Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

R.N.D. Memorial Plaques

John Morcombe

I have just completed an online image library of RND memorial plaques at cwgc.co.uk

Folk are cordially invited to have a gawp. Tis' a shame most plaques lay in drawers & are never seen.

Many of the images have been kindly forwarded by family or collectors. I hope to encourage others to do the same.

There are also some very interesting RND officer group photos to be found on the "RND Gallery" page.

These really are good.

TTFN

John

Couldn`t help noticing this John. It says "Late issue" but do you think it`s official issue? Phil B

post-2329-1173358122.jpg

Phil, the engraving doesnt look right also as far as Im aware the number should come first on the star. Gareth

Hi John, if your still interested I can get a photo or scan of a RND plaque to an officer, Francis Leonard Rees. GAreth

glad to see there isn't a plaque to Enoch Beard, still a chance of me finding it!

Hi John, if your still interested I can get a photo or scan of a RND plaque to an officer, Francis Leonard Rees. GAreth

Yes please Gareth. Very welcome. Here is what I have on him:-

ex-Temporary Assistant Paymaster RNR

Temporary Sub Lieutenant Francis Leonard Rees Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

190th Brigade Machine Gun Company 23/04/1917 Killed in action

Commissioned Temporary Sub Lieutenant RNVR 25/12/15 ;

Draft for BEF 30/1/17, posted to 190th Brigade MG Company 5/2/17-23/4/17 DD.

Arras Memorial (MR 20) Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, R.V., 9 Empress Ave., Ilford.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Mar 8 2007, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn`t help noticing this John. It says "Late issue" but do you think it`s official issue? Phil B

Dear Phil, I have the boxes of issue & postal envelope. They were issued to my mother in 1997, after a struggle. I hoped to draw some discussion about the issue of WW1 Naval medals, but forgot about the Clegg's medal images. Single entitlement memorial plaques with no medal issue was the one I had in mind.

In order to obtain Clegg's medal issue, I had to do a lot of quoting from the ADM/171 medal rolls about non-issue, late issue, duplicates & the 429 1914 stars destroyed 'unclaimed' in 1934 (amongst which was Lumsden VC RMA's).

I`m slightly confused, John. Do you mean plaques where no medals were entitled? (Very rare!) Or plaques irrespective of medals?

I must say, I would have turned down that Clegg medal as being privately engraved! :( Phil B

I see you have the image of the R.N.D. Plaque in my collection. Interesting story behind the man if you would care for the details and a man that BMD has completely wrong.

Andy

post-1871-1173378252.jpg

Lord Gerald Marden,

I should add that when the mistake was pointed out to BMD along with a photograph of his headstone, SDGW, C.W.G.C., birth and death certificate and service record they stated, and I quote "We obtain our information from outside sources" and refused to alter their records. I have been sceptical of BMD ever since.

Andy

post-1871-1173378766.jpg

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Mar 8 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I`m slightly confused, John. Do you mean plaques where no medals were entitled? (Very rare!) Or plaques irrespective of medals?

I must say, I would have turned down that Clegg medal as being privately engraved! :( Phil B

I meant plaques issued, but medal entitlement not claimed/issued. It appears to be very common for the navy.

Plaques with no medal entitlement are rare, but I have some.

I agree, the Clegg engraving is rubbish, but that's how they issue them now (well in 1997 anyway).

Lord Gerald Marden,

I should add that when the mistake was pointed out to BMD along with a photograph of his headstone, SDGW, C.W.G.C., birth and death certificate and service record they stated, and I quote "We obtain our information from outside sources" and refused to alter their records. I have been sceptical of BMD ever since.

