Eye" simply because both authors are involved in running the society. It is. however, a volume I would commend to anyone with an interest in that theatre of war.

Cyril Falls : Military operations Macedonia; London, 1933 -36

Alan Palmer's "1918-year of victory" also has some extensive coverage of the last days of Salonika front in September 1918.

If you read Bulgarian I can recommend you some Bulgarian books as well. Although there are none translated in English, and most of them are pretty difficult to find outside the good old BG :(

Cheers

Nikolay