Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge - Ieper

IanA

I have a Mini Fridge in the Boot of my Car,great for keeping Food and Drinks cold when you are out and about,and it runs off of of the Fag lighter.Apart from keeping stuff Cold,at the Flick of a switch on the back of the Fridge in converts into a unit that keeps Hot Food and Drinks Fairly Hot.

I've got one of them too. The trouble is that the food/drink has to be well chilled before it goes in, as it takes ages to chill down otherwise, the fridge itself needs to have been running for a couple of hours to get down to temperature (which it loses rapidly when you open the door), and it stops running when you switch your engine off. For day trips out from home, and long journeys with a fridge at the end of them (self-catering hols and the like), I still swear by my 20-year old steel-belted Coleman coolbox. The mini-fridge can also run off the mains, and I get most use out of it when I visit friends for the weekend and the lady of the house announces that their fridge is full and there's no room for the beer I've brought. :D

If the fridge packs in, I don't think I'll bother replacing it, but I do plan to look for an in-car microwave this year.

Many thanks to everyone for their interesting and informative replies. I'm off to dream of a 25% reduction in the Hull-Zeebrugge route.....

Ian

The way things are panning out datewise you may well have a couple of ship mates, at least on your outward trip.

Andy

Fine Max - we can prime the guy in the piano lounge to play some great war songs.

Fine Max - we can prime the guy in the piano lounge to play some great war songs.

:lol:

Don't wear a loose-fitting hat or go anywhere near Plopsaland (Adinkerke)

Do visit the Domein Raversijde — http://www.domeinraversijde.be/

Mick

What's wrong with Plopsaland!

At Ostende to get around the road works just use the 'inner ring road, then the coast road to nieupoort - stop at the Memorial (just off the main coast road). A number of CWGC cemeteries around Nieupoort and Koksidje. Belgian Cemetery at Ramskapelle (You can take this in on your way to Dixmuide). The largest sanddune in europe is near Koksijde!

The seafront from Nieupoort to De Panne is excellant with lots of eateries (Watch out for the G/Dau and me on the weird bikes though :D ). If anyone does take 'small adults' with them - Earth Explorer near Ostende is excellant.

In fact we love the whole coast - combining WW1 research with a family holiday.

(I would not use Pacific and Orient ferries ! - their 25% off is worked on the maximum price. Norfolk Line to Dunkirk is cheaper and better (This of course is only a personal opinion and I would in no way wish to denigrate the services given by Pacific and orient :ph34r: )

Finally - stop and have a bucket of mussels (lovely)

stevem

Ian, had a quick look at the callender and see that October 5th is a Friday, I will probably be travelling the night before on the Thursday the ferry price rises for a Friday crossing ( start of the weekend ).

I then return on the Monday evening, this is in effect a long weekend, which helps the pals in my party as they don't have to use up many holiday days from work.

regards

Tom

We have just booked with P&O going from Hull to Zeebrugge on the 10th September,rang the number given to us by the AA 0870 606 4210 asked about the discount and was quoted 5%,they did not even ask for our AA membership number,which I thought rather odd!,but we were charged £2 for using a card.

Joan

Is Blankenberge as awful as its neo-brutalist facade suggests?

Is Blankenberge as awful as its neo-brutalist facade suggests?

It is certainly busy. The park on a hot day is 'lovely' Typical 'british' seaside resort. The kids love it but if you prefer a bit of peace and quiet go further south - oostduinkerke etc.

stevem

There's a glut of things to see - from the "seafront Zeebrugge" museum with it's Soviet submarine and excellent display on the Zeebrugge raid of 1918, through the Butterfly house and reptilarium (not to mention various aquariums) to the sites of several coastal batteries of both world wars (including those mentioned at raversijde) and the witch of Nieupoort (and the sluices, memorials etc). Various military cemeteries, the "Lange Max" site and museum (if you can find it actually open!), bunkers, shelters and OPs dot the area and the Kollwitz display. I should also mention the excellent (and I do mean it - I loved it!) Chicken Museum at Keiem.

Dave

I can see Flanders has no "secrets" anymore for you ,Dave! ;);)

Avoid Blanckenberg if poss,De Panne is Great on a Summers Day.Another couple of really interesting places to visit on the way to Ieper,are the Villages of Lo and Elverdinghe.(A really good Cycle Shop in Elverdinghe,Bought meself a good touring Bike there last Year for a fraction of the price it would have cost in the UK. :D