Andy

Dear Andy,

I would be interested in the tale. If you can correct my RND Roll details, even better. I pinched the scan from E-bay, but would appreciate a better one:-

London Z/120 Acting Leading Seaman (Able Seaman) Lord Gerald Marden Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Nelson Bn. 14/11/1916 Died of wounds in 44th Casualty Clearing Station (Gassed 13/11/16) Enlisted 4/9/14 ; Nelson Bn. A/889 22/10/14-13/7/15 GSW right arm, rejoined Nelson Bn. 22/12/15-13/11/16 Gassed. Puchevillers British Cemetery (FR 74) A' Company (see statement for demise of London Z/20 AB S.A. Roberts, Nelson Bn. DD 13/7/15) ; A Bank Clerk ; b.24/12/1892 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, A.J., 27 York Rd., Southend-on-Sea. ; ADM/171 = St.V.B. issued to Widow.

Plaques with no medal entitlement are rare, but I have some.

Would these be men who died at home without service abroad? Phil B

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Mar 9 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would these be men who died at home without service abroad? Phil B

Correct, for the Army. Although the Navy granted a BWM to all UK service only ratings.

The Admiralty seem to have gone against the grain in almost all aspects of medal issue.

John

Sub Lt W G M Callender, Howe Bn, RND. KIA 4/6/15, 3rd battle of Krithia. Commissioned in the field shortly before. Phil B

post-2329-1173459111.jpg

And, as a matter of interest, his brother, ERA/4 P Callender RN, KIA at Jutland on HMS Invincible. Phil B

post-2329-1173459249.jpg

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Mar 9 2007, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And, as a matter of interest, his brother, ERA/4 P Callender RN, KIA at Jutland on HMS Invincible. Phil B

Absolutely beautiful. So glad I posted this thread now. Thanks very much Phil. BTW, I recently discovered that WGM Callender deserted from the Navy in 1902. Were you aware of this? I have his ADM/188 service sheet if you would like it via e-mail.

TTFN & many thanks again

John

I have a trio and plaque to James Evans, 189 Coy MGC, RND. He was KIA on 13/11/16 and is buried in the Ancre british Cemetery, Somme. Would gladly place a picture on the site but struggle to reduce the image size. Group bought together in Birmingham several years ago.

For your info my wifes step Great Uncle, Francis Tebbut died the same day and is buried at the same location. Served with the Nelson battalion. His 14/15 star is still with the family together with a lovely picture postcard of him. I lay a wreath each year for him and his comrades on his grave.

Regards

TT

John,

Lord Gerald Marden is a local man to me, and, with his service record and local information I have built a bit more of a picture of him.

Lord Gerald Marden was born on 24/12/1892 at 32 Alexandra Street, Southend-on-Sea, the third son of Alfred John and Mary Marden. His father was the Chief Inspector of the Southend Constabulary, as it was then. The 1901 Census confirms the Marsdens' living at 13 Chelmsford Avenue (about 300 yards from my own house).

He was educated at Clacton and Brentwood Council Schools and finally at Sir Anthony Brownes Grammar School.

After School Lord became a bank clerk for the City & Midland Bank at Threadneedle Street, London, and after two years moving to their Aldgate branch. At this time he moved to 37 York Road, Southend-on-Sea to set up his own home.

On 4/9/14 he enlisted in London in the Royal Navy, much against his fathers wishes causing quite an arguement within the family. He was sent to the Royal Naval Division depot at Crystal Palace and on the 22/12/14 he entered the Nelson Battalion. He trained on the Thames, Betteshanger and at Blandford Camp. On completion of his training he was sent to Egypt and was promoted to Able Seaman on 1/3/15. On 24/5/15 he was one of the first troops to land on the Galipolli Peninsula.

On 13/8/15 (List # 246) he was wounded by a gunshot to the right arm, in according to the local paper, a bayonet charge, and was evacuated to Karr-Al-Aini goverment hospital, Cairo on 17/8/15, appearing on hospital list # 634. His next of kin were not informed of his wounding at his request.

After release from hospital he went back to the peninsula, rejoing his unit on 22/12/15. From there he was sent to Mudros and then Salonika. On 16/5/16 he and his unit embarked on the HMT Ionian at Mudros bound for France, disembarking at Marseilles on 22/5/16. Lord at this time received another promotion to Leading Seaman on 2/6/16.

