Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Uniforms please

dorrie

post-3860-1173724753.jpgpost-3860-1173724800.jpgpost-3860-1173724753.jpgAny help gratefully recieved re garding these two uniforms. One I think is possibly Royla Irish rifles and the other may be Hampshire Regiment. The photos are of two brothers Cahrles and Fred Ostick, unfortunately I do not know which one is whic. The pictures are not great but any advice would be fanatstic

Tim

MIC dont show either of these names with these regiments , but both names show in the Notts and Derby / RE - coincidence with such an unusual name

Coldstreamer having a bad day

George was in the Royal Irish Fusilier not Rifles formerly Notts and Derbys and it should be Charles who was in 2/5th Hampshires formerly Notts and Derbys. There are four Ostick names on Retford Memorial , Charles Harry Wright Ostick, Fred, and George.

Ithink I need some new glasses to make sure I put righht info on postings!!!

OSTICK

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/08/1917

Service No: 43268

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. C. 11.

OSTICK

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/04/1918

Service No: 260112

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: T. 68.

Cemetery: RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Did think it was a conincidence

The left hand one, with the T/5/???? is almost certainly Hampshires, and the T/5 fits. The other one looks like Notts and Derby to me - Sherwood Foresters, no RE in it.

From my collection

16th August 1917 – Battle of Langemarck

extract from the battalion diary 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers

''At zero hour (4.45am) the battalion attacked. Our left flank was in touch with the left flank of the 7/8th Royal Irish Fusiliers. We advanced from the old trench running between Pommern Redoubt to Iberian Farm and opened fire after advancing 50 yards, with rifles, Lewis guns and rifle grenades. As we approached Hill 35 the enemy opened fire and each company merged due to heavy casualties, Machine gun fire from hill 35 held up the advance for 20 minutes in which time the 7/8th Irish Fusiliers had got ahead of us.

When hill 35 was taken one platoon was detached to consolidate it and the remainder pushed on until it reached a double row of wire south east of Gallipoli Farm. This held up the advance. Heavy machine gun and rifle fire was brought to bear on us from dugouts etc. in Gallipoli and long range machine gun fire from the direction of Aisne House, Martha House and Hill 37.

Casualties were very heavy now and it was impossible to push on and the position outside wire at Gallipoli was untenable so we retired back to hill 35.

The resistance encountered was very stubborn and the enemy only retired when almost surrounded, very few allowed themselves to be taken prisoner. They fought until practically until every man was killed on Hill 35.

Our casualties killed in action 36, wounded 323, shell shock 12, missing 83 and missing believed killed 2''

George went into battle with 'D' company, details on the casualty return for that day report him as missing, give his wifes name as Mary and his address as 5 Spa lane, Retford.

post-158-1174331052.jpg

• 5 months later...
post-3860-1173724753.jpgpost-3860-1173724800.jpgpost-3860-1173724753.jpgAny help gratefully recieved re garding these two uniforms. One I think is possibly Royla Irish rifles and the other may be Hampshire Regiment. The photos are of two brothers Cahrles and Fred Ostick, unfortunately I do not know which one is whic. The pictures are not great but any advice would be fanatstic

Tim

The lower image is I think George Ostick who joined the Sherwood Foresters in August 1914 was evacuated from Gallipoli with enteric fever in Nov 1915 and transferred to the Royal Irish Fusiliers in 1916. He was killed at Ypres in 1917.

The upper image is definitely not Fred Ostick. He could be Charles Ostick who was related to but not a brother of the three other Osticks on the Retford war memorial.

Tony

Thanks tony Do you have an ineterst in Retford war memorial?

Not specifically.

I am doing a one-name study on Osticks = (ostick@one-name.org). My interest in the Retford Osticks is more personal. My wife's father was an Ostick from Retford. His three older brothers: Harry Wright, Fred and George, as you know, all died in the First World War. If you have any information on Osticks I would be interested and if you want to know anything more about their war records email me.

Tony

Thanks to both I am sure you have all the 1901 records etc. But I will keep my eyes open for anything else

The photos have cleaned up nicely

Ta very Much

Tim

• 8 years later...
QUOTE (dorrie @ Aug 28 2007, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks tony Do you have an ineterst in Retford war memorial?

Not specifically.

I am doing a one-name study on Osticks = (ostick@one-name.org). My interest in the Retford Osticks is more personal. My wife's father was an Ostick from Retford. His three older brothers: Harry Wright, Fred and George, as you know, all died in the First World War. If you have any information on Osticks I would be interested and if you want to know anything more about their war records email me.

Tony

Hi Tony

I am an Ostick. My grandad George, was a Royal Engineer in the first world war, and from what I know of him he was in France from November 1915 until May 1917 when he was mentioned in despatches. After that I have no idea where he was other than that he survived the war and was discharged in 1919. Would be very interested to know what you know about the Osticks as we believe we were originally from the Notts area.

Hope to hear from you.

Ged Ostick

The photo showing Charles Ostick wearing a 'T' title may well be 8th Bn Notts and Derby who recruited from Retford and whose title was in this shape.

The photo showing Charles Ostick wearing a 'T' title may well be 8th Bn Notts and Derby who recruited from Retford and whose title was in this shape.

Very good point Mark, both 7th and 8th TF battalions wore that style of title, which I had forgotten. Thank you for posting.

On your number 1 post, the soldier on the right with the three tier shoulder title Notts & Derby is according to my records 13009 George Ostick 9th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters, he was an enteric case and joined 3rd (Reserve) Battalion (Sherwood Foresters) on the 24th March 1916, later transferred to the RIF with number 43268. KIA 16.08.1917.

There was also a 1931 Pte G Ostick who served with the 1/8th Battalion Sherwood Foresters who later transferred to the Royal Air Force with number 403348. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-31094400-1442953124_thumb.j

Brilliant stuff BRONNO, I think that you have them both bang on. Great to confirm names to faces.