Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whalley (Queen Mary's Hospital) Military Cemetery

CROONAERT

Dave

Thanks for looking and for the advice. I know many men joined and left the RAMC but I've also seen threads where the CWGC have been proved to make errors, understandably with so many but I just wanted to make sure.

Cheers

Barbara

Interesting, I've just looked up Pte Corby's details to add to my spreadsheet but he is not listed in Soldiers Died, RAMC and he is on the CWGC website as being in the Labour Corps.

Strange!!

Barbara

Barbara.

He's not listed in the Labour Corps SDGW either. (Not surprising really - his date of death is after the date that most of the listing had been compiled prior to publication).

Dave.

Barbara.

He's not listed in the Labour Corps SDGW either.

Dave.

Thanks for checking, I did wonder if he may be listed in the SDGW Labour Corps.

I've just checked the MICs and found two for Corby, William B. One states

Northamptonshire Reg - 2112

Labour Corps - 696216

and the other states

Royal Army Medical Corps - WE/4

Labour Corps - 696216

This means the Labour Corps numbers are the same as the ones on the headstone but not in the same order and I've never seen a RAMC number start with WE/ before.

:lol: I'm giving up before I become even more confused. I accept that Pte Corby served in the RAMC.

Thanks for your help

Barbara

... I've never seen a RAMC number start with WE/ before.

It is quite a strange one that. I've got a list of regimental number prefixes that stretches several hundred long, but unfortunately, "WE" isn't on it! (I'd like to know more about it's significance though, so I can add it to my list)

Dave

I suppose downloading the medal index card might help but maybe better to look at the index roll. I'll try and let you know how I get on

Barbara

I suppose downloading the medal index card might help but maybe better to look at the index roll. I'll try and let you know how I get on

Barbara

Thanks Barbara.

I did download the MIC (curiosity was getting the better of me). Here it is... quite an interesting MIC

Dave

post-357-1172961815.jpg

I'm not an expert on MICs but it looks to me as if he entered the war on 3/9/1915 (is it 2b-Gallipoli?), I can't read it very well but I thought this reference was from 1/1/16.

Anyway, he entered the war serving in the RAMC then transferred to the Labour Corp, became wounded and transferred back into the RAMC, probably home service, which would make sense.

But why WE/4 and why Northamptonshire Reg - 2112 on the other MIC?

Do you think the medal rolls will help? I haven't looked at them before but am happy to try.

Barbara

But why WE/4 and why Northamptonshire Reg - 2112 on the other MIC?

The "other" MIC...

(you know - strange and co-incidental that it may seem, I think that this is the MIC of another soldier who happens to have the same name and later number! Then again, there seems to be a little confusion about the issue and naming of his medals on the first MIC so perhaps this is the same man. It gets more intriguing by the minute!)

post-357-1172966240.jpg

Anyway, he entered the war serving in the RAMC then transferred to the Labour Corp, became wounded and transferred back into the RAMC, probably home service, which would make sense....

...Do you think the medal rolls will help?

I'd be interested to know when he was discharged and why. The medal rolls might (and probably will) throw some more light on the situation. The SWB roll would be an especially interesting and useful document to see too.

I'm wondering if he was discharged and then was called back.

Dave

- strange and co-incidental that it may seem, I think that this is the MIC of another soldier who happens to have the same name and later number!

A look at the medal roll should confirm or otherwise. (If there are two entries on the same (LC) roll page for the same name and number then they are almost certainly two different people (clerical error apart))

Dave

Dave, I think this is the same man as the medal index roll number for the Labour Corps is the same on both cards.

I wonder if there would be confusion if he transferred immediately to the Labour Corps from the RAMC before December 1915. The writing for the 15 Star is different from the other two, I don't know if that is relevant or not.

I needed to go to Kew anyway, have been trying to get there for a while, unless you are going or have a contact, I'll get a copy of the medal rolls and SWB rolls and let you have them.

Thanks

Barbara

I needed to go to Kew anyway, have been trying to get there for a while, unless you are going or have a contact, I'll get a copy of the medal rolls and SWB rolls and let you have them.

No I won't be going - I had my 10 yearly (decannual?) trip to that neck of the woods the other week :D . Thanks - I'd appreciate that.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes thats the one , But its best to ask than not to ? you never know "MO" :rolleyes:

I totally agree "MO".

dave. :)

I've never seen a RAMC number start with WE/ before.

Barbara,

I don't know if you've seen it, but I started a thread requesting info on this prefix. Thanks to Andy's (Stilleto) response, it appears that it signifies "Wessex". (TF RAMC then?)

