Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Outrageous sale tactics

snailybailey

Anybody seen the two 'pair and plaque' sets to brothers for sale SEPERATELY on Speedbid? (item numbers 374849 and 374850). The seller is asking £195.00 for the first set (reasonable) and pleads that any interested parties 'keep them together'...he then has a start price of £395.00 on the second set!!........mmmmm, his concern for keeping these two groups together knows no bounds....how do these people sleep at night?

...comments please, or is it just me?

GB

:angry:

...how do these people sleep at night?

Probably very well ,safe in the knowledge that they are probably going to make a tidy sum on the back of the (unfounded?) sensitivity of some "collector" out there (not me though - they are just pretty looking lumps of metal to me! :ph34r: )

Dave

(not me though - they are just pretty looking lumps of metal to me! )

* Says the person who bought some casualty groups just for the ID tags that came with them, intending to keep the tags and sell the medals - but ,when it came to the crunch, couldn't bring himself to do it for some reason! :)

(maybe I'm more sensitive about split groups than I ever thought! :unsure: )

Dave

Some people will do anything for an extra £5, others won't. It's human nature. If you are one of these reptiles, you will simply be incapable of recognising what the fuss is all about.

how do these people sleep at night?

They probably tire themselves out dancing on the graves.

Not illegal but still not right. Money is a great motivator.

Keith

If you are one of these reptiles, you will simply be incapable of recognising what the fuss is all about.

Thanks Ian! :unsure:

I've never split a group in my life (as mentioned - couldn't bring myself to do it for some reason, even though I've very little interest in the actual medals), but, as I seem to be incapable of seeing what all the fuss is about too, I take it I must fall into this "reptile" bracket?

Oh well, I won't lose sleep over that either - so long as I'm a water dragon and not a gecko.

Dave :(

At least he has not split the medals from the plaques to gain more money. The worst culprits are those who for instance sell a trio and have three seperate auction sales for them. If the medals are not won in the auction bidding by one collector, it is doubtful that they will ever be reunited as a group.

Slightly off beam, Queen Mary, who has acquired something of a reputation as an unscrupulous collector of antiques, was in many cases endeavouring to re-unite sets, suites, services, etc, in the Royal collections, that had been split up in the past - for example, by previous monarchs giving pieces away as gifts to favourites and courtiers.

Dave - I think you have already established that you are one of the good guys with your tale about not splitting the dogtags and the medals. Personally, I just think that splitting these grouped items is disrespectful to the man concerned as you kind of diminish him and also silly, as at sometime in the future someone may well be beating their brains out to reunite what you have dispersed. Just my personal feelings.

On second thoughts Dave, as you point out, many reptiles are totally decent creatures. Please substitute something else that you find pretty low or despicable in place of the genus reptilia. The choice of alternatives is endless.

...(maybe I'm more sensitive about split groups than I ever thought! )

Pull the other one, mate

Yeah, I suppose you're right John :D . In all reality, I couldn't give a toss if people wish to split groups up - it's surely up to the present custodian what he/she does with them, no skin off my nose whatsoever (and I can't bring myself to believe that the memory of a particular soldier is being discredited in any more sense for a split group than it is if it's a complete group that's being sold - the reasons for sale are usually similar anyway).

Truthfully, I think the reason that I couldn't split the ID Tag/medal groups that I have is simple really - I like full sets of things (be it the Official History volumes, 1970's Man Utd football programmes, medal groups or even a Panini World Cup '82 sticker album!!!) and get slightly irritable if it's not complete (slight form of autism, I wonder?).

There you go. Just a few of my thoughts on this subject (and trust you to blow my "going with the flow on the forum" cover John!!! :lol: )

Dave.