Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Doiran

Chunkeroo

Hello Forum

Anyone have any info on the 12th Hampshires during the Battle of Doiran? Did they take part in the initial attack or in a support position? Anyone else out there researching this battalion?

Grateful for any help.

Clare

Hello Forum

Anyone have any info on the 12th Hampshires during the Battle of Doiran? Did they take part in the initial attack or in a support position? Anyone else out there researching this battalion?

Grateful for any help.

Clare

Hi Clare

From a quick look at 'Under the Devil's Eye', it appears that 12/Hampshire was in the first wave of 79th Brigade's assault (with 7/Wiltshire and 10/Devonshire) that went in on 24th April 1917 between Lake Doiran and Petit Couronne. It was a night attack intended to use an element of surprise after the artillery bombardment had softened the defences, especially the wire.

The surprise was nullified by the Bulgarians' contorl of the heights which enabled them to watch the troop build-up; in addition, the artillery practice 'lifts' clearly indicated the intended line of advance.

By the early hours of 25 April the Wiltshires' trenches 'were full of dead and dying'; the Hampshires, who had crossed part of Jumeaux Ravine, suffered a similar fate. The officers missed the gaps in the wire, many officers and NCOs were killed, and the assault foundered against uncut wire. Leaderless, the Hampshires drifted back to the start point. Few made it as a Bulgarian counter-attack killed or captured dozens of the Hampshires.

When 78th Bde attempted to break through, its battalions met a similar fate - losses in the initial assault, a few men broke into Bulgarian lines, isolated, little ammunition, capture and withdrawal.

12/Hampshire lost almost 400 casualties in the April attacks. 79th Bde lost 2,497 men and subsequently was too weakened to take part in the second stage of the Battle of Doiran that commenced two weeks later.

Hope this helps

Ken

• 9 years later...

Hi Ken,

my great grandfather served in the 10th battalion of the Devonshire (13210) John Glenister. He died on the 24th April 1917. I am planning a surprise trip for my Dad and family to the memorial at Dorian. I would be most grateful for any info you have on this date and or any ideas of where I could look for more information. Many thanks 

Ben 

As James says

The Gardeners of Salonika   Alan Palmer

Under the Devil's Eye  Alan Wakefield

The official History -    Military Operations Macedonia (2 Vols)

There is a regimental History of the Devonshire Regiment

The Battalion War Diary is  at the National Archives    ref   WO 95/4876

Of the books I think the Gardeners is out of print

The official history and the regimental history have been reprinted by Naval and Military Press

The battalion war diary has not been digitised and can only be viewed at the National Archives in Kew'

You might also visit the Salonika Campaign Society website - although it is I think under reconstruction at present.

They also publish a DVD with maps and much more.

SCS members and others visit the battlefield at least twice a year in groups led by Alan Wakefield who is a forum member as well as chair of the Association.

Keith

Gardeners of Salonka is available on Amazon - a very interesting read, as is Under the Devil's Eye.

my great uncle was wounded with the 9th Gloucestershires at Doiran.

(Silly question, but how do you pronounce 'Doiran'?)

Thanks guys this is really useful. I am a complete novice and this is a huge help. I will find out when Allen does his trips as this may be a good option. I will also visit Kew and look for the diary of the devonshires. 

Just to let folks know that the Salonika Campaign Society will be running a First Battle of Doiran Centenary Battlefield Tour in April 2017. I was down at the TNA at the weekend combing through various war diaries for reports, maps etc that will help us provide detailed on the ground coverage of the various phases of the battle in April and May 1917.

ALAN