Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Info on Dylawerski-German Army-KIA Verdun

mikevienna

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I'm ex-Navy and interested in researching my family history. I'm looking for some information on a soldier in the German army in WW1:

Last name: Dylawerski from the Poznan(Posen) region of Poland-then Prussia. He was KIA in France-believed to be at Verdun. Is there any chance of finding some information on him?

I realise it is a long shot.

Mike

Welcome to the Forum, MikeVienna.

There is no Dylawerski or Dilawerski listed on the VDK database (WW1 or 2). VDK is the German war graves organisation: http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche/

Their records are acknowledged to be very incomplete.

Do you know what unit/regiment he served in?

Mick

Ahoj!

Dylawerski seems to be a rare family name - Google gave just over a 1000 hits, and I see many to be duplicates.

For comparison - my family name generates a million hits or so, and the most common Poish family name generates just over 2M.

My advice - google for Dylawerski and e-mail all the people with that surname. Chances are they are family.

Borys

Ahoj!

Dylawerski seems to be a rare family name - Google gave just over a 1000 hits, and I see many to be duplicates.

For comparison - my family name generates a million hits or so, and the most common Poish family name generates just over 2M.

My advice - google for Dylawerski and e-mail all the people with that surname. Chances are they are family.

Borys

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The name is very unusual, its the great uncle of my partner-her family originally were from france and had the name De la Ver which they polandised (if such a word exists) to Dylawerski/Delawerski. Her father has a death certificate of him -the body was returned to poland (so i was told after my first post)-I guess this means he is not in the official war cemetery register?? I dont know his unit-He was from Pojevo near posen.

mike

p.s. I have alot of info on my own family from the australian war memorial archives but how does someone find info on ww1 soldiers in the german army? I heard most records were destroyed in ww2.

Hello Mike. Witam.

Apologies if you've already been down this route, but have you tried this link? I can't testify as to whether it is effective or not, but I suppose it is worth a try.

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/DEU/POSEN.html

Cheers,

Dave

PS: I think you're probably right about many of the records being destroyed during WWII. Good luck, anyway, and there's always the local cemeteries in and around Posen.

Just checked VDK for spelling Delawerski — again, nothing.

Do you know if the name was wholly invented, or whether they adopted an existing, uncommon Polish name that resembled their French name? I'm thinking that if it was wholly invented, that would greatly support Borys's theory that other Dylawerskis are probably related.

Mick

Her father has a death certificate of him -the body was returned to poland (so i was told after my first post)-I guess this means he is not in the official war cemetery register?? I dont know his unit-He was from Pojevo near posen.

mike

p.s. I have alot of info on my own family from the australian war memorial archives but how does someone find info on ww1 soldiers in the german army? I heard most records were destroyed in ww2.

Was the body returned during or after the war? During the war was very, very unusual. Could he have been an officer? There is no one with that or a close name in the Ehrenrangliste 1914-18, so it is unlikely that he was a "regular" officer, but few of the officers were.

After the war a removal was also unusual.

A copy of the death certificate would be very useful. Is it German or Polish?

Bob Lembke

Hello Mike,

I hope I'm not confusing thing's here :lol: but here's another link. This one is to the State Archives in Posen, and there's an address which you can write for further information. If you also click on the links on the same page, then these will take you to the files that survive and which Posen hold. Interestingly, the Roman Catholic Records for the Military hold a number of files on those who died in Posen Centrum [1834-1921], and Protestant deaths in the same area look even more fruitful. [1902-1945]. I didn't have time to look to see what was held in other areas, but I'm sure you'll spend a couple of enjoyable hours looking through the site. ;) Incidentally, it is a Jewish Genealogy Website, and there are a number of contacts to be found here.

http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/PosenResources.html

Cheers,

Dave

hi all,

thanks very much for the advice. i will check with my girlfriend's father about the name. The family was originally french and they came to poland/prussia just after the napoleonic wars. It too think its unusual for a body to be shipped home. I will do a bit more digging and let u know what i find.

mike

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

As a follow up to my previous post, I have found some more info on this soldier.

His name was either Kornelius or Sixtus Dylawerski (it was one of the 2 brothers who was killed) and he was born in the town of Polajewo in what is now wielkapolska. He wrote several letters home before he died where he mentions shooting black soldiers in france. I guess this would be french colonial troops?

Would like any information anyone can find on him.

Thanks very much

Mike