Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC cemeteries in Belgium (not Ypres salient)

Marco

Below the final 9 cemeteries from 'Silent Cities' I need to visit to have visited then all. If anyone needs a photograph from a grave in one of these cemeteries drop me a line with your e-mail and the grave ref.

Belgrade (Namen) CC

Brussels CC

Caestre MC

Dadizele NBC

Ghent (Gent) city cemetery

Hal (Halle) CC

Hazebrouck CC

Huy CC

Liege (Luik) CC

Kind regards,

Marco

Below the final 9 cemeteries from 'Silent Cities' I need to visit to have visited then all. If anyone needs a photograph from a grave in one of these cemeteries drop me a line with your e-mail and the grave ref.

Belgrade (Namen) CC

Brussels CC

Caestre MC

Dadizele NBC

Ghent (Gent) city cemetery

Hal (Halle) CC

Hazebrouck CC

Huy CC

Liege (Luik) CC

Kind regards,

Marco

Is Dinard near any of these? I have a Belgian military nurse (Carolina Dustin) buried at Dinard Communal Cemetery, grave 32. If not, please don't put yourself out on my account, though.

Marco

If you could do any of these I'd be very grateful,

Bob

Hazebrouck CCE

Griffiths, TJ - I. C. 23.

James, W - I. E. 13.

Morris, H - I.E.3.

Jones, John H - II.C.30.

CATON T - II. F. 15

HOLT WE - III. F. 3

PENNINGTON J - Il. C. 15

PYE JR - III. C. 6

TRUMAN J - III. C. 29

Halle CC

HARRIS E - A. 30

McMahon, RG F - A.68

Belgrade Cem

SMITH WT - III. A. 7

WARD D - II. B. 5

Caestre MC

BRADSHAW T - I. C. 14

COLEMAN B - I. A. 26

FULLER W - I. A. 25

HIRST J W - I. C. 11

NUTT C - I. C. 15

VICKERS M - I. A. 24

Is Dinard near any of these?

No not really. Dinard English cemetery is near St. Malo (France) and is 511 km from Hazebrouck.

I was in St. Malo 12 weeks ago though....

I have added them to my list Bob. Think this trip will be done in 2007.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco,

May I add one more, please for Belgrade Cem? this is wanted by an invalid friend who is researching her local memorial,

He is -

Belgrade Cemetery - Cpl Bertie R AGNIS RAMC II B 3

Very many thanks,

Bob

Do you mean Dinant, Jim?

I think that I meant Dinard. The information that I have on the woman is that Carolina Dustin served at the Military Hospital, Hoogstade. She died of sickness and was buried on the 12th September 1918 at Dinard, grave 150. She is currently in Dinard Communal Cemetery, Belgium, grave 32. I don't know where Marco got Dinard English Cemetery (St. Malo) from as I didn't mention it. I assume that Carolina is buried in Belgium in an ordinary cemetery.

I was thinking possibly this one, though it's not near Hoogstade:

Cemetery: DINANT COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Locality: Dinant, Namur

Location Information: The town of Dinant is located on the junctions of the N96/92. From the motorway E411/A4 which runs between Brussels and Luxembourg turn off at junction 15 onto the N90, direction Namur. From Dinant follow the N936, direction Phillipville, and the cemetery is approximately 2 kilometres along here on the left. From the entrance follow the main path to the 6th pair of steps, turn left towards the Belgian memorial and the Commonwealth war grave is on the right.

Historical Information: Dinant Communal Cemetery contains one Commonwealth burial of the First World War.

Carolina isn't the one listed, but perhaps she isn't a Commonwealth burial?

I don't know where Marco got Dinard English Cemetery (St. Malo) from as I didn't mention it

Because accoording to MS autoroute there is only one Dinard in the world and that is near St. Malo.

That and the fact that a lot of foreigners think Holland is the capital of Denmark made me think you were 500+ km off the mark ;)

But I now see the cemetery I mentioned only has WW2 burials (109), so she can't be there either.

Regards,

Marco

Marco

I'd be grateful for pictures of these two stones from Hazebrouck, please.

L/Cpl Norman Beardmore, 1329, RE. 20/05/1915, Grave Ref II C 20

Rifleman Alfred James Sherwood, 1902 South Lancs. Regt., 08/05/1915, Grave Ref II D 32

Because accoording to MS autoroute there is only one Dinard in the world and that is near St. Malo.

That and the fact that a lot of foreigners think Holland is the capital of Denmark made me think you were 500+ km off the mark ;)

But I now see the cemetery I mentioned only has WW2 burials (109), so she can't be there either.

Regards,

Marco

Marco, Humble pie time. You are right as I cannot find a Dinard in Belgium when I Google the name. So I guess that it must be France. On another thread Croonaert gave me the following information.

Name: DUSTIN, Carolina

Unit: Mil.Hosp.Hoogstade

Number: 610

Born: Brussels, 2/8/1862

Died: Dinard (Hosp.), 10.9.1918

Cause: Sickness

Burial place 1418: Dinard, grave 150

Burial date: 12.9.1918

Burial place today: Dinard Communal Cemetery, grave number 32

As she was Belgian born and working at the Military Hospital, Hoogstade (which is in Belgium) I assumed that she would have been buried there too. I didn't check to see where Dinard was. The cunundrum is that unless the Hoogstade Military Hospital was a mobile one and happened to be in St. Malo at the time of Carolina's death then I can't perceive why she was buried in France. Perhaps one of the Forum members has the answer.

