Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge - Ieper

IanA

Every time I have visited the battlefields, I have driven from the Scottish Borders down to Hull and, after enjoying the ferry trip, driven to Brugge where I have a relaxed breakfast in the Grote Markt. This year, I fancy driving along the coast before turning inland for Dixmuide and Ieper. Has anyone any experience of this route and any advice for a lone traveller?

In October??

I'm rather attached to my toes.

It's a route that I've done many times (by car, bus and "thumb"). Apart from the summertime tourist peaks (and hence - traffic) I've never experienced any problems and feel quite attached to the Belgian coast to be honest. What kind of advice do you seek? Plenty to see (both war related or otherwise) and, in October, can be quite a pleasant journey.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have good maps and can read them. I would like to hear of things which folks have found interesting - maybe worth a detour. Although the war is important to me and the prime reason for my visit, I also visit such places as the reserve at Blankaart.

It will be a new route for me and personal recommendations will be welcome. I have six months to mull things over!!

Cheers,

Ian

This year, I fancy driving along the coast before turning inland for Dixmuide and Ieper. Has anyone any experience of this route and any advice for a lone traveller?

Don't wear a loose-fitting hat or go anywhere near Plopsaland (Adinkerke)

Do visit the Domein Raversijde — http://www.domeinraversijde.be/

Mick

I have used the coast road from Zeebruge to Ostend then switch down onto the motorway to get to the various destinations to which I am travelling.

I went that route to Dunkirk a fortnight ago, (playing the game..spot the Bunker!) nice drive but travelling through Blankenburg and De Haan as well as Ostend (roadworks) the traffic lights were continuously stopping me from making reasonable progress.

They are also taking sand from near the beach at Ostend down the road to the motorway with some rather large trailer tractors...traffic is getting stuck behind these vechicles with no chance of passing until they turn off about 5 miles down the road!

I'm back over from Hull next Thursday night, this time I shall be going straight down past Bruges heading for Menin but will turn off at Roeselare to get into the Battlefields of Flanders.

The good thing about the Hull ferry is you get a day in the battlefields after a nights rest, same on the return journey a day to do what you want before being at the Ferry terminal for 5.30pm.

Far better than tackling the A1, M11, M25 and M20 before getting to Dover.....A day wasted travelling out and the same on the return. I live a short trip across the Humber bridge to the Hull ferry terminal so its a no brainer to take this route...and at this time of year the cost of the ferry is low...party of three with car £70 each, no driving and 2 nights accomodation with entertainment thrown in.

regards, Tom

Do visit the Domein Raversijde

Thanks Mick - just the type of thing I was looking for! I have not heard of this and, from the information supplied on the web site, it looks as if a whole week could be spent there! I'm sure that I will miss my civilised breakfast in Brugge but I'm looking forward to seeing new country.

Tom - lucky old you! I have a 200 mile trip to get to Hull but it is still the best way. I am slightly miffed that the WFA can get members a 25% discount on a Dover crossing but nothing for us Hull chaps. C'est la guerre. I will not get upset by traffic lights and sand lorries - the only thing which makes me see red is the quaint Belgian pastime of sealing entire districts off for roadworks, and I'm even getting used to that!

p.s. I shall also be going over from Hull again in October, I wonder what your travelling dates are?

regards

Tom

I first negotiated a ferry discount for WFA when I was Tours Officer, many moons ago. The ferry companies did not want to know about any deal on any routes other than Dover-Calais. Having spoken to Brian Morris, current TO, lately, it seems nothing has changed.

post-7805-1173688078.jpg

If you make it to De Panne,i can endorse the Restaraunt by the Name of DE WITTEBERG,Great Sea Food Food,reasonably priced,and an excellent view along the Coast.

A restaurant in Belgium that is reasonably priced!!!!!.......you are obviously not a Scotsman like myself,

I had a couple of teas in a cafe in Zeebruge front a fortnight ago.......my wallet screamed when I got the bill,( it still hasn't recovered, I'm having to give it 24 hour care!).

I'm looking for a thermos flask that can keep tea or coffee hot for 5 days!!!!!

