Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte 331097 J W Armstrong 13th Royal Scots/Notts&Derby

zippy.72

I have just found out that my great-grandad's nephew was KIA 22/8/17 whilst serving with the 13th Bn Royal Scots. He was in the Notts and Derby (19/31400) prior to that. Does anybody have any extra info on him that would assist me in my research?

The 13th Royal Scots as part of 45th Infantry Bde, 15th Div took part in St Julien 1 19-22 August 1917.

These were officially classed as minor operations and not mentioned in the Official Battle list. They did appear in Lord Hagh's despatch 25th dec 1917 though.

'On 19th, 22nd and 27th August, positions of considerable local importance in the neighbourhood of St Julien were captured with some hundreds of prisoners, as a result of minor attacks, conducted under the most unfavourable conditions of ground and weather. The ground gained represented an advance of about 800 yards on a front of over two miles'

The weather was atrociuos with heavy rain making any movement almost impossible. The 11th Div used a complete battalion just to move stores and SAA up. usually one Company would do it.

22nd August -

Fifth Army.

II Corps - 14th and 47th Divs

XVIII Corps 11th and 48th Divs

XIX Corps - 15th and 61st Divs.

45th bde were in the vicinity of Frenzenburg

stevem

The 13th Royal Scots as part of 45th Infantry Bde, 15th Div took part in St Julien 1 19-22 August 1917.

These were officially classed as minor operations and not mentioned in the Official Battle list. They did appear in Lord Hagh's despatch 25th dec 1917 though.

'On 19th, 22nd and 27th August, positions of considerable local importance in the neighbourhood of St Julien were captured with some hundreds of prisoners, as a result of minor attacks, conducted under the most unfavourable conditions of ground and weather. The ground gained represented an advance of about 800 yards on a front of over two miles'

The weather was atrociuos with heavy rain making any movement almost impossible. The 11th Div used a complete battalion just to move stores and SAA up. usually one Company would do it.

22nd August -

Fifth Army.

II Corps - 14th and 47th Divs

XVIII Corps 11th and 48th Divs

XIX Corps - 15th and 61st Divs.

45th bde were in the vicinity of Frenzenburg

stevem

Thanks Steve. I have noticed that quite a few Notts and Derby men went into the Royal Scots. My relative was sent to France in December 1915 (he was 17). There were 106 casualties of the 13th Bn that day.

I would suspect that he was not long with the Sherwood Foresters.

The 19 prefix indicates 19th (Reserve) Battalion which ran from August 1915 to September 1916 before merging into the 19th Training Reserve Brigade.

The 31400 regimental number would suggest enlistment between 7th and 29th October 1915.

My guess would be that once he passed out of the 19th battalion he was transferred to the 13th Royal Scots as a draft.

I would suspect that he was not long with the Sherwood Foresters.

The 19 prefix indicates 19th (Reserve) Battalion which ran from August 1915 to September 1916 before merging into the 19th Training Reserve Brigade.

The 31400 regimental number would suggest enlistment between 7th and 29th October 1915.

My guess would be that once he passed out of the 19th battalion he was transferred to the 13th Royal Scots as a draft.

Thanks Andy-was hoping you would come along. Found this relative from doing some family research. Would maen he was 17 on enlistment.

Would maen he was 17 on enlistment.

Yes, and according to your post above, he was in action within two months of joining up. My guess at his enlistment date could be wrong, but I've got fairly solid evidence of enlistment dates for several numbers straddling his so I'm reasonably confident of it. Anyway, it seems like a short time frame.

The other thing is that he shouldn't have been overseas at the age of 17. It would be interesting to know if his service records survive, because (presumably) he must have lied about his age.