Having served for over two years he was granted leave and left his unit on 4/10/16. Whilst on leave he married a Miss Robinson, daughter of Mr. W. Robinson of Avenue Terrace, Southend-on-Sea, and rejoined his unit in France on 15/10/16.

Lord took part in the battle around Beaumont Hamel in November 1916 and suffered gassing and gunshot wounds to his back and chest on 13/11/16. He died as a result of these gunshot wounds on 14/11/16 at the 44th Casualty Clearing Station. Reports of his death were received by his unit on 19/11/16 from the OC 44th CCS in RND List # 80 and his Next of Kin were informed.

He was interred in Puchevillers Military Cemetery on 25/11/16 where he still lies in plot VI.A.29.

CWGC & SDGW list his correct details, however the last time I looked BMD have him dying in the bayonet charge of August 1915. Despite having sent them CWGC, SDGW, a copy of his Service Record and a photograph of his headstone in Puchevillers Military Cemetery they appear unwilling to alter their records stating, and I quote "We obtain our information from outside sources."

John,

I will post a better picture of his plaque for you and if you need them I have his Service Record, Birth & Death Certificate, Photograph of his headstone, local newspaper reports etc etc.

Andy

Lord's story always touched me, being so close to home. The family arguement over his enlistment was documented locally and his marriage to a girl that lived less than a mile from where he grew up, in Chelmsford Avenue, a month before his death always struck me as tragic.

One of his neighbours (over the back fence) Mrs. Whitwell (a prominent local Salvationist) of 120 North Road, was killed in a Zeppelin raid on the town on 10/5/15, it all brings home the local impact of the war.

Andy

Absolutely beautiful. So glad I posted this thread now. Thanks very much Phil. BTW, I recently discovered that WGM Callender deserted from the Navy in 1902. Were you aware of this? I have his ADM/188 service sheet if you would like it via e-mail.

TTFN & many thanks again

John

I have a fair amount on the 2 brothers but not that! Odd that a deserter should be commissioned in the field! I would appreciate an e-mail. :) Phil B

I have a trio and plaque to James Evans, 189 Coy MGC, RND. He was KIA on 13/11/16 and is buried in the Ancre british Cemetery, Somme. Would gladly place a picture on the site but struggle to reduce the image size. Group bought together in Birmingham several years ago.

For your info my wifes step Great Uncle, Francis Tebbut died the same day and is buried at the same location. Served with the Nelson battalion. His 14/15 star is still with the family together with a lovely picture postcard of him. I lay a wreath each year for him and his comrades on his grave.

Regards

TT

Dear TT, Please e-mail the Evans' plaque scan to me at jack.clegg@virgin.net. I will resize & return. Ideally, a scan of his 15- star reverse would be good. There were three James Evans killed in the RND. If ever you get the chance to get Tebbutt's photo & star scanned, that would be lovely too.

Many thanks for your efforts.

TTFN

John

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Mar 10 2007, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a fair amount on the 2 brothers but not that! Odd that a deserter should be commissioned in the field! I would appreciate an e-mail. :) Phil B

Phil, please send me a mail with the original high res scans of the Callender plaques & I will return the ADM/188. I could not find a way of attaching the image via the forum PM. jack.clegg@virgin.net

He served as W.G. Callender only & I think the Navy never discovered this when he re-enlisted in the RNVR in 1914. Wouldn't have mattered anyway, the King gave amnesty to all deserters:-

"In 1901 he was employed as an Ordinary Seaman in the Merchant Service and on November 22nd of that year, he enlisted in the Royal Navy as 217755 Boy 2nd Class. He was promoted to Boy 1st Class on February 21st 1902 & on June 5th 1902 was promoted Ordinary Seaman. One month later he deserted & was not recovered for service."