Mind you....a wine and a pint on the ferry over £6:90! Aghhhhhhh!!!!!!! I always take my own "refreshment" but decide to treat the wife in a moment of weakness, after that... retreated to the cabin to uncork my own supplyand lie down to get over the shock.

its not that I'm tight......just carefull,

Tom

Although the WFA members a get a discount on the Calais-Dover crossing, there is a larger discount if you ae an AA member. When you book P&O from Hull, tell them you are with the AA (Automobile Assoc., not Alcohlcs Anonymous!) and the reduction is automatic.

I heartly concur that te Hull crssing is so much better than the cattle-trucks from Dover...and from Merseyside only 2 hours by road rather than 8 to Dover.

Bruce

Also at De Panne, there's an art gallery recommended to me by young Fred van Woerkom.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the artists name but he paints nudes in various railway situations. Well worth a visit - what could be a finer subject. Place also has a small caff with decent coffee.

John

There's a glut of things to see - from the "seafront Zeebrugge" museum with it's Soviet submarine and excellent display on the Zeebrugge raid of 1918, through the Butterfly house and reptilarium (not to mention various aquariums) to the sites of several coastal batteries of both world wars (including those mentioned at raversijde) and the witch of Nieupoort (and the sluices, memorials etc). Various military cemeteries, the "Lange Max" site and museum (if you can find it actually open!), bunkers, shelters and OPs dot the area and the Kollwitz display. I should also mention the excellent (and I do mean it - I loved it!) Chicken Museum at Keiem.

Dave

Although the WFA members a get a discount on the Calais-Dover crossing, there is a larger discount if you ae an AA member. When you book P&O from Hull, tell them you are with the AA (Automobile Assoc., not Alcohlcs Anonymous!) and the reduction is automatic.

Bruce

I am also planning a trip in October and am looking at an alternative to Dover-Dunkirk. Hull is only 45 minutes up the road from me so in that sense it is very attractive, but the cost always put me off. As a member of the AA can you tell me what the discount is?

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

I have just rung P&O Ferries and the reduction quoted is 5%, from what I can make out you cannot book online to obtain the 5%,it has to be done over the phone as they (P&O) have to go through the A.A.,we shall be going in May and September,from Hull,well worth the money instead of the drive from Doncaster to Dover or the Tunnel.

Joan

Andy,

I have just rung P&O Ferries and the reduction quoted is 5%, from what I can make out you cannot book online to obtain the 5%,it has to be done over the phone as they (P&O) have to go through the A.A.,we shall be going in May and September,from Hull,well worth the money instead of the drive from Doncaster to Dover or the Tunnel.

Joan

Thanks Joan

Being the tight **** that I am I generally set off at 2.a.m. from Doncatraz and catch a ferry around 8.a.m. instead of the much simpler but more expensive Hull option. The drive is a bind but the real problem is a loss of practically a whole day once at Ypres. I think that Hull is now a definate possibility.

Cheers

Andy

I'm looking for a thermos flask that can keep tea or coffee hot for 5 days!!!!!

Check out camping/caravaning suppliers for a small in-car microwave.

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman :P

And proud of it :)

SGs idea of the in car microwave sounds very interesting, unfortunately in my hands it would no doubt turn into a weapon of mass scalding. Do they plug into the fag lighter?

Andy

I have a Mini Fridge in the Boot of my Car,great for keeping Food and Drinks cold when you are out and about,and it runs off of of the Fag lighter.Apart from keeping stuff Cold,at the Flick of a switch on the back of the Fridge in converts into a unit that keeps Hot Food and Drinks Fairly Hot.

Hmmm....

At this rate, I'm going to spend a day in Ieper and the rest of the week getting there :blink:

Apart from the obvious attractions of the fleshpots of Brugge, the group photo around the sign at Les Gits and the satisfaction of seeing Poelkapell approach, the Torhout road doesn't have much to recommend it really. :lol:

Tom - (and anyone else who's interested) - I plan to get the ferry on the evening of 5th October and return on 13th.

Many thanks to everyone for their interesting and informative replies. I'm off to dream of a 25% reduction in the Hull-Zeebrugge route.....