NOTE TO STEVE NULTY welcome back. I haven't seen you on here for a while. Happy birthday and welcome to the big 50.

Hello Jim,

No problem. It could be that she is int he communal cemetery and not the 'English' cemetery. Really too bad I didn't knew this 12 weeks ago. as you know I would have made a detour/stop for you and your nurses! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Marco

Re Carolina, this is an intriguing mystery!

My first thought was that Dinard might be a misreading of Dinant in the original source. But Dinant, though in Belgium, is also a long way from Hoogstade, and it seems unlikely in the extreme that she could have been buried there in September 1918. Had she died a little later it might have been feasible, if that was where she came from.

Can't see anywhere around Hoogstade that might have got transcribed as Dinard. Hope someone can solve this one!

Marco

Again, if I am not too late can I add one more for BELGRADE:-

HENDERSON, Rev R.M. Grave IV.B.3

Email sent earlier by PM

Thanks, Tony

If you are at Belgrade Namur, I would appreciate a photo of the grave marker of 300377 Driver Martin Ryan, grave I F 2

With thanks,

peter.gower@sympatico.ca

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking possibly this one, though it's not near Hoogstade:

Cemetery: DINANT COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Locality: Dinant, Namur

Location Information: The town of Dinant is located on the junctions of the N96/92. From the motorway E411/A4 which runs between Brussels and Luxembourg turn off at junction 15 onto the N90, direction Namur. From Dinant follow the N936, direction Phillipville, and the cemetery is approximately 2 kilometres along here on the left. From the entrance follow the main path to the 6th pair of steps, turn left towards the Belgian memorial and the Commonwealth war grave is on the right.

Historical Information: Dinant Communal Cemetery contains one Commonwealth burial of the First World War.

Carolina isn't the one listed, but perhaps she isn't a Commonwealth burial?

I interfere just to add that Dinant (southern Belgium) also has a French National Cemetery with graves from both WWs.

It also contains a row of 25 Commonwealth casualties of the 39-45 war (most of them are Bomber Command airmen). The spot is right beside the Citadel, on the heights overlooking the River Meuse. The bridge at Dinant is the spot where a certain 2/Lt by the name of Charles De Gaulle nearly lost his life on 25 August 1914. Also, the single grave in the communal cemetery is that of an Aussie soldier who died in late 1918. So methink the said Carolina must effectively be commemorated in Dinard, France.

Regards to all

SRDV jar from Brussels

• 1 year later...

Hello Jimmy,

Sorry for the two year delay but here she is:

forum121.jpg

A high resolution scan has been send to you by e-mail.

For those members who are now reading this topic for the first time: the original offer (first message) dates from March 2007 and is no longer valid.

Regards,

Marco

Marco, You are a star. Thank you very much. You have set me a small problem, though. You were dispatched to get me a photograph of the headstone of Carolina Dustin in plot 32, Dinard Communal Cemetery. Back comes a photograph re Hendrika C. Dustin. My records show Carolina as having died 10/9/18. Hendrika's headstone as 17/9/18. I also have a Belgian women recorded as Henrietta Dustin seperate to Carolina but no date of death available. It is obvious that whilst I have both women Carolina and Henrietta) in my records that these are one and the same woman with it being Hendrika Carolina Dustin. Firstly can any Flemish speaker translate the inscription please which seems to read :-

Dustin Hendrika C. Verpleegster Belgisch Leger Geboren Te Brussel Den 2 Augustus 1862. Stierf Voor Belgie Den 17September 1918 M.A.?. M.R.K.

And can anyone give a view as to whether Hendrika and Henrietta are perhaps French/Flemish variations of the same name?

Don't make me go back (again). It's a 1500 km round trip from where I live :D

The '?' looks like a Roman V (5) to me. The inscription translates as

".... Nurse Belgian Army, Born in Brussel on 2 August 1862. Died for Belgium 17 September 1918. M.A., V M.R.K."

After the K. there is some sort of symbol.

I hope and trust you are right and she is the one and only.

Regards,

Marco

Ps. below a general view of the mixed French/Belgian ww1 plot. Interesting CWGC ww2 plot there as well.

B_Dinard.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello Marco

I've just found details in De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour 1914-1918 of a relation, Captain Gordon Cowper, who, "during the last few months of the war was attached to the 5th Gordon Highlanders, and in Jan. 1919, while the battalion was stationed at Nivelles, Belgium, on its way to form part of the Army of Occupation in Germany, he took influenza, and died at a casualty clearing station at Hal 2 Feb. 1919. On 5 Feb. he was buried in the cemetery at Nivelles."

The CWGC website give his grave referecne at '23

Is there any possiblity of a photograph?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Hello Chiad,

The topic dates from 2007 when I needed to visted the listed cemeteries. That has been done. Your relative is buried in Nijvel:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_detail...5009&mode=1

I have finished visiting all GWCG ww1 French and Belgian cemeteries with more then 50 burials. Because of the limited number of burials this cemetery (27) it was not visited, sorry.

Regards,

Marco

I quite understand Marco and appreciate you taking the time to reply.

It was a long shot anyway ... and I appreciate the help you have given to others. Maybe some day, someone will be going that way!

Best regards

Chiad Fhear