Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most Beautiful Warship?

PhilB

I am not totally sure what your pal Phil means by "a cruiser" - but I have been called worse!

For the avoidance of any misunderstanding, I only meant that Phil had taken your forum name to be Exeter (a WW2 heavy cruiser) rather than Astraltrader.

They certainly made beautiful targets for Warspite et al!

Warspite herself was a pretty good (or just pretty?) shell and bomb magnet. Retaining her 6-inch guns in casemates after the last reconstruction gave her a unique appearance, albeit somewhat impractical.

Harley

Was the U.S.S. Texas re-engined between those two pictures. Lost one funnel, and she needed two as a steamer by the looks of it. Or did she have nice new efficient boilers fitted. With the smoke gone no need for those high baskets.

Alan

Texas, along with all other coal burning US battleships retained after the Washington Treaty of 1922, was refitted in the 1920s to burn oil fuel. This reduced the number of boilers from 14 to 6. At the same time the 2 cage masts were repalced by a single tripod, which allowed the fitting of an aircraft catapult amidships.

• 1 month later...

Has to be Repulse for me !

In our family pronounced 'Repulsee' !

Has to be Repulse for me !

In our family pronounced 'Repulsee' !

Certainly an imposing handsome ship Jeffers. Just for you here is my favourite shot of Repulse.

post-29904-1209870395.jpg

Thanks. That is a lovely picture.

This is my favourite. Photographed at Toulon Harbour and hand-tinted. Taken whilst serving on the Royal tour.

post-16973-1209898538.jpg

Indeed that is a fine photo. My only criticism and this IMO often spoils photographs is the presence of the sun-awnings or canopies [to the rear of the ship in this case]. Whilst I am sure they were a god-send to the crew they obviously hide parts of the ship. They are not too intrusive in your picture - but in some they look like floating marquees!

I remember relpying when the thread was new ... but there is something wonderful about a ship ... sort of like a bicycle ... a system whose heart is human ... these pictures are inspiring ... well, all but the scale model of the Tirpitz ... that's a little ... mmm .... weird ...

Some consider the modern battleship, with all its systems, to be among the most complex of man`s creations. When you consider the variety of technologies involved, it probably rivals (or exceeds) those in space vehicles or aeroplanes.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ May 6 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some consider the modern battleship, with all its systems, to be among the most complex of man`s creations. When you consider the variety of technologies involved, it probably rivals (or exceeds) those in space vehicles or aeroplanes.

And the only silicon was in the polish on the wardroom table!

Makes you wonder how they managed. I suppose there were things approximating the role of computers in the fire control instruments and tables - but they weighed hundreds of tons, used precision-engineered mechanical and optical components, and needed tens of skilled operators to function.

Regards,

MikB

• 5 years later...

Pretty the likes of HMS Renown & Repulse may have been but when touted at such great replacements for the loses of Jutland they were in fact useless and unfit for battle so I can only guess this talk is a bit of bravado for the enemy. For those who know that is exactly what Jellicoe stated & he even said they would be sunk by a single hit , and also for those who have written the book called WITH THE BRITISH FLEET around pages 245 & 246 exchange Russian Officer G. Von Schoultz also goes straight to the point when he says, "I had already heard the that the new cruisers Renown & Repulse were in many respects failures." Von Schoultz writes many aspects of the British fleet at the time, all words from what was being said at the time, one thing he does state is all the officers around him believed Jutland was no victory whatsoever for the British and they knew it, seems only modern historians have twisted this point. He also points out it may well have been fortunate that the main Fleet under Jellicoe did not come under intense German gunfire as it could have resulted in the same results as the fate of the battlecruisers, his views not mine.

As for Lutzow, Defflinger, Hindenburg, beautiful ships and much better designed ships that could actually fight, giving & taking & proven in battle.

I don't really understand why people even discuss the 'beauty' or 'lines' of warships - but even publications supposed to be 'technical' seem sometimes to stray into this area.

It's possible that unbalanced or asymmetrical structures in the shape could indicate topheavy, badly-designed or cumbersome design features, but the reverse isn't necessarily the case.

I would take the view that handsome is as handsome does, and a warship that was successful in action is impressive on that count alone, whatever it looked like.

Regards,

MikB

• 6 years later...
On 14/03/2007 at 09:48, MikB said:

Nah, it was us that used the tripods. Uncle Sam used a funny kind of basketweave, not (AFAIK) seen elsewhere.

The Americans built 2 BBs for Argentina, they originally had cage masts.

On 30/03/2014 at 16:31, duece said:

H.M.S. Tiger

PhotoWW1-02bcTiger2MQ.JPG

Absolutely agree. 

28 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Absolutely agree. 

Yeah - pretty. Pity she couldn't shoot.

Harsh. But sad!y accurate.

Just get rounds down the range, you'll hit something eventually. Gunner 101. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

36 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Harsh. But sad!y accurate.

Just get rounds down the range, you'll hit something eventually. Gunner 101. 

303 rounds of 13.5 fired at Jutland and 2 hits posted, was it?

Contrast that with the ill-fated Invincible's 48 rounds fired for 8 hits?

Edited by MikB

I have always liked HMS Dreadnought, the "mother" of all subsequent Dreadnought ships.

HMS Dreadnought was also the only Battleship to sink a Submarine - U-29, on 18 Mar 1915.

As she was in refit at the time she missed the battle of Jutland May 31-June 1, 1916.

Thanks,

Bryan

Dreadnought 003.JPG

Dreadnought 009.JPG

Dreadnought 006.JPG

28 minutes ago, PhilB said:

No takers for modern vessels like USS Zumwalt?

Mercifully off-topic, squire... :devilgrin::D

I ran into the same trap and was about to suggest the Battle class destroyers of WWII