Dave

Feel free Chris. The photos will be on my own website shortly, though, so, if this database is to be published or put online, I'd appreciate it if the photos were credited accordingly.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Consider it done - I already have the details of the lads on the web so this is a bonus to get the photos - my thanks

Chris

Dave,

Am I correct in thinking that the Latin inscription on the badge of Pte. Alston's headstone has been miscut? There seems to be a 'B' missing.

Andy.

Barbara,

I don't know if you've seen it, but I started a thread requesting info on this prefix. Thanks to Andy's (Stilleto) response, it appears that it signifies "Wessex". (TF RAMC then?)

Dave

I haven't seen the thread but well done Andy. (Why didn't I think of that?)

I've checked to see if the Wessex Field Amb's had a 4th line Unit to try to identify the significance of the 4 but they didn't. However, the 4th Southern General Hospital - Headquarters at Plymouth, was administered by the Association for Devon and belonged to the Army Troops attached to the Wessex Division in the Southern Command. That may explain WE/4 to mean Wessex/4th Southern General Hosp.

However, I have Queen Mary's Military Hospital, Walley listed under 'Other Central Hospitals' in the Western Command and that was covered by personnel serving with No 19 Company.

I also have recorded that:-

In Aug 1914 the 2nd Wessex Fld Amb was attached to Sth- Western Brigade but all the 1st line Wessex Fld Ambs transferred to the 8th Div and arrived in France Nov 1914.

2/1st Wessex Fld Amb joined the 55th (West Lancashire) Div in 1915. The Unit crossed to France 15th January 1916.

2/2nd and 2/3rd Wessex Fld Ambs joined the 57th (West Lancashire) Div in 1915, but they didn't arrive in France until 1917. However, also in the 57th Div was 3/2nd West Lancashire Fld Amb and under that I have recorded

Queen Mary`s Military Hospital Cemetery, Whalley, Blackburn:

[Calderstones NHS Trust]

339535 Pte E. ARMSTRONG. died 21/9/1919. aged 33

I hope I'm not waffling here :D trying to look at all the angles/possibilities.

Barbara

Oli.

"Words from the Wounded" was edited bt David Boderke and is ISBN 0861572483 . It's basically a collection of writings by wounded soldiers who stayed at Q.Mary's Hospital during the Great war, but also contains some information and a good number of very interesting photographs regarding it's wartime use.

Many of the buildings still exist today. If you want any photos on any particular sites , just say (I only live 6 miles away and will be going back in a few days to photograph some of the other plaques and memorials)

dave

Hi Dave,

Cheers for this info. I will have to try and get hold of the book and have a look just for interest sake.

I have been doing quite a bit of research into my great grandfather for my university dissertation but his post-war stage in the UK seems to be ellusive. Can hardly find anything!!! I have even written to Calderstones for info but no luck!!

Cheers for the offer of taking some snapps. However, I only live about an hour away from the place myself and I will go and have a look sometime. Again just out of interest. I dont know which 'bit' my gt grandfather was in or anything - but it will provide a connection with history. :D

Thanks Again

Oli

Does anyone have any original registers (2 actually - inter-war and post WW2) for this cemetery? If so, would it be possible for you to let me know how many graves it contained in circa 1930 and , again, circa 1950?

Thanks.

Dave.

Just bringing my original question back to the top of the pile...

• 6 years later...
Guest Ed Boyle

I have an elderly friend who father was treated at this hospital in 1917. She has a number of assocoated private photos and a paperback book of photos printed by the hospital, One of the photos is attached. Is there any history group who dedicated to this hospital who would be interested in receiving copies of these photos?

post-96322-0-48056000-1369327683_thumb.j

I don't know of any particular local group that would be interested (probably several actually) other than the East Lancs Branch of the WFA. However, if any of them depict the orderly staff employed there at that time, I'd certainly be interested in seeing them (especially if one of them appears to have a damaged hand)

Dave

Dave,

Am I correct in thinking that the Latin inscription on the badge of Pte. Alston's headstone has been miscut? There seems to be a 'B' missing.

Andy.

Indeed - I noticed that as well: ie it should be 'labor'.

• 6 years later...

I have recently been shown two photos of men at Queen Mary's Military Hospital, Whalley in the latter part of 1917. Both photos are of Pte Tom William Crosby, 2/8 Royal Warwicks. In both photos he, and in one his companion, are wearing a peculiar form of tie pin I have never come across before. I am at a loss to describe it adequately, so I attach the images for reference. It will be really helpful if anyone is able to identify what it is. I haven't seen it in any of the photos on this thread, and don't have access to the book mentioned.

Cheers,

Nick.

Tom Crosby + friend hospital.jpg

Tom Crosby photo hospital.jpg

• Admin

Possibly a fund raiser pin?