Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reserve Household Battalion

Mechanic

I have been searching the National Archive and found the War Diary for the Household Battalion but nothing for the Reserve Household Battalion stationed at Windsor.

Did the reserve battalions keep war diaries? and if so where are they kept.

My thinking is that the reserve battalion would keep track of movements in the UK and the main battalion movements in France where they were stationed, is this the case.

PS I have ordered a copy of 'The Forgotten Battalion' but it still hasn't arrived.

Any help greatfuly received.

Regards

Jason

Where have you ordered the copy of the book from? Amazon took about 6 weeks. It's a lot quicker to get it straight from the author. I can let you have the details.

John

Jason,

I may be wrong, but I have only seen War Diaries initiated from the point where a battalion or unit is ordered to deploy to a theatre of war. I know the 4/5th Black Watch Reinforcements (Base) kept a war diary, albeit in France, but not in the front line.

Anyway, hope this is of use

Aye

Tom McC

I cannot quote the source but am sure that war diaries were started on arrival in the war zone - i.e. not in UK

Daggers

Jason

I could confirm the opinions so far. In my half a dozen searches I have yet to find a UK-based unit's War Diary. I agree with the comments that indicate the Diary was only started when in a War theatre. But,can we ever say never ! Watch this space !

Sotonmate

Where have you ordered the copy of the book from? Amazon took about 6 weeks. It's a lot quicker to get it straight from the author. I can let you have the details.

John

Ordered from Blackwells online, I have got authors details if I have any problems with them

Thanks

Thanks for the responses so far, I would seem to agree.

If records only cover the time after joining the battalion at the front, where would details of the time between basic training and transfer to the western front.

I know what dates and that it was by ship then probably train in northern France but that's as far as I've got.

Jason

Jason

Have you tried the WO400 series at the NA ? This has service records of Cavalry/Household soldiers,and may go to such detail as where joined,training,postings etc.

Otherwise I suggest the appropriate Museum.

Sotonmate

Jason,

Here is an example of the first few entries in the 1/4th Black Watch diary, as you can see it starts on the Day that the battalion receives orders to proceed abroad (Dundee).

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1173119217.jpg

Jason

Have you tried the WO400 series at the NA ? This has service records of Cavalry/Household soldiers,and may go to such detail as where joined,training,postings etc.

Otherwise I suggest the appropriate Museum.

Sotonmate

I've got a full copy of his service history thanks, info is basic. training at Windsor, embarked Southampton, disembarked Le-Havre, joined battalion Arras. Am I'm being too optimistic to find out any more details? Like name of ship, did he stay at Borden camp before embarkation?

Jason

Jason

I was at the NA today and ordered the War Diary for the Household Battalion, WO95/1481, but never got to see it as it was already out for someone else.

Sotonmate

Jason

I was at the NA today and ordered the War Diary for the Household Battalion, WO95/1481, but never got to see it as it was already out for someone else.

Sotonmate

I've ordered some of the pages by the digital express service, I did it for the service record and the quality is excellent, just waiting at the mo.

Jason