Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most Beautiful Warship?

PhilB

A 10" belt was light; G3 an inter war battle cruiser design would have had 14" belt and 8" deck. Incomparable not only can be compaired but suffers in the comparison and she would probably not have survived a fleet action. Hood looked good, but was a waste of time, the concept of battlecruisers had been shown to be flawed. As for going to war with torpedo tubes! Another of Fisher's crackpot schemes.

My understanding is that Vanguard used the guns from Courageous and Glorious but in new design turrets.

The turrets were from Courageous and Glorious, modernized with extra armour and increased elevation for the guns. The guns were taken from storage of relined stock and could have been used on any of the 15" gunned ships previously.

A 10" belt was light; G3 an inter war battle cruiser design would have had 14" belt and 8" deck. Incomparable not only can be compaired but suffers in the comparison and she would probably not have survived a fleet action. Hood looked good, but was a waste of time, the concept of battlecruisers had been shown to be flawed. As for going to war with torpedo tubes! Another of Fisher's crackpot schemes.

Agreed that 10" belt was too light.

But there are quite a few who think Hood was just very unfortunate - Bismarck's shell may have found a weak path only 18" high at the range where she was hit.

And I believe evidence dating from about 2000 shows that Rodney's claimed torpedo hit on Bismarck may not only have been genuine, but contributed to her sinking.

Regards,

MikB

• 8 months later...
But there are quite a few who think Hood was just very unfortunate - Bismarck's shell may have found a weak path only 18" high at the range where she was hit.

And I believe evidence dating from about 2000 shows that Rodney's claimed torpedo hit on Bismarck may not only have been genuine, but contributed to her sinking.

Just as some think that Queen Mary, Invincible, and Indefatigable were unfortunate.

Was that specific torpedo hit any more decisive than Prince of Wales' shell strikes or any of the other torpedoes that struck?

Thanks Phil B,

I admire the man's dedication, any idea of what he's doing for an encore? Ajax...

Thanks Phil B,

I admire the man's dedication, any idea of what he's doing for an encore? Ajax...

Going to scuttle it, I imagine!

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jan 9 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good one Phil. :P

I don't read the threads on ships very often, but I enjoyed this one.

Neil

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jan 9 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has he heard someone's built a modal of the Ark Royal and she is on the way?

Just as some think that Queen Mary, Invincible, and Indefatigable were unfortunate.

Was that specific torpedo hit any more decisive than Prince of Wales' shell strikes or any of the other torpedoes that struck?

Well, there was obviously something wrong with those ships... or perhaps it was the propellant handling techniques.

As for the torpedo from Rodney, if it hit: there was a story from one of the expeditions to the wreck that something had torn either through or under the belt armour like a heavy torpedo hit. Rodney's torpedoes were enormous - 24.5" diameter and about 2 1/2 tons IIRC - although Dorsetshire's were no lightweights either. Rodney did claim one hit, which German survivors discounted.

PoW's shell strike was important in forcing Bismarck to abandon the planned Rheinubung, not AFAIK in contributing to her sinking.

Regards,

MikB

• 1 month later...

Whilst I appreciate that this thread is essentially about WW1 ships - I do like the look of some of the later Italian Battleships. Whilst they are undoubtably flawed ships especially in the areas of armour-plating, gun-control and radar they are beautiful to look at!

astraltrader

Exeter.

I've always loved the painting 'Peaceful Anchorage' by the artist Robert Taylor since first seeing it some 6 or 7 years ago:

RT210.jpg

These ships, although built for war, look serene riding at anchor with the white paint scheme showing off their lines to advantage. And the setting makes this Great War image seem another world from the mud and squalor of paintings of the Western Front. Taylor's painting depicts ships of the Imperial German East Asiatic Squadron at anchor in a Pacific Island bay just prior to the outbreak of hostilities in 1914. The ships are, left to right, light cruisers Nurnberg and Dresden, cruiser Gneisenau and von Spee's flagship Scharnhorst.

ciao,

GAC

the Imperial German East Asiatic Squadron at anchor in a Pacific Island bay just prior to the outbreak of hostilities in 1914.

Possibly Ponape in the Caroline Islands?

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Feb 26 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Possibly Ponape in the Caroline Islands?

That's a possibility. The Military Gallery leaflet for the print of the painting doesn't specify the exact location, but it's got to be somewhere enroute between their pre-war base at Tsingtao in China which they left in August 1914 and their arrival off Coronel, Chile, where they encountered and saw off a British squadron on 1 November 1914. I don't know all the places they anchored at crossing the Pacific. Strange to think that just a couple of months after the peaceful scene depicted by Taylor that the Battle of the Falkland Islands on 9 December 1914 saw the Scharnhorst, together with Spee and all of his crew, at the bottom of the ocean, along with the Leipzig, Nurnberg and Gneisenau (with only the Dresden escaping to be scuttled off Chile four months later). The first and last wartime cruise of the the German East Asiatic Squadron was a short-lived one.

ciao,

GAC

Powerful, fast and well-handled ships they may have been, but if we're talking about appearance, I don't think the German BCs have it. Perhaps they survived in battle because it was difficult to tell which end was front :D .

Without tall conning towers and compass platforms, they don't seem to have a decent superstructure, and any of the British dreadnoughts have a more lordly appearance.

Regards,

MikB

• 3 weeks later...

post-29904-1205457205.jpg

Welcome aboard, Astraltrader - I'm afraid our pal Phil seems to think you're a cruiser ... :D

I am not totally sure what your pal Phil means by "a cruiser" - but I have been called worse!

Anyway - Here is an example of one of the beautiful Italian Battleships I was referring to: Andrea Doria. Although she was completed in 1916 she was completely modernised and rebuilt by the time of the Second world War - being one of the few major Italian Warships to survive, she went on to become a training ship and was not scrapped until 1957.

astraltrader

Exeter.

Andrea Doria was a WW1 design and shows it. I don`t think she could be described as beautiful in the modern sense, but perhaps through WW1 eyes.....? Is there such a thing as timeless beauty? (Apart from my wife, of course) :rolleyes: