Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Happy Valley British Cemetery

stiletto_33853

Happy Valley was the name given to the long valley which ran eastward from Orange Hill, and along which Commonwealth troops fought their way on 10 - 11th April 1917 during the early stages of the Battle of Arras. The Cemetery was begun by the 12th (Eastern) Division after the battle, and used again by the 4th Division in December 1917. Happy Valley Cemetery contains 76 First World War burials and commemorations. Six of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to a casualty known to be buried among them.

post-1871-1173742206.jpg

26995 Private

A.H. Childs

Essex Regiment

8th July 1917

post-1871-1173742472.jpg

15092 Private

G.H. Crook

Somerset Light Infantry

25th August 1917

post-1871-1173743991.jpg

Happy Valley was the name given to the long valley which ran eastward from Orange Hill, and along which Commonwealth troops fought their way on 10 - 11th April 1917 during the early stages of the Battle of Arras. The Cemetery was begun by the 12th (Eastern) Division after the battle, and used again by the 4th Division in December 1917. Happy Valley Cemetery contains 76 First World War burials and commemorations. Six of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to a casualty known to be buried among them.

This photo is taken from the rd.& the autoroute bridge is to the right.

If you do a 180,where the tiny turning/parking spot is,& follow the very muddy track for 1/2 ml,on your left is the 'valley'itsself,all the way down to the swamp.

This is in the process of being filled in so,if anyone wants to see it,go quickly!

Look up Monchy le Preux for further info.

Hi 59165,

They are filling in this area quickly and were active whilst we were visiting the cemetery.

Andy

6128 Corporal

C. Harry

Hampshire Regiment

19th August 1917

post-1871-1173745867.jpg

S/17779 Rifleman

J. Theobald

Rifle Brigade

4th December 1917

post-1871-1173746090.jpg

Is the valley being filled in for building purposes do you know, or are they just filling in the swamp???

Andy

32434 Rifleman

W.H. Saffery

Rifle Brigade

30th November 1917

post-1871-1173754738.jpg

Is the valley being filled in for building purposes do you know, or are they just filling in the swamp???

Andy

Hiya Andy,

I was there in december & it looked like land fill to me.Machines with the big steel spiked wheels that we see at the tip.They were filling it up to the level of the main road so they could plan to build there but thats spec only.I hope not.I'm going there in 2 weeks so I'll ask the locals.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I would be very interested to know if they do intend to build on the site, as with the Mazet logistic centre and smaller industrial units on the other side of the autoroute, I am wondering if they intend enlarging that to include Happy Valley.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hi lads

Just saw this thread when looking for Dave's Monchy one. I was in Happy valley at the weekend. It looks very much like land fill at the moment with no clear indication of a build.

Now to look for Dave's thread.

Jim

Interesting to come across Andy's photograph of 6128 Corporal Charles Harry's grave in Happy Valley. For comparison, here is his original grave marker; note the light railway in the background.

Marc