Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal inscription

Gary68

I've managed to obtain two un-named medals and i want my Great Grandfather's WW1 details inscibed around the rim, does anyone know of a professional outfit that does it.

Many thanks

Gary

Thats forgery - why waste money to get them inscribed when there are not his ? In a frame on the wall you wont know any way

If you really need to please get the word copy (or similar) added to indicate what they really are

Guest KevinEndon

You wont get them struck as in geniune issued medals. The best bet is to contact a medal dealer and ask them if they will do them for you. Dixons medals may help, if not then a trophy engraver should be able to.

Kevin

You wont get them struck as in geniune issued medals. The best bet is to contact a medal dealer and ask them if they will do them for you. Dixons medals may help, if not then a trophy engraver should be able to.

Kevin

Cheers Kevin , Coldstreamer i don't fancy having someone elses medals with a picture of my GG next to them, i'd rather have fakes...sorry copies B)

Cheers Kevin , Coldstreamer i don't fancy having someone elses medals with a picture of my GG next to them, i'd rather have fakes...sorry copies B)

I didnt say anything about some one elses medals - you said you had unnamed ones, I just dont see the point in adding his name. They are not his medals so why get his name on them ?

And there is a differance between un-named and copy medals.

• 1 year later...

I have tried tracing my grandfather's WW1 medals without any luck so have had copies done with his info from the medal cards engraved on them. These are MOD approved copies. I court mounted them myself using original silk ribbons. You can get these medals from Monstermedals.com

They were very helpful. They also engrave.

ww1medals.jpg

It would have been nice to obtain the originals and have posted on many medal sites for them, but no luck so far.

Hope you have some luck with either finding the originals or getting replacement ones.

I have seen the expression "MOD approved copies". This makes it sound as if the top brass at the MOD sat down and fully discussed whether to give their approval. I would have thought that they had better things to do and I would welcome seeing exactly what the manufacturers have that allows then to use this term. I suspect that it is a simple letter from someone further down the chain who replied to a letter that they had received enclosing a copy medal and asking what they thought. I am prepared to be proved wrong.

I have seen the expression "MOD approved copies". This makes it sound as if the top brass at the MOD sat down and fully discussed whether to give their approval. I would have thought that they had better things to do and I would welcome seeing exactly what the manufacturers have that allows then to use this term. I suspect that it is a simple letter from someone further down the chain who replied to a letter that they had received enclosing a copy medal and asking what they thought. I am prepared to be proved wrong.

I believe these medals were held at the Medal Office but were disposed of to Medal companies prior to their move to Scotland.