Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

john william vickers

lila

been on here before but now obtained photo of john william vickers thought to be in tyneside scottish but not sure family tales can be wrong can anyone help thanks lila

been on here before but now obtained photo of john william vickers thought to be in tyneside scottish but not sure family tales can be wrong can anyone help thanks lila

sorry trying to get photo on and a bit stuck

There's a medal card at TNA for Private John William Vickers, 20/208, of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

My understanding is that the four battalions of the Tyneside Scottish Brigade became the 20th-23rd battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers when the Brigade was taken over by the British Army.

Noel

sorry trying to get photo on and a bit stuck

Lila, if you need some help posting photos on the forum please let us know :D it needs to be less than 100kb so it might need to go through 'photoshop' or the likes, feel free to contact me if you're stuck,

cheers, Jon

Lila, if you need some help posting photos on the forum please let us know :D it needs to be less than 100kb so it might need to go through 'photoshop' or the likes, feel free to contact me if you're stuck,

cheers, Jon

thnks noel and jon

i have been looking for johns regiment for ages i cant get the photo on,does a ribbon down the back of the hat mean anything or is that standard.he has no badges anywhere.as for john in the tynside scottish i think it was graham who helped me the last time it could be him the only thing that did not fit was the address he had for him which was durham it should be wallsend thnk you both anyway

lila

ps know he got pension from the army because he was so badly injured he never walked or talked again till his death in the fortys,but i need to be sure of his regiment before i can find him i think

once again thank you

lila

Lila, that sounds like the "glengarry" hat to me. The Tyneside Scottish wore such a hat.

Did you download the medal card by any chance?

It's easy to attach a photograph once you know how. I offer the same help as Jon. Send me a "personal message" if you wish - just click on "aussienoel" and follow the instructions. We could then exchange messages direct, you could send the photo to me, and I could try and get it below 100kB and then post it to the Forum. I have software that usually does the trick.

Noel

Noel

Lila

From the Nominal Roll in the back of Graham Stewart's book on the Tyneside Scottish:

Pte, 20/208 John W Vickers from Fairfield, Durham enlisted on 28th Oct 1914, Discharged 28th Aug 1916 KR para 392, to 29th Battalion. Miner deserted 5th June 1915 Description in Police Gazetted not overseas.

Pam

Lila

From the Nominal Roll in the back of Graham Stewart's book on the Tyneside Scottish:

Pte, 20/208 John W Vickers from Fairfield, Durham enlisted on 28th Oct 1914, Discharged 28th Aug 1916 KR para 392, to 29th Battalion. Miner deserted 5th June 1915 Description in Police Gazetted not overseas.

Pam

thanks everyone

i think this is my man his enlistment address 70 thames st wallsend been confirmed apparently in the newcastle chronicle thank you no 20/208 northumberland fusilers.what thre me was apparently he has a very early issue of uniform and his belt was different from all the others i had seen

thanks lila

Lila, here at last is the photograph of John William Vickers.

Over to the Forum members to identify the uniform.

Noel

jwvickers_2_.pdf