Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

trying to figure out what this even is

Xeltos

I think I remember hearing it was french but other than that I really dont know anything about it. And even that might be wrong.

It looks to be some sort of body armour prehaps trench raids? (the spiked glove)

all I know sorry

Garron

I've seen the first photo in a book somewhere and it's an example of experimental trench armour. Not very widely used though.

The second photo shows, I assume, one of the many nasty little weapons used in trench fighting, along with spiked clubs, spiked knuckledusters and the like.

The second Photo is a Type of Punch Dagger,a formidable Weapon originally modelled on An Afghan Design,which could pierce Armour or Chain Mail.

thanks for the information so far. I am using this armor for an illustration class and can never turn down a reason to do some research :D

If you find out anything else please reply, I would be very grateful.

thanks again,

Josh

Some things that have been posted before about body armour in general

PDF file on army armour, page 6 has some pictures of WW1.

Dayfield Body Shield

The forum search (Hiding in My Assistant up above) body armour or body shield will bring up the best results - although there are a lot of missing pictures. :(

Where are your pics from? They're cool, any more?

It seems woefully deficient in protection for the neck, throat and jaw. I wouldn't give much for this chap's chances in a trench-fight against a big Saxon farm labourer with a sharp spade.

The top pic is from "Dominating the Enemy". Can't recall the author but I found out about the book through this forum so the info is out there. I think I bought it from Amazon but can't recall. The second picture is a new one to me and I like it, especially in view of what I sell.

Dan Brock

Plowshare Forge

Picture 1..the Caption Reads:Franco British Armour with seperate upper Chest and Neck Defence.Made up of small squares of Steel joined together with Rings,it was not as effective as overlapping Plates.He is also wearing Xylonite Goggles,and a Steel Skull Cap.

The Author of "DOMINATING THE ENEMY" is ANTHONY SAUNDERS.

A useful book called AMERICAN AND GERMAN HELMETS AND BODY ARMOR OF WORLD WAR ONE, (Partial reprint of a book titled HELMETS AND BODY ARMOR IN MODERN WARFARE by Bashsford H DEAN shows and identifies both the body armour and goggles.

Of the goggles it says fig 182 Splinter goggles and face defence. British 1917

Of the armour it says "fig 207 Body defense of small plates and links. Model of Columbia Steel Tank Co., Kansas City" The pic however doesn't show the mantle (?) neck plates etc. In the body of the text the design is refered to as the 'Jazaran'. The text goes on to add that the design is very similar to the Anglo-French design, but that it was longer in the hip region.

I hope that adds something usesful

Carl

It seems woefully deficient in protection for the neck, throat and jaw. I wouldn't give much for this chap's chances in a trench-fight against a big Saxon farm labourer with a sharp spade.

Nonsense, dear boy. Your big, stolid, unimaginative Fritz will be so overwhelmed by the chap's alien and insectoid appearance that he'll stand there in the trench like a rabbit in the headlights, his spade dropping from his nerveless fingers. Let's have no more of that defeatist talk. :blink::D

regards,

MikB

that looks to me like "dirty stop out armour" ? Its the type of stuff I could use if I come in from the pub, Even if I am only 1 minute past 12PM . My wife considers that "dirty stop out time" :D Where can I get some ? :lol: (p.s. Very sorry to lower the tone ) "MO"

Jesting aside, the cumbersome impracticality of personal trench armour must have been one of the factors that drove forward the development of armour that men could sit in and move around on tracks.

If I were a sniper in an exposed position it would give me some comfort. After all, if I can see them then they can see me.